Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery anxiety? The wait is worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20210620_153732.jpg

Here's Totoro, first car in quite some time I've thoroughly enjoyed driving. The wait is definitely worth it.

Peelz, Thank you for your post.
Yes, I have been caught up in the Delivery Date estimate changing game.

I ordered on May 24, in Toronto, and it has really only been 4 weeks, today, from my order date (paperwork was completed May 25).
My original estimate was 4 to 12 weeks.

But although I am playing the game of watching my estimated delivery date, change on my Account page,
you have to agree that Tesla is playing the game too.
If the dates mean nothing, as you say, then why are THEY playing the game.

I would feel a lot morec alm, if they simply updated the estimate like this:
Estimated Delivery: 4 to 12 weeks
Then when a week has passed:
Estimated Delivery: 3 to 11 weeks
Estimated Delivery: 0 to 8 weeks
THEN Switch to:
Estimated Delivery: Potentially within the next 6 Weeks, etc.

THEY are the ones leading us on, by giving dates, that we hope we can rely on!!!

.. Andrew (on order MY, Long Range, Red, Gemini, 5seat, no hitch no fsd)

Reactions: Peelz
My order date was 5/22, just after midnight... 15 min after a $500 price hike. My big disappointment was having a date of 6-14 to 6-30 and having that change to 7-25 to 8-14. Do they ever come in ahead of schedule? Otherwise I can't meet your 2 month time frame.

Keith
"Do they ever come in ahead of schedule?"
Yes, sometimes they do! I ordered on 5/15 and was given a 6 - 9 week window. I got a call on 5/31 saying they had a car ready for delivery on 6/8. I really had to hustle to get things ready. And the end it arrived on 6/15, due in large part to the fact that I live on the Western Slope and needed home delivery. It even arrived before my NEMA 14-50 outlet installation, but no worries, I just plug it into the 120V outlet in my garage. I'm loving it already!

Reactions: cancoi and Gor-Gor
Peelz, Thank you for your post.
Yes, I have been caught up in the Delivery Date estimate changing game.

I ordered on May 24, in Toronto, and it has really only been 4 weeks, today, from my order date (paperwork was completed May 25).
My original estimate was 4 to 12 weeks.

But although I am playing the game of watching my estimated delivery date, change on my Account page,
you have to agree that Tesla is playing the game too.
If the dates mean nothing, as you say, then why are THEY playing the game.

I would feel a lot morec alm, if they simply updated the estimate like this:
Estimated Delivery: 4 to 12 weeks
Then when a week has passed:
Estimated Delivery: 3 to 11 weeks
Estimated Delivery: 0 to 8 weeks
THEN Switch to:
Estimated Delivery: Potentially within the next 6 Weeks, etc.

THEY are the ones leading us on, by giving dates, that we hope we can rely on!!!

.. Andrew (on order MY, Long Range, Red, Gemini, 5seat, no hitch no fsd)

And then you see a car identical to the one you ordered in inventory for sale and wonder... why am I waiting for a car when mine is in inventory?

Keith

Reactions: israndy and cancoi
Hi. Ordered MY|AWD|MSM|LR on May 31. EDD has been jumping around. 2 weeks at time of order, then September and, as if today, Aug 18 - Sept 7. 3 months!
Lol well hop in the “worth the wait” bandwagon and join the tesla fan boy/girl club.
I have the patience to wait, what I don’t have is the constant lack of customer service and apathy service centers and sales advisors have. I’m reading stellar sales advisors to ones that are non existent. For a company creating a world changing product you’d think they’d consistently hire competent and dedicated front line workers.

Reactions: RatsFPV
Lol well hop in the “worth the wait” bandwagon and join the tesla fan boy/girl club.
I have the patience to wait, what I don’t have is the constant lack of customer service and apathy service centers and sales advisors have. I’m reading stellar sales advisors to ones that are non existent. For a company creating a world changing product you’d think they’d consistently hire competent and dedicated front line workers.

have you had a foul experience then? or just hearsay? I haven't as yet had an issue that needed major service, I believe, i discovered that when I was texting, it was going into thin air. lol I think they use a messaging system that generates a number to text from.

Every time I called I was met with as much info as they could give me and very helpful I stand by my review. Over a month in the love affair continues. Weve saved $160 in gas in her commute alone and thats with a very heavy right foot.

to those waiting... if you read this again, do not be discouraged.

get yourself set on the LAST date in your original estimate and be ready for THAT DAY. the other dates are automated but not attached to YOUR car. Its a possible date range based one production scheduling and numbers as well as config along with transportation solutions.

Reactions: Gor-Gor
have you had a foul experience then? or just hearsay? I haven't as yet had an issue that needed major service, I believe, i discovered that when I was texting, it was going into thin air. lol I think they use a messaging system that generates a number to text from.

Every time I called I was met with as much info as they could give me and very helpful I stand by my review. Over a month in the love affair continues. Weve saved $160 in gas in her commute alone and thats with a very heavy right foot.

to those waiting... if you read this again, do not be discouraged.

get yourself set on the LAST date in your original estimate and be ready for THAT DAY. the other dates are automated but not attached to YOUR car. Its a possible date range based one production scheduling and numbers as well as config along with transportation solutions.
Mix of actual experience vs hearsay (people posting on this forum). I was prepared to take delivery based on my LAST day of my EDD which was 4 to 10 weeks back in March. Then it’s changed multiple times and as of today it’s September 30th. not sure what to expect because my SA has been non existent snd those that I’ve spoken with at the delivery center to the showroom have said your order is popular and filling as fast as we can so just have to wait but it’s worth it. Of course I know it’s worth it with savings and technology features. And I urge people to wait, but what I don’t urge people to do is put up with useless customer service. Even the solar panel installs have been horrible in experience. So product = worth the wait, company = not the best

I'm satisfied with my SA. He called me the day after I ordered and we've stayed in touch via text. He's responsive to my questions. If he could only make my car come sooner. Now EDD 8/20 - 9/7.

I'm satisfied with my SA. He called me the day after I ordered and we've stayed in touch via text. He's responsive to my questions. If he could only make my car come sooner. Now EDD 8/20 - 9/7.
perfect, I've learned, and I'm sure I'm an echo chamber for others, that at the end of the day we just wait and the product itself would be great to have when we have it. The SA assigned and customer support in general are at this point great, or just not existent, there isn't really a middle ground.

I've come to terms with the EDD being all over the place and also receiving no support whatsoever outside of hearing "it's pushed back and it's just an estimate" for delivery and items.

I think what I'm most concerned about is that there's this little change where orders that are not getting filled with price points at a lower "reserve" level will not be filled over time until the end user just opts for paying the higher price model / inventory car. Does that make sense? IE an order from February of this year is priced almost 3500 less than an order placed right now. After all, the company is for profit, so why not fill orders with higher price points and just fill the lower price orders when there's a stable supply or till the user gives up and buys a higher price inventory?

perfect, I've learned, and I'm sure I'm an echo chamber for others, that at the end of the day we just wait and the product itself would be great to have when we have it. The SA assigned and customer support in general are at this point great, or just not existent, there isn't really a middle ground.

I've come to terms with the EDD being all over the place and also receiving no support whatsoever outside of hearing "it's pushed back and it's just an estimate" for delivery and items.

I think what I'm most concerned about is that there's this little change where orders that are not getting filled with price points at a lower "reserve" level will not be filled over time until the end user just opts for paying the higher price model / inventory car. Does that make sense? IE an order from February of this year is priced almost 3500 less than an order placed right now. After all, the company is for profit, so why not fill orders with higher price points and just fill the lower price orders when there's a stable supply or till the user gives up and buys a higher price
It’s the same reason that traditional car dealers are able to charge Added Dealer Markups (ADM)on high-demand cars.. Because people pay it. We are a got-to-have-it-now society, and they absolutely take advantage of that.

Mix of actual experience vs hearsay (people posting on this forum). I was prepared to take delivery based on my LAST day of my EDD which was 4 to 10 weeks back in March. Then it’s changed multiple times and as of today it’s September 30th. not sure what to expect because my SA has been non existent snd those that I’ve spoken with at the delivery center to the showroom have said your order is popular and filling as fast as we can so just have to wait but it’s worth it. Of course I know it’s worth it with savings and technology features. And I urge people to wait, but what I don’t urge people to do is put up with useless customer service. Even the solar panel installs have been horrible in experience. So product = worth the wait, company = not the best

I can agree with that. Growing pains are likely highlighting some issues. I wouldnt accept it either. Luckily ours was a decent experience, except for maybe I knew as much or more than they did when asking questions during the wait lol

It’s the same reason that traditional car dealers are able to charge Added Dealer Markups (ADM)on high-demand cars.. Because people pay it. We are a got-to-have-it-now society, and they absolutely take advantage of that.

THIS^^^^^ 10/10.

The EDD. I implore you to stick where the sun isnt shining. There is a belief is that they are scheduling production for and building YOUR car. that isnt happening. They just build batches based on demand and then if youre next in the queue when your config is built and the transport to your location has a solution, at that time, you get matched. That is why the EDD thing is a tennis match. I got sucked into that.

for fun, Look up "gabeincal" on YT Fill your time by watching the plant flyover vids. theyre building a TON of cars there. Some go on trains, some go on trucks.... some get delivered right there.....

The SC honestly doesn't know but maybe a slight detail more than you can see on your profile. It isn't like BMW motorcycles (until recently) where you could track it to the minute then follow the ship it was on lol which is what I envisioned when I ordered. At delivery, I was given a survey, and that was my main note. Let people know that, explain the EDD a little better, so they can be more relaxed. Probably get less bad reviews..

and another EDD update this morning... My car is now locked in the third quarter. 8/9 - 8/29. While i know i should be happy that it's no longer in september, being at the end of the quarter means that 1) my car might be rushed to delivery and may therefore have assembly/cosmetic issues that require post-delivery attention and/or 2) tesla might de-vin me and (is that a thing?) and assign the car to someone in Calif to deliver rather than ship it to me in ny. My cousin says that elon is focused on space and it might be easier for him to manage a rocket than the delivery of cars.

and another EDD update this morning... My car is now locked in the third quarter. 8/9 - 8/29. While i know i should be happy that it's no longer in september, being at the end of the quarter means that 1) my car might be rushed to delivery and may therefore have assembly/cosmetic issues that require post-delivery attention and/or 2) tesla might de-vin me and (is that a thing?) and assign the car to someone in Calif to deliver rather than ship it to me in ny. My cousin says that elon is focused on space and it might be easier for him to manage a rocket than the delivery of cars.

remain calm, all will be well.

Musk is focused on many things(that can be much of the problem) LOL but he knows he cant do the rocket thing without the car thing.

Consider this an Ode to the "current delivery times" thread! Hilarious and therapeutic. This is a little long and rambly, but maybe itll help someone.

Stick with it, dont get sucked into the "its a conspiracy" rabbit hole. LOL

It is easy to get caught up in the madness of hoping for a quick delivery, then having your emotions toyed with by checking the delivery estimate date in your account repeatedly. I know I did. :) What I found: Fun, but all but pointless. That date is not based on a single car that's built for you, like I thought.

I expected... Order>issue VIN>Get production schedule>car built> wait for transportation/delivery. It is clear to me, a couple of those are opposite. They mass produce based on ordered configs, and schedule the production from that list to match transportation solutions-rail or truck. I bet it really is a huge task, but it seems they have a good handle on it. But they cant give you an exact day, because they don't have an exact car!

*how it started

Probably 2014-15. I was at an OLD tesla sales office in a minimall in a chicago suburb. I was already watching them, but at that time, I was not a buyer. Cost, range, charging. ETC. I did however know for sure we would swap to EV at least partially at some point. Then, Over time, I often visited Tesla Site, would build our color combo, usually ending with a LOADED X with blue and white lol Completely impractical. We had the 2012 Nissan pathfinder at the time. Though not in a hurry, Our target vehicle to replace it, was a toyota Four runner. Requiring, body on frame (real SUV-i refuse to pay SUV price for a crossover) It had to be small enough for our garage and can tow a boat. Nissan switched to glorified minivan status in 2013.

March 28th, Mrs. and I were taking an early spring motorcycle ride, she sees a blue one Four Runner the Toyota lot. We looked, adn drove, really liked it... but, could not find what we would want. Blue/cream interior limited. I didnt like the boy racer looking off road one, that everyone seems to have. So many pointless buttons :) THey said a few months to order, but then only kept sending me ads for ones I DIDNT want. And the price! 50+! for a car that wouldnt do much more than the Nissan... so we were sorta of going back and forth on it, couldn't get excited. She casually mentions, "what about that Tesla?" She knew nothing about them really. So, I tell her about The 3 and the Y explaining the 4 models and their missions and stats(and prices), While talking, we realize, well need a 4th car for younger son, and decide we could keep the Nissan-which removes the Body on frame SUV requirement.. I show her some vids of the Y, and show her the Blue/white option. She's SOLD. I conjure the thought of the 240 in the garage, along with the range and the Supercharger network.... and I'm like "hey wait we need to look at it fuirst though" SO we schedule. It takes a week to get time to go to Bloomington, Ill to drive it. its a 3 hr drive away for us.

April 6th. We drive it. Wish I would have ordered it the moment we decided. Totally blown away, ordered on the spot. lol

Wait...wait...check dates....repeat. Put in 240 outlet-wait some more- buys some accessories(mudflaps, floormats, console trays)-wait some more-start to get antsy mid-late may... Get a vin 5-26! THEN, Vin pulled back due to system error!!! <help>2 days later 5-28, VIN again! Get a call from Tesla to schedule June 5th. Then comes a bit of a rush to get the financing through local cred union done. But we had a check to give Tesla. The wait was 60 days. Picked it up June 5 10 am.

Delivery day: The entire experience took 27 minutes. The game has changed for me here. I looked at the car, while SA guy grabbed paperwork, I had to sign two things which took 5 minutes. I didn't find any flaws that a little cleanup by me couldn't handle. Plastic wrap around the seat base, and a some around the headliner(a little pain but I got it) glue... smudgy windows. Greasy finger print inside on the B pillar. A drip of something on the headliner above the driver sun shade. Some paint swirls, Ill handle with a polish. *****It should be noted that I was an auto detailer for a new car dealer in a past life, part of my job was checking cars in. SO all of this is in my skill set. I could see how some of that, someone would be put off without said skill. I'm not.

SO basically,

The car is worth the wait! It is 15 grand more than any other car we've bought, but have ZERO buyers remorse. I haven't been able to get excited about cars in over a decade. There hasn't been any real innovation, other than price increase. I require a new car do everything better or be different than the car it replaces. And Im not sure you could do that better than this Y.

As far as the car itself...It was fine. No more panel gaps or alignment issues than my VW.

If I had to put checks in the negative, section.. It gets a bad rap for hard suspension. and I can see that. If you're coming from a luxury vehicle. It is harsh, but no harsher than our pathfinder we have. So It's Noticeable but not a big issue here. I suppose it highlights a juxtaposition to how nice and futuristic the interior is, and the buttery smooth drivetrain, putting a microscope on the harshness....

The weak metal on the front trunk. feels quite flimsy when closing it. Even using their technique, I Feel like paint could crack at some point maybe on a cold day. Have to be careful.... Maybe add an autocloser...or I suppose Ill get used to it.

day 3, 2 charging cycles, all from friend and fam demo rides lol still love it.

quick note-On the way home, we stopped at a SC to top off, so we had more power when we got home to play with it, and to just try it out not at a time we were on a time constraint. thoroughly enjoyed that experience! And using a referral code from a fellow owner on this site, enjoyed it EVEN MORE.

Very cool to see someone else with excellent taste there!!!!!! *photo failed to upload-ill fix shortly*

View attachment 670542
Great read, Thank you for the post! I'm super excited. Getting Deep Blue Perf with White interior. I'm a little savage about anyone eating food in cars I own, so hoping the white will stay white for quite some time.

Reactions: Ormond