Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model Y Alpharex Nova Series LED Projector Headlights exclusively available @ T Sportline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most (if not all) Chinese EVs have very center focused high beam that is not beneficial for actual driving at night. Tesla OEM high beam is very good since it provides very wide side to side coverage as well as bright center.
This aftermarket has very bright center, but the rest of the light distribution is very spotty and looks like glare than evenly distributed uniform light coverage by OEM Tesla headlight output.
This garage test is not ideal since we don't drive in the garage where light out put is measured at the headlight or 3 feet in front of it.
You need to find dark country road with no street light and test both like Bjørn does with his headlight test on his YouTube channel.
Noticed the same thing in the images, Tesla lights have better overall coverage. Unless you plan to drive only straight, than center focused beam won't be a problem =P

The difference is this one keeps the factory projector and matrix capability (again, please correct me if I am wrong again).
So, basically, you pay almost $2k for added RGB led bar inside with blacked out bazel.
I don't think it keeps the factory projector.
And website has a disclaimer that it cannot have matrix capability once Tesla deployed the update.

I guess the target market for this one are people that want the claimed brighter output albeit the manual adjustment/controls and the Teslux customers would be after the RGB customization which looks great in car shows. I, for one, would like the DRL to be set to Amber.

• Informative
Reactions: nate704
Hey Gang - we appreciate all the feedback, but allow us to clarify some actual facts (disregard the speculating (inaccurate) statements on this thread from others)

1 - the Alpharex headlights are over 33% brighter than factory Tesla lights, as measured in the low beam hot spot. This is massively better than stock, not just a little bit, not something you need a meter to confirm - the fact is night time driving experience, visibility distance, and vision safety are dramatically improved over stock headlights.

2 - the beam pattern is greatly improved overstock. This should not a surprise, since the Alpharex lights are quad projector LEDs vs factory 'reflector' (inferior, non-projector) housings. Starting with the cutoff line, which is razor sharp on the Alpharex (very safe for oncoming traffic) versus the factory Tesla with plenty of wash over (blinding oncoming traffic). The low beam hot spot is broader coverage and properly focused for the driver line of site, versus factory. The high beam spot nets a distance vision far beyond the factory beams.

3 - the beam pattern photos were not taken with fixed camera aperture settings on purpose, so you can see the hot spots; this is typical for beam pattern projection photos. We will take some fixed apeture shots next time we do an install too! And we'll do some night driving comparo videos. PM us if you're around Atlanta and want in on this test for a discounted set!

4 - Comparing the Alpharex lights to retrofit lights is like comparing a production vehicle to a kit car. We have nothing against retrofits, it is some super cool craftsman stuff and in fact our CEO & Chief Engineer coincidentally was previously the CEO of the largest headlight retrofit headlight projector brand (Morimoto & The Retrofit Source - he knows lighting!), but these are apples vs oranges. Retrofits require baking factory lights in an oven, prying them open, gutting the factory housings, bolting-in or jb-welding in retrofit aftermarket projectors / halos / RGB / etc into factory housing, then re-bonding (and hoping it seals!) the headlight housing back together with urethane, then custom wiring in the ballasts or whatever light source was added. Retrofitting is great when it's the only option or when you're looking to build something totally custom. If you want to run halos or RGB, you can add that to the Alpharex lights. In fact, I am sure Teslux would be happy to open the Alpharex lights and install halos or RGB for you!

5 - The 12v connection has been unnecessarily made into a concern. The Alpharex headlights are 100% OFF, ZERO 12v battery draw when the lights are off. Not sure why people are concerned here, there is nothing to be concerned about.

6 - The Alpharex headlights are adjustable using the mount adjuster. Works perfect, there is no need to re-adjust down the road. When you install the lights, simply shine them on the wall and adjust them to match the beam cutoff height marked first with the factory lights....takes 30 seconds max, then you're done. Easy.

7 - besides the improved lighting performance, the Alpharex lights look amazing - modern LED quad projector (newer looking than old look 'reflector' design in factory Tesla), ditches the old man chrome trim in the factory Tesla lights, adds sequential turn signal, startup sequence.... There is a lot of gain in the looks and appearance end!

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: WyoDude
Hey Gang - we appreciate all the feedback, but allow us to clarify some actual facts (disregard the speculating (inaccurate) statements on this thread from others)

1 - the Alpharex headlights are over 33% brighter than factory Tesla lights, as measured in the low beam hot spot. This is massively better than stock, not just a little bit, not something you need a meter to confirm - the fact is night time driving experience, visibility distance, and vision safety are dramatically improved over stock headlights.

2 - the beam pattern is greatly improved overstock. This should not a surprise, since the Alpharex lights are quad projector LEDs vs factory 'reflector' (inferior, non-projector) housings. Starting with the cutoff line, which is razor sharp on the Alpharex (very safe for oncoming traffic) versus the factory Tesla with plenty of wash over (blinding oncoming traffic). The low beam hot spot is broader coverage and properly focused for the driver line of site, versus factory. The high beam spot nets a distance vision far beyond the factory beams.

3 - the beam pattern photos were not taken with fixed camera aperture settings on purpose, so you can see the hot spots; this is typical for beam pattern projection photos. We will take some fixed apeture shots next time we do an install too! And we'll do some night driving comparo videos. PM us if you're around Atlanta and want in on this test for a discounted set!

