Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Key Fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried linking a Model-S or -X fob to a Model-3/Y? Would be great if one fob could be used for both series vehicles.

I asked about that at my local store. The answer is that you can only link a fob to one vehicle. It would be great to have it open to a couple of vehicles, then it would pick up your settings regardless of which one you choose and wouldn't require 2 or more fobs.

Fob functionality: does the Model Y fob have the ability to open the trunk and frunk remotely like with the S and X? Is it simply a proximity sensor? If it's the latter, it's not worth it.

The Model Y fob works like the S/X fob does. I have one for my Y and it opens trunk and frunk and locks unlocks, summons, etc. I like having one since I carry a house key around too. Even if not, it is easier to use than the phone for trunk and frunk and stuff.

I bought the key fob, too. But, I have come to realize that I just don’t need, or use, it.

I carry my phone and wallet everywhere, so....no need for the keyfob for my pocket. My phone is my main key, plus I placed one of the keycards in my wallet (just in case my phone died).

if i recall correctly, there is no place to latch a key ring onto the keyfob, so it won’t help with bunching several keys together.

You can purchase Key Fob for the M3, so worst case is to buy one or two for the MY if not standard. Funny thing is some people used to praise about the absence of Key Fob for the M3 before the car was released. Be thankful that they have not removed Homelink from the MY.
They removed homelink, it's now $300 and requires an appointment to be installed. They are installing mine today.

As for the lack of a key, I very much like it.