Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Heat stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same heating issue with my Y earlier this month. Vin 64xxx. 2020.48.10

Westmont Service Center had the vehicle for 8 days and ended up replacing the high pressure sensor.

Heats up rather quickly now, although our Chicago winter hasn’t really hit us yet.

I called the main support (roadside) number. When I got a person I was told that lack of defrost did constitute a safety problem and I “should take it right in” and not wait for my service appointment. However, it’s an hour drive to my nearest service center- so I’ll be calling them before heading in..,

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I called the main support (roadside) number. When I got a person I was told that lack of defrost did constitute a safety problem and I “should take it right in” and not wait for my service appointment. However, it’s an hour drive to my nearest service center- so I’ll be calling them before heading in..,
So yesterday, my poor little Y with only 600miles took a trip on a rollback. They did a remote scan and said at least one sensor was bad, so that, combined with no heat was 'an emergency'.
I did get the pick of any car I wanted at my local enterprise. Not sure how long that will be necessary though.

This morning I see an email from Tesla notifying me they have ordered parts:
1. Supermainfold Assembly
2. AC Compressor

Sounds like more that just a bad sensor to me....

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So yesterday, my poor little Y with only 600miles took a trip on a rollback. They did a remote scan and said at least one sensor was bad, so that, combined with no heat was 'an emergency'.
I did get the pick of any car I wanted at my local enterprise. Not sure how long that will be necessary though.

This morning I see an email from Tesla notifying me they have ordered parts:
1. Supermainfold Assembly
2. AC Compressor

Sounds like more that just a bad sensor to me....
Did Tesla arrange for and pay for the tow to the service center?

Did Tesla arrange for and pay for the tow to the service center?

Yes. Per their instructions (from the service people) I called roadside assistance who did the coordination. As soon as the vehicle was picked up they had arranged for the telsa-paid rental.

Looking at this from an engineering perspective, I have to wonder what the cost of a dedicated (resistance) heater for defrost would have been. No cabin heat is a royal pain, but no defrost is a safety issue...

I asked about the tow because my sister in Maine had no heat on her Y.
Roadside assistance insisted that was her responsibility to get the car to a service center.
It became academic because a software update the following day cured the heat problem, at least for now.

I just read up on this issue because it happened to my wife this morning. Did a hard reset and just happened to get the latest update and it came back....not sure if it's going to stick though...
I think it varies.
Mine stopped working 2 days before Thanksgiving and I got the update the Monday after Thanksgiving and it has been working ever since, but I've read where the update didn't work for some or stopped working soon after

47xxx vin, 3500 miles, latest software...2020.48.26. Heat works intermittently. When it works it’s really hot, but when it doesn’t there is zero heat. This is unsafe in a car driven in New England. Looks like this issue is affecting a broad range of vins. Service appointment scheduled for January 20th.

My heat was working fine until yesterday when I updated to 2020.48.26. After the update, I'm getting the same issues everyone else seems to be having (no heat, unable to adjust climate form app, climate unavailable due to system error). I made an appointment for Jan 20 (earliest one) but now I have to pray that I don't need a window defroster. Seems like a dangerous issue.

I thought my heat wasn't quite working the last couple of days - this morning, tried to turn the climate and defrost on (-4C here) and got a failure. Service appointment on the 31st. Sounds like it could be the sensor.

Interesting, just did the update to 2020.48.26 and the app appears to be working again. I will try it out in the morning and see if the heat is actually coming on. Will keep my appointment. It has also stopped complaining about an open window (it closes them on command and then opens then a small amount right afterwards)

Interesting, just did the update to 2020.48.26 and the app appears to be working again. I will try it out in the morning and see if the heat is actually coming on. Will keep my appointment. It has also stopped complaining about an open window (it closes them on command and then opens then a small amount right afterwards)

My windows do the same thing. Shut completely then open an inch. It’s annoying getting the notification that windows were left down when they weren’t. This is on the 2020.48.26 software.

So, had the same issue and just fixed. VIN 75K. Less than 300 miles. They ultimately replaced both pressure sensors. They had it for 5 days. Works fine again so far.

The invoice describes replacement of frunk clips and reinstallation of map software too, though I presume these were incidental.

More importantly, the service guy told my wife that 5 other “calls” came in right after ours for the same issue. Clearly systemic.

Imo, they need to fix this ASAP at the factory, preemptively replace the sensors on all recently shipped vehicles before delivery, and do a recall for the rest.

I have an S, this Y is for the wife. She’s less than thrilled at the moment. I’m really hoping this was all it was.