Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y cruise db

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading on here about NVH on highway, I felt like our Y is pretty quiet and wasn’t sure what all the fuss is, went ahead and ordered sound kit and seals as mentioned in other threads, quieter can’t hurt right? They haven’t come yet, took a baseline with my iPhone and a Db meter app. At 67 mph on seasoned asphalt reading 66-71 db, highway readings recorded at 75 mph on bridges with concrete and thumping seams reading of up to 79 Ev spike but consistently around 73-74 Db. Curious what others are seeing and will report back once seals and kit installed. Not expecting $40 worth of plastic and rubber to make much difference or I feel like Tesla would have done it in the MY refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Reading on here about NVH on highway, I felt like our Y is pretty quiet and wasn’t sure what all the fuss is, went ahead and ordered sound kit and seals as mentioned in other threads, quieter can’t hurt right? They haven’t come yet, took a baseline with my iPhone and a Db meter app. At 67 mph on seasoned asphalt reading 66-71 db, highway readings recorded at 75 mph on bridges with concrete and thumping seams reading of up to 79 Ev spike but consistently around 73-74 Db. Curious what others are seeing and will report back once seals and kit installed. Not expecting $40 worth of plastic and rubber to make much difference or I feel like Tesla would have done it in the MY refresh.
How funny... I just tested the db couple days ago. Those noise reduction kits made no difference! I measured 67-69 db at 70-75mph on the freeway with and without the kit.

Noise measurement readings on MYP ranged from 62-70db at 70mph on US-101 N through all of San Mateo County. Noise level measured using Apple Watch 6 built-in Noise app. This was the same across the OEM Pirelli P Zero 4, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with Acoustic Tech.

The PS4S are perceivably quieter although the noise level is the same. I chalked this up to the tone or the sound frequencies that are dampened by the Acoustic Tech; what‘s left probably white noise.

FWIW, the rugged textured trunk mat makes no difference in sound dampening either. You would probably need more extreme sound dampening material installed widely throughout the MY to really lower the noise level.

Last edited: