Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was glad to see the heat pump shown in the manual. I'm really looking forward to seeing real world range numbers, including in the cold. With the heat pump, I'm guessing the MY will outdistance the M3 when using the cabin heater.
Looks like he averaged, on his last 30 miles in 50 degree weather, 335 wh/mile (208 wh/km).

So the PYD at that pace in those conditions with silversmith's driving, will get about 230 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
So the little bar that sticks out from the rear driver's side seat to the center section - that is so that when the rear driver's seat is "released" (to lower) it "catches" the center section and drags it down with it (i.e. the 60 in the 60/40 fold) - is that correct? Assumign so, effective, but certainly a "low rent" solution there.

So the little bar that sticks out from the rear driver's side seat to the center section - that is so that when the rear driver's seat is "released" (to lower) it "catches" the center section and drags it down with it (i.e. the 60 in the 60/40 fold) - is that correct? Assumign so, effective, but certainly a "low rent" solution there.

Yep. My Range Rover has the exact same bar for the same reason, so I mean, no THAT low rent it seems. I’ll take a pic later.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
First, thanks to OP @SilverSmith for the time and effort to post and answer the plethora of questions. People are obviously excited and answering the questions not in the manual will satiate some and excite others.

Your staggered performance wheels/tires combo are seemingly summer tires vs the all seasons on your 3, so please be careful if Utah temps are below 55 as they may not stick as well to the road (P Zero™ new - Car tyres | Pirelli) when doing your 0-60 tests ;-)

There will likely be a couple of months of excitement as firmware updates. I thought you mentioned the homelink unit is installed, so just an OTA update required to enable. Same for climate / heating controls as likely there are still some areas of hvac control being tested. This was the same for every new model introduction, including the 3. The good news is there might be a few additional hidden features that get enabled... eg. the m3 didn't have heated seats or split zone HVAC initially... enjoy your Y more each day and update

That I don’t know. They are questions that need to be answered and will be as more of these hit the road. I have a Performance Model 3 (P3D+) and it has a special chamfered lip on the hub and will not take 19’s per se unless specifically manufactured to account for the hubbed lip, or adding a spacer.

Ski
So the solution to non-staggered and/or higher profile tires, if you want one, is one of the many after market Performance Option compatible wheels available. My Model 3 Performance + I retrofitted with aftermarket compatible 18" wheels. There are also 19" available. If Model Y Performance + has identical brakes/stud spacing, the Model 3 wheels should fit but ONLY OEM 20" P wheels or aftermarket P option compatible. The sources are well documented here on the Model 3 Forum, including the one I chose.

• Informative
Here ya go..

Attachments

• F99AF112-43B7-45A0-9AA7-0451AA3A16F6.jpeg
    F99AF112-43B7-45A0-9AA7-0451AA3A16F6.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 69921C15-9EBF-43A8-A6C5-E3D4D68373A2.jpeg
    69921C15-9EBF-43A8-A6C5-E3D4D68373A2.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 137
Thank you for the detailed information. I know that you have handled a ton of requests. If you have time and do not mind, I would like to know the distance from the ground to the seat of the driver. That is, how far off the ground is the driver's butt? Max height would be great. Max and min better. Thanks again.

Thank you for the detailed information. I know that you have handled a ton of requests. If you have time and do not mind, I would like to know the distance from the ground to the seat of the driver. That is, how far off the ground is the driver's butt? Max height would be great. Max and min better. Thanks again.
I think the number you are looking for is in this video:

Reactions: jdr93
Without that little bar, the center seat would have nothing to support it when up. Most cars have a 60/40 and don’t allow the center to come down on its own. Other vehicles have a “ski” pass through hole on the “60” side.

...And I’ve seen a couple posts around here with people saying their Model 3’s don’t wear evenly. Hmmm. OK. I guess we’ll see how this goes. With the Model X, it’s been really good in this regard. Not just for us, for lots of others.
My model 3's have worn very evenly - had my car in recently for some routine things - had them check the tires and at 21000 they were the same all around. I don't drive the car that aggressively so I am sure that helps but the AWD does seem to be pretty good at keeping the wear front to back pretty close to the same - at least that has been my experience.

@SilverSmith please try sit or stand on the trunk cover to see if it bend or sink please. a CUV cannot hold weight is quite problematic.

Really?!? Why not ask @SilverSmith to walk on the hood to see if it dents, or kick the car a few times to see if the panels are dent resistant?