Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you pull the wires to the main ECU you will disable the SIM card but also the whole car. You would need to steal it with a low loader as so you may as well do that in the first place and have a functioning vehicle.
Maybe maybe not but if you steal a car with an insurance approved tracker hidden somewhere in it, using a low loader , the tracker still works.

Surely you can see the difference between a tracker that thieves know exists, know where it is, and how to disable it (even if it might disable the car)
vs one that may or may not exist, and if it does is hidden somewhere and may take hours to find.

Even if you can't the insurance companies can and some think a Tesla should have one before they want to cover. Fortunately most don't so its easy enough to vote with your feet and go to one of them.

Has anyone got a quote from Quote Me Happy. I suspect no quotes because aviva don’t recognise model y either (only s,3 and x). Looks like it will be Churchill for me as it’s about £520 but still more than double for my X3 diesel.

How have you guys found insurance costs to be?

I’ve just run quotes for my incoming Model Y, insurance to start 8th September and I’m amazed how expensive it is.

Coming in around the £600 mark. For context, my previous cars were £80k-list Land Rover Discoveries bought new in 2019 and 2020. I paid £350, £330 and £290 for the last three years.

No claims or convictions and I’m 50.
Welcome to the true cost of EV ownership Expensive to Buy new and Repair so the insurance is more some folks will pay substantially more. I pay 120 quid fully comp so 7 tanks of fuel to cover the extra cost though I reckon it would be more than 600 for me.

Welcome to the true cost of EV ownership Expensive to Buy new and Repair so the insurance is more some folks will pay substantially more. I pay 120 quid fully comp so 7 tanks of fuel to cover the extra cost though I reckon it would be more than 600 for me.
Nope it’s not about being an EV.

Quoting today, the Model Y is now £748.

A Kia EV6 GT-Line S AWD is £344. Same class of car, 0-60 within 0.4 seconds, list price within £2k.

For something more premium. A Macan GTS (0-60 4.5s) with a list of 74k comes out at £455 for me.

However anybody tries to slice this, the Model Y is exceptionally expensive to insure right now.

I've been looking for about a week now daily on comparisons sites for insurance for my MYLR when it comes in a couple of weeks time. My M3P insurance is £312 per year and that's the highest it's been ever - the MYLR with exactly the same criteria all through is coming out at £815 as a minimum! LV, who I'm insured with already, quoted £923 this morning!! I cannot believe the difference for a less powerful car etc.
Keep trying...........................

well, 22 days to delivery today so I went on and "Hey Presto" - the quotes were all substantially lower with all the same details entered as before. I got everything I need for £421.75 - RESULT!
Yes, the MYLR insurance is a lot higher than the M3P but I'm OK with this now.

well, 22 days to delivery today so I went on and "Hey Presto" - the quotes were all substantially lower with all the same details entered as before. I got everything I need for £421.75 - RESULT!
Yes, the MYLR insurance is a lot higher than the M3P but I'm OK with this now.
Excellent news indeed and this matches up with the theory. Hoping I can get the same result with 22 or 23 days to go. Was beginning to wonder if the excessive level of MYLR insurance enquiries (end Q peak) was somehow driving up prices.

What is funny is that repairs etc are only part of the liability insurance companies have. I know someone that was knocked off their bike by a car and the total legal costs etc. were 800k. The difference in repair costs is probably pretty small, especially if you consider most claims are for fairly minor shunts. The insurance game is a game, they charge what they think they can get away with. And I suspect the fact that other running costs are lower encourages them to add a bit on too.

Tesla insurance biz model was based entirely around these type of assumptions.

This forum is probably large enough to get a dedicated insurer off the ground.

Mines insured paid today in the wife's name as well roughly 50/50 driving possibly slightly more her I am going to look into multicar when my van is due as 3 cars between us it could hopefully save a few £. For comparison our 3 year old volvo xc90 twin engine hybrid was £430 last year swapping to the Y is £719 so a significant increase however I never have to deal with volvo service again so £300 well spent 😂

There have been a few comments in this thread regarding a "tracker". Be careful. The feature of seeing the location of your car is not unique to Tesla (our Zoe has it too!) and does NOT meet the specifications for (almost?) all insurers. Do NOT say it has one or you may not be covered.

A really basic feature missing on the Tesla is that it only updates when the car is driven not when on trailer or similar. Proper tracker functionality is explained at link below.

Last edited:
My insurance for my outgoing Outlander PHEV was £365, with protected no claims and £200 voluntary excess. Model Y insurance is £746, with protected no claims and £500 voluntary. Thats with Flow (part of LV) and was comfortably the cheapest option from a menu that went well north of £1,200.

I get it - the Y is an expensive car to repair and that means its expensive to insure. That my company will own it and not me personally added an extra £80 to the cost...