Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR RWD is dead, configuration update required by 12/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm in the same boat. My LR RWD reservation is for $47800 and FSD for $5000 on top of that. I don't think there's any way to get that price honored for a Model Y LW AWD is there?
I feel cheated. That is why I am willing to fight and take them to arbitration. Nothing comes easy. Let all of us fight, there is nothing extra you could loose. Tesla pays for arbitration costs as per agreement.

Let all of us fight, there is nothing extra you could loose.
That isn't totally true. Tesla could blacklist you so that you can never buy a vehicle from them in the future; which may not matter to some/all of the impacted people. (In the past they have done this to at least one person that filed an arbitration claim.) And I wouldn't blame them for doing that as, in my opinion, you would be making a baseless claim and are just wasting their money/time. (They did have plans to make the LR RWD Model Y, but they cancelled/discontinued those plans; which is covered in the order agreement.) Should they have let you switch to an AWD version from the same "price book"? Yes, but they have no obligation to do so.

On the other hand I fully support people filing arbitration claims when Tesla is breaking the order agreement by cancelling orders that aren't delivered by the end of the year, when there are no terms in their order agreement that allow Tesla to do that.

That isn't totally true. Tesla could blacklist you so that you can never buy a vehicle from them in the future; which may not matter to some/all of the impacted people. (In the past they have done this to at least one person that filed an arbitration claim.) And I wouldn't blame them for doing that as, in my opinion, you would be making a baseless claim and are just wasting their money/time. (They did have plans to make the LR RWD Model Y, but they cancelled/discontinued those plans; which is covered in the order agreement.) Should they have let you switch to an AWD version from the same "price book"? Yes, but they have no obligation to do so.

On the other hand I fully support people filing arbitration claims when Tesla is breaking the order agreement by cancelling orders that aren't delivered by the end of the year, when there are no terms in their order agreement that allow Tesla to do that.
I will be black listing them. There is no point in doing business with some one who do not treat their customers right.

Did you read their statement asking us to convert to AWD? There is not even an apology for keeping us waiting for 2.5 years for something they could not deliver. They think that we should be thankful for giving opportunity to switch to AWD. Sure far not even single person I interacted felt bad about how we were treated. That shows company's culture. I better claim what I supposed to and stay away.

All good companies respect their customers because they are not always obligated to do so.

There is not even an apology for keeping us waiting for 2.5 years for something they could decided not deliver.
They definitely could have delivered it, but decided it wasn't in their best interests. End story: the customer loses. And the reports of Tesla telling RWD Y reservation holders to pound sand and pay full price for FSD....not surprising at all.

Reactions: lemketron
I called the 888 number last week, received the "not honoring previous pricing" response and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was promised a call back before the end of that day from one yet never got the call back.

Today I responded to the Order Support email and copied [email protected] explaining that I did want to purchase a Y, the reasons they should honor the AWD/P/FSD pricing as of the day I ordered it, etc. I did get a response back from Order Support within about 2 hours stating that If I wanted to change the order to AWD/P, I would be subject to today's pricing and there was nothing they could do about that or the wait for one to become available.

I do want a Y. I also want to document that 1) I'd like to purchase a Model Y 2) I'm not interested in "changing" my order to a LR AWD and being subject to today's pricing 3) I don't agree with Tesla's handling of the LR RWD order holders 4) Put them on notice that I'm willing to pursue Tesla in arbitration over the issue.

If you have a LR RWD order and don't plan on converting it based on today's pricing, I think the best thing to do is let the deadline come and pass and have them refund your deposit. Prior to then, I'd recommend giving them some written notice that you still want to purchase a Model Y and don't feel that you should be subject to today's pricing.

• Love
I also sent an email to Joey who wrote the Teslarati article about Tesla not honoring the FSD pricing to also point out the deposit amount, putting LR RWD reservation conversions at the back of the que, lack of communication over the past 2.5 years, and decision made in February to cancel the variant yet waiting until December to cancel the orders.

I also made the point that this is likely to have a spillover effect on how Tesla plans to handle the 1M+ Cybertruck reservations. If you had a single or dual motor reservation, good luck seeing that vehicle produced at advertised price much less getting the $7K FSD you think you locked in. I suspect they will build the quad motor and if demand exceeds production capacity, might not ever even build the tri motor. This would allow them to scrap plans for the single and dual motor CTs and force those reservation holders to "convert" to the quad configuration and new base/FSD pricing. Tri motor reservation holders might sit in limbo (as the MY LR RWD order holders have been in) waiting to hear if their variant will ever be built.

In the end, it is going to take public attention and outrage on the matter if there is any chance Tesla is going to right their wrong for MY LR RWD order holders....with $1M+ people putting down some money, concern about Tesla not following through with the product they are eagerly anticipating is going to create more attention than the mistreatment of a small group of MY LR RWD order holders.

• Love
I had a 2019 MY LR RWD as well, but over two years and with the comms earlier this year regarding no plans to build the RWD I wasn't willing to wait years longer and hope. I ended up re-ordering with AWD, 7-seat, and hitch (and dropping FSD) at the current pricing (not the 2019 pricing). I also have a 2018 M3 LR RWD which I was happy with, so would have preferred RWD.

