Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y deliveries delayed to missing chargeport ECU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
I was just watching a Bearded Tesla Guy video where he's saying that deliveries are being delayed now, because of supply chain issues with the chargeport ECU... Hopefully they don't start using the gimped Gen 4 boards with missing CCS functionality... Seems like it may be the actual ECU this time, cause apparently they are unable to deliver vehicles.

Since they have not advertised CCS compatibility in the US as a selling point, they would be totally within their rights to install whichever ones of those they had available. Luckily, if this is important for a specific person, even if this switch is done the person could buy and install themselves the one that provides compatibility (whenever they could get it in stock).

Since they have not advertised CCS compatibility in the US as a selling point, they would be totally within their rights to install whichever ones of those they had available. Luckily, if this is important for a specific person, even if this switch is done the person could buy and install themselves the one that provides compatibility (whenever they could get it in stock).
It's still a crappy thing to give customers different products with different functionality for the same price. I understand all the justifications in the world about rather get something now than wait....except then I'd expect that when the part became available they would make it right.

Reactions: Daekwan
It's still a crappy thing to give customers different products with different functionality for the same price. I understand all the justifications in the world about rather get something now than wait....except then I'd expect that when the part became available they would make it right.

You can expect that, but it likely wont happen. I am not making a judgement on what "should" happen, I am giving my opinion on what "will" happen.

If you buy a car in the US, and it is delivered with a non CCS compatible port, and you accept delivery, unless there is a huge outcry from all corners of the social media universe that gets the CEOs attention, they will not likely swap parts for already delivered cars. CCS compatibility is not promised anywhere, so there isnt any legal reason for them to do so, only customer service reasons.

Tesla is not as horrible at customer service as the internet would have you believe, but they also are not usually in for replacing parts that work on already delivered cars for something that was not promised.

Like I said, you can "expect" when the part became available they would swap it, but then you are almost assuredly going to be disappointed. If CCS compatibility is something you have to have, you should not accept a car that doesnt have it, especially since you can see the options on the screen on whether it has it or not.

Enough people refusing to take cars with those ports "might" put pressure on them to do something, but the vast majority of buyers are not here, and wont know or care, they will just be happy to get a car.

I didn’t know until later that our July 2021-built Y is missing CCS compatibility. If I knew back then I probably would still accept delivery because at that point the three-month wait was excruciating, let alone waiting a year for a car. Our Y was close to perfect upon delivery and only the doors needed more force to close. I already rejected the first delivery because it had various defects, a dent, and just missed the cutoff for the new Bioweapon Defense Mode/larger HEPA filter and that was more important to me to have at the time. I haven’t needed to charge outside of home and Superchargers but it still would be nice to have CCS support. Oh well, still glad we’ve been able to enjoy our Y these past 10 months, saving us $400/month on gas, and the icing is we ordered it back when pricing was $51,500. The LR price increases have been insane!

I didn’t know until later that our July 2021-built Y is missing CCS compatibility. If I knew back then I probably would still accept delivery because at that point the three-month wait was excruciating, let alone waiting a year for a car. Our Y was close to perfect upon delivery and only the doors needed more force to close. I already rejected the first delivery because it had various defects, a dent, and just missed the cutoff for the new Bioweapon Defense Mode/larger HEPA filter and that was more important to me to have at the time. I haven’t needed to charge outside of home and Superchargers but it still would be nice to have CCS support. Oh well, still glad we’ve been able to enjoy our Y these past 10 months, saving us $400/month on gas, and the icing is we ordered it back when pricing was $51,500. The LR price increases have been insane!
...you done good......