Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - MATRIX LED HEADLIGHTS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there no indication on when Tesla will be able to start activating the Matrix functionality in their headlamps.

I mean, it's a nice gimmick that it can write TESLA on a wall, but that can not be the only reason to add them.

I read somewhere that it was because matrix headlamps were not certified in the US, but why would they not activate the function in parts of the world where matrix headlamps are actually already legal.

In the country i live in, there are "lots" of car brands and makes that has Matrix headlamps, and they are already activated and working fine.

Often they are said to give you "High beam in your own lane, but not blind incoming traffic"

If this is because they have not made the programming to control and enable them, do we know if they are actually working on this, at all ? From what i read, they started installing these headlamps "years ago" so it's not like they did not have the time to "perfect" this feature, and "Not certified in the US" is not really a reason not to do the software, and turn the feature on, in countries where it is allowed.

My guess is that when it will be available, it will be a paid upgrade like performance boost and whatnot.

The lamps are certified and the NHTSA has approved its use. The feature is coming..

Reactions: drdumont
Is there a picture showing the difference and how to tell? Picking up the Y tomorrow and would like to know. Thanks.
side-by-side-matrix-lights-model-y-800x486.jpg

Regular LED lights on left, matrix LED lights on right.

The lamps are certified and the NHTSA has approved its use. The feature is coming..
I know Tesla does not tell a lot about upcoming features, but i assume that since you claim "The feature is coming" must mean, that they have said something about this.

If this is the case, did they actually give any hit of any kind of timeframe (This year, This decade, soon, etc.)

I know Tesla does not tell a lot about upcoming features, but i assume that since you claim "The feature is coming" must mean, that they have said something about this.

If this is the case, did they actually give any hit of any kind of timeframe (This year, This decade, soon, etc.)

They did not designed the Matrix so that they could limit it's features to spelling Tesla on a wall. Is that what you think they did?

They did not designed the Matrix so that they could limit it's features to spelling Tesla on a wall. Is that what you think they did?
Absolutely not, but the fact is, right now, this seems to be the only function that actually uses the ability to turn on individual LED's.

If i understand it correctly, it has been 1-2 years since they started putting Matrix headlamps on these cars, i would have expected them to be able to do the software to actually make the Matrix headlamps work with their (Probably) main intended function, in that timeframe.

I am not complaining as such, i just wanted to know if Tesla had actually ever publicly stated that they are indeed working on this function, and maybe even given a hint about when they would expect it to be released....Other than their usual "Soon" :D

It also seems wasteful for Tesla, if they mount more expensive headlamps in their cars, without them being able to advertise the function they are intended for. Being able to advertise the car as having (functioning) Matrix headlamps, would be a win for the sales team, especially now where "all/most" other cars in the price bracket the Tesla is in, has this function.