4 - Comparing the Alpharex lights to retrofit lights is like comparing a production vehicle to a kit car. We have nothing against retrofits, it is some super cool craftsman stuff and in fact our CEO & Chief Engineer coincidentally was previously the CEO of the largest headlight retrofit headlight projector brand (Morimoto & The Retrofit Source - he knows lighting!), but these are apples vs oranges. Retrofits require baking factory lights in an oven, prying them open, gutting the factory housings, bolting-in or jb-welding in retrofit aftermarket projectors / halos / RGB / etc into factory housing, then re-bonding (and hoping it seals!) the headlight housing back together with urethane, then custom wiring in the ballasts or whatever light source was added. Retrofitting is great when it's the only option or when you're looking to build something totally custom. If you want to run halos or RGB, you can add that to the Alpharex lights. In fact, I am sure Teslux would be happy to open the Alpharex lights and install halos or RGB for you!

5 - The 12v connection has been unnecessarily made into a concern. The Alpharex headlights are 100% OFF, ZERO 12v battery draw when the lights are off. Not sure why people are concerned here, there is nothing to be concerned about.

6 - The Alpharex headlights are adjustable using the mount adjuster. Works perfect, there is no need to re-adjust down the road. When you install the lights, simply shine them on the wall and adjust them to match the beam cutoff height marked first with the factory lights....takes 30 seconds max, then you're done. Easy.

7 - besides the improved lighting performance, the Alpharex lights look amazing - modern LED quad projector (newer looking than old look 'reflector' design in factory Tesla), ditches the old man chrome trim in the factory Tesla lights, adds sequential turn signal, startup sequence.... There is a lot of gain in the looks and appearance end!

Thanks everyone!
So as has been asked, is there a Night time driving example comparison? Don’t really care how bright a garage door is personally. Haven’t seen a video and don’t do Facebook.

Tesla's OEM headlights are unique which makes it its signature appearance. This Alpharex headlight looks like it's trying hard to copy Acura's jewel headlights and sorry but that's not very Tesla-ish in my humble opinion.

Also, the Matrix headlight has a projector as well so maybe you're just singling out the non-Matrix Tesla headlights.

I'm still waiting for your on-the-road, night time driving comparison video!

Tesla's OEM headlights are unique which makes it its signature appearance. This Alpharex headlight looks like it's trying hard to copy Acura's jewel headlights and sorry but that's not very Tesla-ish in my humble opinion.

Also, the Matrix headlight has a projector as well so maybe you're just singling out the non-Matrix Tesla headlights.

I'm still waiting for your on-the-road, night time driving comparison video!
It does look like the Acura, but I think it still looks cool. What isn't cool is dropping over $1600 on headlights that the sellers can't be bothered to showcase in a comparison video.

Reactions: nate704
It does look like the Acura, but I think it still looks cool. What isn't cool is dropping over $1600 on headlights that the sellers can't be bothered to showcase in a comparison video.
It’s because they’re garbage, overpriced lights when you compare them to any OEM LED, HID or even H9 halogen setup.
They appeal to the folks who buy drop in LED and HID lights because they think they’re cool.
When you start asking for real side-by-side comparisons that’s when you’re met with silence.

I checked out the Teslux Innovations headlight, but I don't think it is not that different than Tsportline product.
It has blacked out bezel with added RGB color changing strips at the bottom, and also I think you still need to connect it to the 12V constant (please correct me if I am wrong).
The difference is this one keeps the factory projector and matrix capability (again, please correct me if I am wrong again).
So, basically, you pay almost $2k for added RGB led bar inside with blacked out bazel.
We build fully animated RGBW boards that integrate with all of the OEM features along with unlimited show mode customization. 6+ different animations for turn signals and parking (Startup / Shutdown). All controlled right from your phone or device while still keeping the matrix system intact.

The areas we upgrade are the turn signal, DRL reflector, projector, top DRL bar and diffused eye brow. Not just the bottom. Also our Headlights, fog lights, underglow and soon to be released tail lights and interior all work off the same system and sync across the board. We do have a 12v constant lead but this is due to the constant updates Tesla pushes and to prevent future updates to affect the design and operation. We have learned over the years of overcoming these updates that its better to integrate without relying on the headlights to power our system 👍

If these aren't brighter than OEM (which is already plenty bright) the drawbacks of manual adjustability, needing constant 12v power and probably insurance issues might not make it worth the high price. Also for matrix users, once Tesla pushes the update for it then more things to miss out on.

IMO if you're going aftermarket headlights, might as well spend extra and splurge on Teslux Innovations.

Thanks everyone!
Just to clarify… We are not a retrofitting shop and after owning a “Retrofitting” shop for 13+ years I am very familiar with what you are referring to….

We may use OEM housings but this is because when we created Teslux we wanted to bring an OEM + solution to a market that was not even created yet. When our Ludicrous series was launched years ago we were the first to bring animated white and amber features that were integrated into the LINbus network to a futuristic car that was missing the same kind of animations that are available in most high end vehicles. We knew how important the updates are to these cars and how our customers would want to have those updates take place while still having the updated features. Once the market demanded RGBW features we started developing our Plaid series product line. Which has now grown to cover Headlights, fog lights, underglow and soon to be tails and interior all off the same network and all controlled / customized right from the customers device.

The Alpharex headlights are a great option to consider and I would like to bring in a set to start the development process for another option for our Plaid series. It would be great to see what can be done 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: greatauror28
Just launched! Model Y Alpharex Nova Series LED Projector Headlights exclusively available from T Sportline.

AlphaRex NOVA-Series LED Projector Headlights for Tesla Model 3 / Y

Alpharex-headlights-tesla-model3y-3_530x@2x.progressive.jpg

is the 6x led brighter?