Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh and in November I asked a local rep if he knew how many LR RWD reservations there were in the region. He told me yes because it was his job to call all of them the see if they'd upgrade to AWD and take delivery before end of year. He told me there were only SIX. That's probably the biggest reason there has been no hurry to start production.

That's what I was explaining to my wife - even if the SR is rated at 244, we won't actually get that in real life, as there are a lot of factors that go into that 244 EPA rating. For example, if we're driving in crappy weather, if I drive 75 mph w/ the A/C or heater blasting (v. 65), the car is fully loaded w/ the kids and suitcases, etc.

I also explained how batteries degrade over time (such as the battery on my father-in-law's 6-year old phone we just had to replace). I also explained how our friends/family who have Teslas (Model S and LR RWD Model 3) have confirmed they don't get the advertised range, and the owner of the S believes her car is already experiencing some battery degradation (although she supercharges often).

Even then, my wife keeps asking - say that 244 is actually only 150-175 (in a worse case scenario). That still gets you to and from work. On weekends (and w/ three kids), how often do we drive more than 150-175 miles? And in such a situation, why don't we just take her ICE vehicle?

To be clear, my wife's not pushing for the SR. She just wants us to really think through this purchase. Again, we both agree we'd prefer the LR to ease any range anxiety we may have, and we can comfortably afford the LR AWD. She also agrees we should get the car we truly want, and that we would have the least regret about/enjoy the most. At the same time, $8,000 is not chump change.

I do think everyone's needs are different, and there's not necessarily a right or wrong answer here (given our use scenario). Just wanted some additional input/data points to help us through this process.

@bayareaever, thank you for the input!

I live in Bay Area and used to drive a 2016 Model S60 that gets 210 miles fully charged... It's about 400-500lbs heavier than a Y. I never had any range anxiety or range issues. Drove it for about 20k miles per year. I drove it to West Covina at least 4-5 times a year with no range issues. And I got it back in July 2016 when there were not many superchargers available compare to now.

• Informative
Reactions: DanDi58 and JLOC
I live in Bay Area and used to drive a 2016 Model S60 that gets 210 miles fully charged... It's about 400-500lbs heavier than a Y. I never had any range anxiety or range issues. Drove it for about 20k miles per year. I drove it to West Covina at least 4-5 times a year with no range issues. And I got it back in July 2016 when there were not many superchargers available compare to now.

Thank you! It is great to hear this type of feedback as well!

Thank you! It is great to hear this type of feedback as well!

We got our LR AWD Y back in Dec 3... If I had a slight idea they were going to release the SR RWD Y with 7 seater, I would have waited and ordered that instead. Living in Cali, I hardly have the need for AWD and base on my past experience with my S60 (210 miles) and S75 (240 miles)... 244 miles is not a big issue for me.

• Informative
Reactions: JLOC
Saturday I received a text from Tesla saying:
"Tesla Update - Your Model Y order is on hold but can potentially be delivered this March!
There is no better time to take home your Model Y. With Autopilot and over-the-air software updates, your Model Y will continue to add new features and get even better over time.

Reply MARCH if you are interested in taking delivery of your Model Y and a Tesla Advisor will reach out to discuss next steps."
That text message sounds like it came from a misinformed or rogue sales advisor. If there was any truth to it, this thread would be overwhelmed with "me too" responses, mine included. I have not received any such communication from Tesla.

We got our LR AWD Y back in Dec 3... If I had a slight idea they were going to release the SR RWD Y with 7 seater, I would have waited and ordered that instead. Living in Cali, I hardly have the need for AWD and base on my past experience with my S60 (210 miles) and S75 (240 miles)... 244 miles is not a big issue for me.

@miggz410, this is really useful information, as your experience directly addresses two of our concerns - range anxiety and road trips. Thank you so much for sharing!

I am also waiting to see what the 7-seater actually looks like in real life. While we can have the three kids share that second row, I like the idea of having a third row for those times when one of the kids wants to get away from his/her siblings (or if we ever have to transport anyone in addition to our kids). However, like my wife's SUV, I am going to assume that third row is going to be very uncomfortable for everyone but young kids, and I'm going to assume the third row will basically eliminate trunk space.

That text message sounds like it came from a misinformed or rogue sales advisor. If there was any truth to it, this thread would be overwhelmed with "me too" responses, mine included. I have not received any such communication from Tesla.
I posted the text because I was surprised that no one else had already received and posted the same information. I'm not in a huge hurry to get my Y (already have a 3) so I didn't bother replying at the time. Now that I see that I'm the only one so far reporting receiving the text, as a service to this thread :) I replied to the text yesterday, saying that I was definitely interested in talking to an advisor. So far, no response.

I may try to call the number later today, just to see if anyone answers or if I get a recording of some kind.

Reactions: seangoggin
OK, here is a bit of closure on the text I received. I got a reply text back this morning saying:

"Taking a closer look at your order, it looks like your configuration is the Long Range Rear Wheel Dive, we currently are still working on getting that into production so it will most likely take longer than March, however if you wanted to ensure March delivery we would have the standard range rear wheel drive available at an even lower cost, starting at $41,990, with a great range of 244 miles. Would you like to update your configuration or hold off for the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive?"

