Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y INCLUDES Wireless Mobile Phone Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if they made this switch on the 3 already, but based on photos from Ryan Shaw this morning, it appears the Model Y includes the wireless mobile phone charger.

02RcwRWFFU7QNKMQcFaSkLtMQ

This photo clearly matches the item for sale on Tesla.com:

0BoNoGzUIKlsdpjSPJ58J0ufA

Was this already confirmed?

In addition, the video/photos seem to suggest there is NOT a cargo cover in the back (bummer).

Not sure if they made this switch on the 3 already, but based on photos from Ryan Shaw this morning,
it appears the Model Y includes the wireless mobile phone charger.
This photo clearly matches the item for sale on Tesla.com:
I hope the new wireless chargers will support the fast Qi charging speed, such as up to 15 Watts (9 volts/1.67 amps),
or at least 7.5 W (iPhones) or 10 W (Android phones)

I never been able getting more that 700 mA using the front or rear USB plugs,
while I can get 2 A using a 12 V adapter such as the following:
619T5bNTveL._SL1500_.jpg

That is great to see! I have a Taptes sitting here next to my desk that I may not need after all. I cancelled the hub as there was a rumour that the console USBs were updated to USB C from USB A. Wondering if that is indeed the case. Holding off on any other accessories until we learn more tomorrow.

Reactions: frankvb
That is great to see! I have a Taptes sitting here next to my desk that I may not need after all. I cancelled the hub as there was a rumour that the console USBs were updated to USB C from USB A. Wondering if that is indeed the case. Holding off on any other accessories until we learn more tomorrow.

Same here, bought the Taptes for model 3 and a few tiny USB-C to 'old' USB adapters. Guess I'll return the Taptes (bought it on Amazon). Also interested to know what type the USB sockets are.

Wireless phone charger but no garage opener. Next it will be wheels but no lug nuts.
The thing about Tesla is that the have an extremely amount of information about their customers cars.
Tesla has produced more than 1 million vehicles, and have gathered absurd amount of data from each of them.
One type of information they have gathered are how many customers have actually programmed their homelink unit.
My guess is that the percentage actually doing this is so small that they chose to discontinue this unit as a standard.
Same with AM radio.

Reactions: Electric Steve
The thing about Tesla is that the have an extremely amount of information about their customers cars.
Tesla has produced more than 1 million vehicles, and have gathered absurd amount of data from each of them.
One type of information they have gathered are how many customers have actually programmed their homelink unit.
My guess is that the percentage actually doing this is so small that they chose to discontinue this unit as a standard.
Same with AM radio.

Perhaps, but I find that hard to believe here in the US. Instead you might consider that they found that most people do use it and that when not installed by the factory they are willing to pay the $300 to have it installed because they see it as a necessity. Why do they include it on the Model X and S if no one uses it? Let me guess your answer..."Those buyers have larger homes with garages and the Model 3 and Y buyers do not." I think it was just cost cutting and probably a good move on Tesla's part. People are not saying they will not buy the car without it. They pay the $300 and go home happy.

I am trying to think if I know of any vehicles that sell for above $40k here in the US that do not have Homelink installed by the manufacturer as standard equipment. Hmmm...not off the top of my head I can't. Either way...it's not standard equipment anymore in the US. Life will go on. Some things we are not privy to.

I personally wonder why the Y has "Chrome delete" or black trim. As I drive around Los Angeles (arguably the density of model 3s is probably as high as any place on the planet) I do not see that the Model 3 owners have changed their trim to black. Yes, a few have but how many? 2%? Maybe 5%...either way not a majority. I am indifferent to black or chrome, whichever holds up the best works for me.

Reactions: dhanson865
Same with AM radio.

I have made this exact point in a few other threads relating to HomeLink. People really don't want to hear it.

Why do they include it on the Model X and S if no one uses it? Let me guess your answer..."Those buyers have larger homes with garages and the Model 3 and Y buyers do not."

Because they are higher margin vehicles with a different demographic? Maybe the data tells them that these folks have a higher rate of activation? Because the feature is just there as a result of the cars not being wholly refreshed in years? Because they did market research at some point for the demographic that will buy the 3/Y, asked the question "what's most important to you?", and exactly no one mentioned "garage door opener"? Because Elon just likes to screw with people and watch the chaos unfold on these forums and twitter?

As a group of people that obsess all day long about these cars, we are woefully uninformed about what the average consumer cares about. No one is going with the <insert other manufacturer here> over the Tesla because of a garage door opener. We all need to get out more.

Wireless phone charger on the other hand makes a lot more sense. Integration with your phone is probably very important to a large number of people. So they look at the cost and make a tradeoff. That's how manufacturing works.