Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Competition: Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked! -- $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting path:

Apple acquires Rivian, RJ succeeds Tim Cook at CEO of Apple in the next five years
Apple fastracks to being in the EV race in an instant
1709862214613.jpeg

"Prototypes are easy, production is hard."
-- E. Musk

My prediction is, should the R2 come to market in 2026 the price will be around $65k (Rivian is already losing around $40k per R1x currently priced at $85k+).

If the R3 ever does make it to market... probably near the end of the decade, it will be the $45k car.

Reactions: WyoDude and Brolan
R2 (and R3) :rolleyes: Rear passenger-side charging ports? Consider they've had plenty of time to think through NACS, the Tesla SC experience, and yet, they place it there? As a Tesla driver, my first response was a face palm. 🤦‍♂️ Someone at Rivian isn't paying attention, though they've even made the choice to move the port from the front left to the right rear. Wrong side. No points for you. Come back one year.

Other than that, yes, very good design (I still hate the headlights). Then again, I don't exactly like the front of my Y either, but...

My hopes are that Rivian will make it through to beyond 2025 on their own, though I highly suspect that the cash burn will eventually kill them before 2026. Apple, I believe, is hedging their bets that they'll probably save Rivian if need be, and they are setting up for the long game right now. We've seen the evidence already in their own car has been shelved. Maybe, though, Apple's automotive goals have not entirely been discontinued.

Being in Illinois, I sincerely want Rivian to be successful and profitable (eventually), and not become lost to the dust bin of automotive history. Right now, we're rather proud to have the production locally. Tesla needs this competition. The entire industry needs Rivian to be a player. Let's collectively cross our fingers 🤞 and we see actual R2's on the road.

"Prototypes are easy, production is hard."
-- E. Musk

My prediction is, should the R2 come to market in 2026 the price will be around $65k (Rivian is already losing around $40k per R1x currently priced at $85k+).

If the R3 ever does make it to market... probably near the end of the decade, it will be the $45k car.
I really don't understand why people are so sceptical of their timeline. They've launched three products into volume production with remarkably few issues. Their production execution of their strength.

I watched some of the walkthrough videos from car YouTubers…overall looks really nice. Only two design choices I can see that I disagree with are that I think they could have taken this as an opportunity to evolve the headlights/front end a bit more, but my real issue is the charge port. Rear passenger side? Come on. Needs to be front passenger or rear driver side to work well with the vast majority of NACS out there (Tesla chargers). I see a lot of people talking about this, and there’s still time to change it to the other side of the car, so maybe they will.

Since we were talking about how much money they’re burning cash…this will help: they’re pausing work on the Georgia plant. Automaker Rivian pauses construction of its $5 billion electric truck plant in Georgia

Reactions: buckets0fun
5 radars, interesting. I’m gonna look this up.

Edit: appears there is no additional info on the radars yet
the r1 platform has 5 radar units.

Each bumper has one screwed into the corner of it, one in the middle of the front bumper. “Removing the bumpers will cause the need for a service center level recalibration”, unless you know how to avoid this.

Reactions: WyoDude
This seems to be debatable. The other rivian thread has the conflicting reports.
this seems do or die for Rivian
read RJs story from his childhood days, a great prodigy to doing something concrete story
I'm definitely rooting for RJ, but he should have gotten his PHD in business, for he does not make great business decisions
he needs to pull in a very smart #2, I hear his dad is very influential, maybe also needed better business training

Reactions: jsight
this seems do or die for Rivian
read RJs story from his childhood days, a great prodigy to doing something concrete story
I'm definitely rooting for RJ, but he should have gotten his PHD in business, for he does not make great business decisions
he needs to pull in a very smart #2, I hear his dad is very influential, maybe also needed better business training
I’m good on him and that company. I don’t care to know Mary’s background nor Elon’s. Idolizing a ceo is weird. Do Ford buyers consider the views of Henry? 🤢🤮

Reactions: mborkow
Both the R2 and the R3 look like really nice EVs. But (big but) they are anywhere from two to several more years out from production. Which translates into, "who the heck knows."

Anyway, I really like the R3. As wife and I already own a 2022 M3 SR and a 2023 MY LR, it'll be a while till we are back in the market for a new EV. Another "minor" concern, we live south of Tucson. Unsure of how Rivian handles repair issues.

Just sayin'...

Rich