So they are just trying to sell the standard range RWD. Nothing to see here, move along.

OK, here is a bit of closure on the text I received. I got a reply text back this morning saying:

"Taking a closer look at your order, it looks like your configuration is the Long Range Rear Wheel Dive, we currently are still working on getting that into production so it will most likely take longer than March, however if you wanted to ensure March delivery we would have the standard range rear wheel drive available at an even lower cost, starting at $41,990, with a great range of 244 miles. Would you like to update your configuration or hold off for the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive?"

So they are just trying to sell the standard range RWD. Nothing to see here, move along.

And to finish off this conversation with myself, I replied to the above text, saying that I prefer to hold off for the LR RWD and asked if they had any idea when it would be available.

Response:
"We are still waiting for more specific info on that but we will definitely let you know once we have a better idea, as well as any other updates."

I just went back and checked. I put down my $2500 two days after reveal for a LR RWD. That was March 17, 2019. I'm coming up on two years and still no firm indicator as to when they'll start production. My only comfort is that with the original timeline given at reveal was that production wouldn't start until summer 2020, so I never expected to have mine until spring 21. It's only hard now because deliveries started six months early. Now of course I see those beautiful cars all over the place and all I can do is drool. The good news is that FSD on my reservation is only $5k. If I made a change now it would cost twice that. So in reality, my $2500 is saving me $7500. That being said, it's tough being a spectator seeing all of those people post about how they ordered three weeks ago and already have their cars. Over here it's 22 months and counting.
You should get the FSD for 5k! If you had waited until now to say you wanted FSD then the cost should be 10K. But you were ready to buy when the price was 5K and their car was not ready and you even put up 5K to secure that.

There is nothing "safe" when it comes to Tesla.

They think SR model will sell and compete with VW and Ford, forgetting they are still cheaper for 8-11k after rabates.
44k is a lot for just city car.

LR RWD will be out VERY soon, after they release LR AWD is not selling as expected and SR RWD is not enough.

Only other option i can see LR AWD will come down in price, maybe for 3-4k

It’s very likely that for the 2021 tax year Tesla will get the same tax credits as any other manufacturer. Biden has already stated its part of his green plan and their is bipartisan support in Congress. The real question is will Tesla raise prices when the tax credit is reinstated.

It’s very likely that for the 2021 tax year Tesla will get the same tax credits as any other manufacturer. Biden has already stated its part of his green plan and their is bipartisan support in Congress. The real question is will Tesla raise prices when the tax credit is reinstated.

If that happen do you think it will include vehicles purchased from January 1 2021 ?

Elon has been playing the long game with FSD. I predict that FSD will increase to $15k when the FTC comes back.

I hold a LR RWD reservation with FSD at $6,000 in CA Bay Area. I was contacted by Tesla this week to see if I wanted to change my reservation, I asked what could be done to compensate for the $4,000 increase in price in FSD since my reservation, with the ideal scenario to me being to move my reservation to the SR RWD with FSD @ $6,000. They came back today and said I could change to SR RWD at the new FSD pricing ($10,000) and they would give me $350 merchandise credit, which of course I didn't take. Long story short, I am stuck with a useless reservation for a car that in my opinion will never get produced.

I’m a hold out too, had my $2500 down for over a year. After Tesla’s MY Crash Rating announcement today I think we still have hope! Read it carefully:

Model Y Achieves 5-Star Overall Safety Rating from NHTSA

“We expect similar results for all Model Y variants, including our Performance AWD and single motor, rear-wheel drive variants in the future.”

Variants (plural) Hopefully they mean Standard Range and Long Range RWD and not 5/7-seater. But I think by saying LR AWD, Performance AWD, and RWD Variants, they mean SR & LR.

Fingers crossed!

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Elon has been playing the long game with FSD. I predict that FSD will increase to $15k when the FTC comes back.

My curiosity - who is the target market at $15K for FSD? Is the assumption that none of the competing services will ever come close to FSD? I find that hard to believe. And I'm also curious how much of a hit FSD purchases took when it jumped to $10K. I personally wasn't in it for $5K, and certainly not in it for $10K, given that I still have to intervene during in situations that I feel AP should not freak out with.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
T
My curiosity - who is the target market at $15K for FSD? Is the assumption that none of the competing services will ever come close to FSD? I find that hard to believe. And I'm also curious how much of a hit FSD purchases took when it jumped to $10K. I personally wasn't in it for $5K, and certainly not in it for $10K, given that I still have to intervene during in situations that I feel AP should not freak out with.

If the $7500 FTC returns, a $5000 increase would still be a net decrease. There’s no other practical way to increase prices that much, so as to avoid sharply depreciating used inventory, etc.

If driving interventions get to near zero, which has always been the goal, people will pay $15k and definitely $10k (assuming increase is pre-announced as before).

With the subscription plan, many customers will sign up, but don’t expect it to be cheap. I think it will be annual vs monthly so people can’t just use it ‘whenever’ for a few hundred bucks, and because that would undercut those who pay full price.