Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y (EU) charging performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inventory cars are appearing via third party sites now, this one has a build date on 11 Oct and is still using the 74/75kwh LG battery. If they have changed the battery, its very recent and getting tight to get here for Q4. I must admit I'd not want one of the early deliveries this quarter.
At least 3 of the cars added to inventory are on their way to Koper. It very much looks like these came from the ship DonPasquale. This ship left Shanghai on September 20 (imo my2021) and is expected to have only a few M3/MY on board. I don't think we can conclude anything meaningful until the first ships loaded after October 1 arrive at Zeebrugge. I pinned all my hopes on Lake Fuxias or Lake Geneva.

Inventory cars are appearing via third party sites now, this one has a build date on 11 Oct and is still using the 74/75kwh LG battery. If they have changed the battery, its very recent and getting tight to get here for Q4. I must admit I'd not want one of the early deliveries this quarter.

Spec and details

Image from Tesla (used an image as if it sells, it will disappear)

View attachment 723934
Yes, I've come across these fours cars today as well. A bit disappointing, but there was an upside too...

Just stepped upon a (very probable) first listing of the new LG 82kWh battery pack on Tesla-Info.
  • Model 3 LR 2021 MIC on its way to Australia
  • Option Code BT43 -> 82kWh with no information about Manufacturer
  • Still listed as WLTP 580km, but I believe that is not too important. Maybe the range hasnt changed there. I dont know the Aussie market.
Source:

the Hong Kong Model Y also had this BT43 battery pack code with WLTP 547 km. I guess we are not getting the 82 kWh battery in EU this quarter :( ?
I am still pretty confident, that the EU will get the larger BT43 LG 5L packs ins the Model Y. Another hint is, that the Model Y was certified in Australia in the of September. Three versions were certified with the same names as in the EU.
  • Y6LR SR
  • Y5LD LR
  • Y5LD P
No Y5CD with the old LG 5C 75kWh pack and deliveries are supposed to start in Q4 (or Q1).

@eivissa, do you expect the Model Y LR with BT43 pack to get a new article number (other than MTY07)? Received my final invoice yesterday stating MTY07 (VIN 1168xx) and an estimated time of delivery of 11/26/2021.
I didnt really follow the name scheme of how the different models were called in the invoice to be honest. Generally I am still positive that the later MYLR deliveries for EU will have the larger LG battery pack. We are also still waiting for the VIN scheme to change to 2022 model year.

Interesting read, so current EU orders should not expect the new 82kw battery.

The question remains if we should hold off ordering a MY…

I can’t believe the MY MIG will remail the same price (currently €63.000 in Belgium) with potentially:

- better battery pack (be it new LG or the 4680)
- casted front/rear
- better paint
- (maybe) better finishing
- rumours of air suspension (harsh suspension seems the biggest issue in reviews)
- rumours of the plaid front motor on the rear

Still hesitating as most of these updates are unsure, and will hardly affect my daily use (charging at home, small round trips,…) actually, an updated suspension is the one i would be waiting the most.

Maybe a higher reselling value, but at what cost.

Interesting read, so current EU orders should not expect the new 82kw battery.

The question remains if we should hold off ordering a MY…

I can’t believe the MY MIG will remail the same price (currently €63.000 in Belgium) with potentially:

- better battery pack (be it new LG or the 4680)
- casted front/rear
- better paint
- (maybe) better finishing
- rumours of air suspension (harsh suspension seems the biggest issue in reviews)
- rumours of the plaid front motor on the rear

Still hesitating as most of these updates are unsure, and will hardly affect my daily use (charging at home, small round trips,…) actually, an updated suspension is the one i would be waiting the most.

Maybe a higher reselling value, but at what cost.
I decided to buy now the MIC 77kWh battery Q4 model. If there will be a significant update to the Tesla Model Y (as for example air suspension with no retrofit), then I will trade-in the car for the new model. because, as we know, people are so eager to buy a Tesla, that selling it later at a decent price is an easy task I would say. :)

In Denmark we can see the model variant in the vehicle registration system. There is a website called nummerplade.net where you can look up any car by license plate.

