Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y made loud chattering/grinding sound at slow speed in Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 weeks old Model Y while in Autopilot and traveling slowly in stop/go traffic, suddenly made a loud chattering/grinding sound (suspect the brakes or drivetrain), and the car stopped on its own, even though there was plenty of space between my car and the car in front. I turned off autopilot and the noise went away, and I was able to drive normally.
This has happened to me only this one time. Similar behavior (in Autopilot) has been reported on Models X and S on the tesla.com forums so it does not seem unique to the Y. Happened to anybody else?
I contacted local Tesla service, and they recommended to file a bug report if/when it happens again.

take a look at the sticky in the forums about missing bolts/tie rod issues - doubt it is that problem but that is the only noise issue ive read about similar to yours...
Thanks but this is specific to braking and autopilot. Others have said the same. I think it must be some software glitch related to anti-lock braking when in autopilot based on other threads I've read. Hopefully it won't happen again, or I'll be reluctant to use autopilot.