Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - MATRIX LED HEADLIGHTS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hookah66

Supporting Member
Jan 20, 2023
Florida
I just accepted my Model Y LR 7 seat option, production date of Jan'23 Fremont this past Tuesday, and after reading various blogs I think I got the matrix LED headlights, the bezel of headlight assembly is black and it got a projector lens on the outer edge and then on next to that I got what appears to be vertical dividers. What I don't like is that the light projected on the wall is not uniform but it looks like it is divided in segments. The light output (lumens) is much more intense than my Mach-e that only got LED headlight. The light cut off is straight and well defined. I am trying to get a good shot of the headlight assembly without the reflections.

Reactions: WyoDude
I just accepted my Model Y LR 7 seat option, production date of Jan'23 Fremont this past Tuesday, and after reading various blogs I think I got the matrix LED headlights, the bezel of headlight assembly is black and it got a projector lens on the outer edge and then on next to that I got what appears to be vertical dividers. What I don't like is that the light projected on the wall is not uniform but it looks like it is divided in segments. The light output (lumens) is much more intense than my Mach-e that only got LED headlight. The light cut off is straight and well defined. I am trying to get a good shot of the headlight assembly without the reflections.
Yep, the gaps are normal according to Tesla. There's been a few threads about it before with people bringing it up to Tesla and their response was that it was normal and due to the design. From what I've heard it's only on low beams though, turn on your high beams and there are no gaps.

Don't dream about it yet. There is no reasons Tesla upgrades it while lower the price. Elon is counting pennies and dimes.
You do realize there’s a lot more Tesla has “lost” by the simple fact all Teslas have FSD hardware, while the not all owners have bought FSD (or even enhanced).

So, it’s just as likely for them to include HW4 without necessarily jacking up the price. But simply not anytime soon. My guess would be part of model year 2024.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
I have a Model Y long range delivered September 22, built in China for the UK, VIN C402... Just realised it has matrix headlights (checked that it shows "Tesla" during the light show!) but it doesn't appear to do individual pixel dimming when the headlights are on. Does anyone know if this is deliberate or will come via an OTA update, given that the hardware is in place. Is my car an exception to the rule?

I have a Model Y long range delivered September 22, built in China for the UK, VIN C402... Just realised it has matrix headlights (checked that it shows "Tesla" during the light show!) but it doesn't appear to do individual pixel dimming when the headlights are on. Does anyone know if this is deliberate or will come via an OTA update, given that the hardware is in place. Is my car an exception to the rule?

Just waiting for them to enable it via software update. I can't speak for the UK..

In the US, our National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just approved this technology in 2022.

It's probably just "2 weeks" away....

• Funny
Reactions: KevinT3141
Well, that's that sorted then.

My 2023 Shanghai MY LR has the Matrix headlamps :)

VERY happy to see that, now we only need Tesla to actually start using them as Matrix headlamps

tesla 2.jpg

I got MY LR VIN assigned and EDD between April 12-18th. VIN shows it's getting built at Austin giga. When I pinged the SA about the lights, I got a response that I am going to get the latest premium lights. Has anyone picked up LR's built and delivered from Austin in the last week or 2?

Folks will line up at your door for those lights. IMO they are a substantial improvement in IRL lighting. I'm absolutely thrilled to have them.
And it seems the IIHS concurs with an improvement assessment. The IIHS 2023 Tesla Model Y headlight ratings include a Performance trim vehicle with the "LED projector" type and a Long Range trim vehicle with the "LED reflector" type. The former received a Good rating while the latter received just an Acceptable rating. Presumably this is the difference between the matrix and non-matrix Tesla parts.

Of course this gets further confused by Tesla making some, but not all, LRs with the matrix headlights and the IIHS not including details on how to further determine the spec. I can see Tesla being happy about this as it might sell more Performance trim vehicles.

While I generally prefer projector beams (especially the now "old school" bi-xenon projectors), having not seen Tesla's currently fixed LED pattern at night, in person, from their currently non-adaptive matrix units, I can only guess that I'd be very unhappy with the aforementioned visual gaps in the projected low beams. To me this sounds like an error in convergence adjustment of the matrix elements and something Tesla should be able to fix, despite them saying it's "normal". Again, I'd need to see the beam pattern but assume these are actual mid-span gaps or similar irregularities and not just typical, intended outer edge cutoffs on the sides or, for example, in the midpoint where the travel lane might have a different cutoff height than the oncoming traffic lane.

Reactions: Brown1428
Is there no indication on when Tesla will be able to start activating the Matrix functionality in their headlamps.

I mean, it's a nice gimmick that it can write TESLA on a wall, but that can not be the only reason to add them.

I read somewhere that it was because matrix headlamps were not certified in the US, but why would they not activate the function in parts of the world where matrix headlamps are actually already legal.

In the country i live in, there are "lots" of car brands and makes that has Matrix headlamps, and they are already activated and working fine.

Often they are said to give you "High beam in your own lane, but not blind incoming traffic"

If this is because they have not made the programming to control and enable them, do we know if they are actually working on this, at all ? From what i read, they started installing these headlamps "years ago" so it's not like they did not have the time to "perfect" this feature, and "Not certified in the US" is not really a reason not to do the software, and turn the feature on, in countries where it is allowed.

My guess is that when it will be available, it will be a paid upgrade like performance boost and whatnot.