Just got 5YCD info on two cars delivered yesterday, so unfortunately the latest shipment from Shanghai still has the old LG battery.

I’m awaiting mine own YLR next month (start dec) and know it will arrive at Zeebrugge in a couple of days.

From the VIN I know it it still a 2021 model, and I know that it is produced in October some time.

It is usually said that model year does not mean anything in Tesla terms, but what do you more experienced guys say here? Would it be smarter to wait and see if you can get hold of a November build version, which I guess will be 2022?

We have a rise in government taxes coming up, meaning that delivery in 2022 will higher the price with approximately 2000 euro, and the 77 kWh battery will cover our needs more than enough, so it mostly about being a bit irritated not to get the best :)

It is usually said that model year does not mean anything in Tesla terms, but what do you more experienced guys say here? Would it be smarter to wait and see if you can get hold of a November build version, which I guess will be 2022?
November built cars enroute to Germany were all Y5CD too, so not worth waiting for that. 2022 models with all the interesting changes we are now seeing in China will probably come to Europe in February.

the 77 kWh battery
Usable is not much higher than 75kWh, but the car is crazy efficient, so it gets you pretty far.

The Model 3 E5CD (LG 75kWh) has received a small update in charging power with SW 2021.40.6

Since this battery pack is also in the Model Y LR 2021 (Y5CD), it is very likely that this increased charging power is also available in the Model Y. It might even be an increase on the ne LG 5L pack and we havent even tested the Panasonic packs yet.

Ladekurve.jpg

Real world example of supercharging in the cold, after latest software update. (2021.44.25.2). Mic MY, northern europe, it has the LG 75kwh battery.

Car had stood outside, not plugged in, for 3 days in -20C. Battery at 90%, after 3 days about 88%.
Preheated for 30min from battery, then drove 200km to supercharger. Navigate to SC was on.
- preconditioning started right at the start of drive
- Front motor was using constant 2,5kw so that must be for heating the battery,
- consumption was kind of high, around 260wh/km, driving at 90km/h
- when pulling into v3 supercharger, battery was at 50C (!)
- charging started at 242kw, which lasted maybe a minute
- charging stop was 33min and it added 57kwh, bringing soc from 8..84%
- average charge rate 103kw

Quite good! Ambient temp was around -20C all the time. Next leg of drive was about 220 wh/km.

Model Y's delivered in Q1 2022 should get the Y5LD 82kw LG battery.
Can we expect better supercharing performance of will it just be an increase of range.

My 19" MYLR should give me 565km WLTP now. (it was 533 i think)
I have put an order for Model Y LR three days ago (EU version from MIC).
I have got confirmation (during phone call) from the salesman it will have the newer battery including the following updates:
- AMD ryzen infotainment
- 15 LiOn battery
- new audio system – better one
- laminated glasses front + back
- higher range – because of better battery

I am wating for e-mail confirmation for these and will let you know.
If it will have LG 82kWh battery pack, I am going to pull the trigger and commit Q1 delivery.
But maybe we will see more updates during the Tesla Financial results (webcast) planned on 26.1.2022 (Tesla Announces Date for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2021 Financial Results and Webcast | Tesla Investor Relations)
Let's wait a week and see any news from Musk ;-)

I have put an order for Model Y LR three days ago (EU version from MIC).
I have got confirmation (during phone call) from the salesman it will have the newer battery including the following updates:
- AMD ryzen infotainment
- 15 LiOn battery
- new audio system – better one
- laminated glasses front + back
- higher range – because of better battery

I am wating for e-mail confirmation for these and will let you know.
If it will have LG 82kWh battery pack, I am going to pull the trigger and commit Q1 delivery.
But maybe we will see more updates during the Tesla Financial results (webcast) planned on 26.1.2022 (Tesla Announces Date for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2021 Financial Results and Webcast | Tesla Investor Relations)
Let's wait a week and see any news from Musk ;-)
There are only Model Y LR/P with the new LG 5L M50 out for delivery. That pack has about 79kWh. Not 82.