Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y crushes RWD Taycan in drag race. How embarrassing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A significant number of people buying Taycans will be buying them for the badge. Traffic light GPs or Top Trumps comparisons won't interest them in the slightest.

Porsche still make 911s with woeful horsepower, that would be embarassed by modern hot hatches, but it doesn't stop them sellling loads of them.

Also, there is the issue of build quality. One would assume that the Porsche will be more "aligned with customer expectations".

People (european car snobs lol) can be quite sniffy about 0-60 times and believe handling is more important. The press seem quite obsessed about Nurburgring times but I don't get it.

I've never been in a situation where I thought "gosh if only I had a little more handling I would have made it round that corner". On the very rare occasions I've needed more handling a little more wouldn't have cut it!

I'm also unlikely to take my car to a racetrack - and if I did my purchasing decision wouldn't be based around it - I'd hire a car for the day !

However there have been a few occasions when I've been sitting in the "wrong" lane looking at traffic coming towards me thinking that what I need now is a little more oomph so I can get back in front of that truck/tractor/sunday driver and out of danger. I live in an area of twisty single lane roads frequented by those 3 types of drivers which have short "straights" and limited overtaking opportunities where 0-60 is *really* important, in order to overtake safely.

[Internet disclaimer alert and flame thread avoidance statement : I believe I am a safe driver. I do not seek out dangerous overtaking opportunities]

People (european car snobs lol) can be quite sniffy about 0-60 times and believe handling is more important. The press seem quite obsessed about Nurburgring times but I don't get it.

I've never been in a situation where I thought "gosh if only I had a little more handling I would have made it round that corner". On the very rare occasions I've needed more handling a little more wouldn't have cut it!

[Internet disclaimer alert and flame thread avoidance statement : I believe I am a safe driver. I do not seek out dangerous overtaking opportunities]
and yet you have failed to make it round corners on multiple occasions to a degree where not even a better handling car would have saved you! :D

I know which I'd enjoy driving more on a twisty road though.

The Taycan is a very heavy pig of a car. Even heavier than a Model S. It may handle well for its size, but a twisty road is not going to do it any favours. A Model 3 would feel much more nimble and I reckon the Y would probably be better too. The Taycan would be more at home on a leisurely long distance cruise - except it has a crap range and has to suffer public charging with the plebs.

I think I’ll base my judgement based on the experience of several people I know who have driven both extensively.

a quick Google has the MS100D as exactly the same weight as a Taycan 4S, not much in it. The comparison was with a MY anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron_M3
I think I’ll base my judgement based on the experience of several people I know who have driven both extensively.

a quick Google has the MS100D as exactly the same weight as a Taycan 4S, not much in it. The comparison was with a MY anyway?

MY is lighter. MS is very heavy too, some 400 kg heavier than a Model 3. MY will be somewhere in between, probably closer to the 3.

Not saying the Taycan doesn’t handle well for its size, but I can’t see it leaving a MY behind on a twisty road, never mind a 3P. This base version clearly isn’t going to win any straight line battles either.

Teslas are point and squirt cars. There’s much more to a car than the 0-60 time.

There is much more, but I didn't actually buy either of my Teslas specifically for their 0-60 time. They happen to do a lot of other stuff very well too. I think both of my cars are more useful on a daily basis than a Taycan would be. With acres of space inside, the X is great for hauling all our bikes and family gear around, while the 3 is a fun, practical daily driver. To me the Taycan is just a bit of an expensive toy with limited practicality. Too big and heavy to be truly fun, and not that practical as a family hauler. It doesn't help that it's relatively slow in base format!

The Model Y however looks like it will be a great family all-rounder. Let's hope the Porsche Macan EV isn't as slow as this Taycan!