I was hoping that those that held on would eventually get rewarded for their patience with a RWD ... but that's all it ever was, a hope and a dream.

Regarding the interpretation of the agreement, if Tesla built one RWD and then stopped building the RWD would people stop complaining? Of course not. The intention of the contract is that Tesla will refund if they can't build and deliver the configuration, which is what they are doing. The contract also makes it clear it is for the specific options and configuration and doesn't say anything about honoring current pricing on changes, it even says otherwise.

This for sure is not good customer service ... and Tesla lost money from me by not honoring FSD pricing. (hitch+7-seater was only +$4k, less than FSD).

But waiting 2.5 years and then "demanding" through arbitration for Tesla to take config changes from 2019 price books doesn't seem reasonable either. I would say that Tesla should put that language in the agreement, but that language is already there.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I also sent an email to Joey who wrote the Teslarati article about Tesla not honoring the FSD pricing to also point out the deposit amount, putting LR RWD reservation conversions at the back of the que, lack of communication over the past 2.5 years, and decision made in February to cancel the variant yet waiting until December to cancel the orders.

I also made the point that this is likely to have a spillover effect on how Tesla plans to handle the 1M+ Cybertruck reservations. If you had a single or dual motor reservation, good luck seeing that vehicle produced at advertised price much less getting the $7K FSD you think you locked in. I suspect they will build the quad motor and if demand exceeds production capacity, might not ever even build the tri motor. This would allow them to scrap plans for the single and dual motor CTs and force those reservation holders to "convert" to the quad configuration and new base/FSD pricing. Tri motor reservation holders might sit in limbo (as the MY LR RWD order holders have been in) waiting to hear if their variant will ever be built.

In the end, it is going to take public attention and outrage on the matter if there is any chance Tesla is going to right their wrong for MY LR RWD order holders....with $1M+ people putting down some money, concern about Tesla not following through with the product they are eagerly anticipating is going to create more attention than the mistreatment of a small group of MY LR RWD order holders.

I had a 2019 MY LR RWD as well, but over two years and with the comms earlier this year regarding no plans to build the RWD I wasn't willing to wait years longer and hope. I ended up re-ordering with AWD, 7-seat, and hitch (and dropping FSD) at the current pricing (not the 2019 pricing). I also have a 2018 M3 LR RWD which I was happy with, so would have preferred RWD.

I was hoping that those that held on would eventually get rewarded for their patience with a RWD ... but that's all it ever was, a hope and a dream.

Regarding the interpretation of the agreement, if Tesla built one RWD and then stopped building the RWD would people stop complaining? Of course not. The intention of the contract is that Tesla will refund if they can't build and deliver the configuration, which is what they are doing. The contract also makes it clear it is for the specific options and configuration and doesn't say anything about honoring current pricing on changes, it even says otherwise.

This for sure is not good customer service ... and Tesla lost money from me by not honoring FSD pricing. (hitch+7-seater was only +$4k, less than FSD).

But waiting 2.5 years and then "demanding" through arbitration for Tesla to take config changes from 2019 price books doesn't seem reasonable either. I would say that Tesla should put that language in the agreement, but that language is already there.
Complaint is not about contract terms. TeslaD was reasonable sure about not interested in building LR RWD in Feb 2021 as Elon Musk tweeted. It took them 9 months to get back to their customers who were waiting for more than 2 years. It is about how much do they care about their customers.

Any company 1/10 size of Tesla would have treated their customers better in this situation.

I'm working to create a timeline of noteworthy events since the Model Y reveal and would welcome any help you can offer. I think this can be a valuable resource for any LR RWD order holders in their arbitration dispute. The biggest gap I'd like to fill is any price adjustments for the different variants and when they occurred. I've been able to fill in most (if not all of it) for 2021 using posts on Teslarati but really hoping there is a graph or table online someone can provide that has the historic price history....please post if you know where one is.

Here is a link to the timeline I've create in Google Sheets. Let me know if there are any relevant events that I should add and provide a reference. Thanks!

I'm working to create a timeline of noteworthy events since the Model Y reveal and would welcome any help you can offer. I think this can be a valuable resource for any LR RWD order holders in their arbitration dispute. The biggest gap I'd like to fill is any price adjustments for the different variants and when they occurred. I've been able to fill in most (if not all of it) for 2021 using posts on Teslarati but really hoping there is a graph or table online someone can provide that has the historic price history....please post if you know where one is.

Here is a link to the timeline I've create in Google Sheets. Let me know if there are any relevant events that I should add and provide a reference. Thanks!
Sure, let me review tomorrow add the details that I can find. Thank you for sharing

Yes, they did. I attached the screenshot in the original post. Send them to the sales advisor. I reached out to Teslarati to cover the news so that others can benefit at a broader scale.
Tesla has a habit of making exceptions in order to fit a few additional deliveries into a quarter-end delivery goals. Is it possible that they made an exception for Deadpoolvan since he is located in California and maybe they had additional supply of the exact configuration he wanted in AWD?