Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P or Model 3 LR?

Model 3 Long Range or Model Y Performance? Columbus with snow winter.

• Model Y Performance

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Model 3 Long Range

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also on the fence about Performance vs Long Range. I have a MYLR with an EDD of 05/21-06/18. The delivery estimate ordering now is March for a Performance model.

My wife and I love the look of the Performance trim options (and obviously the speed), but have a few doubts. Does the lower suspension make it prone to bottoming out like a sedan on hilly or uneven terrain? How often do Performance owners generally go through tires?

Very very tempted to change my order, but those points are currently holding me back.
My only regret with respect to my Model 3 is getting the LR rather than Performance. That’s why I’m getting the MYP now.

Note: My friend has the Model 3 Performance and he hasn’t had to change his tires any more than I have with the LR. It all comes down to how you drive.

Reactions: sgong6
I am also on the fence about Performance vs Long Range. I have a MYLR with an EDD of 05/21-06/18. The delivery estimate ordering now is March for a Performance model.

My wife and I love the look of the Performance trim options (and obviously the speed), but have a few doubts. Does the lower suspension make it prone to bottoming out like a sedan on hilly or uneven terrain? How often do Performance owners generally go through tires?

Very very tempted to change my order, but those points are currently holding me back.
1) Even though the Performance Model is lower it is only 1" lower and that is quite a bit higher than the Model 3. I loved being able to step into my MY and don't think 1" will make that much difference. Like any Crossover SUV, I don't think you will experience bottoming out unless you do serious off-roading.
(Rent a vehicle if you want to do that).

The only tires I had problems with were the OEM Continentals. It seems that they had a limited life of 22,000 miles.
After getting rid of the Continentals, I have used Hankook tires, even on the Model X and they were great at half the price. Great ride, great grip, great miles and a great price.

I believe all Performance Ys now come with Michelin Pilot All Season 4 Tires with a 45,000-mile tread warranty. You won't have a problem with those.

I would recommend the Model YP for those reasons and for your opportunity to enjoy a Model YP Performance vehicle with new batteries and all the toys much sooner. My MYP Blue/White is scheduled to be delivered between Feb 21 and Mar 21. You'll have no regrets. Go for it.

My Pirelli Scorpian all-season tires lasted 48,000+ miles on my Model X, even running it on the track at Palm Beach International on occasion.

FWIW:

The Model Y Performance is the ultimate choice, in anyways. Unless you need 7-seats.

It is the best in any way. Even better than the 5 seat model X non-plaid.

The only downside is the 21-inch rim.

According to online sources and my guts, this 21-inch wheel will be an easy burst and is expensive to repair.

Although now they have All-season tires, it only solves the critical part of no all-season tire.
Still, it is easy to burst and expensive to repair.

I plan to get Gemini wheels or 18-inch Martian to replace them ASAP or when I burst my tire.

I believe all Performance Ys now come with Michelin Pilot All Season 4 Tires with a 45,000-mile tread warranty. You won't have a problem with those.
OEM tires are NEVER covered under treadwear warranties.....not with Tesla, not with any manufacture. Stated clearly in the warranty docs direct from Michelin.

Untitled.jpg

OEM tires are NEVER covered under treadwear warranties.....not with Tesla, not with any manufacture. Stated clearly in the warranty docs direct from Michelin.

View attachment 762138

That's my point. My Model X went in for maintenance a month after I got it and the tread measured 7. Same on my Model Y, when it was delivered (pic).
It would be nice to know upfront that your new car and tires are like buying a printer with trial cartridges as opposed to having to comb through a tire document to find out. I have found that OEM tires last about 22,000 miles. It was a rude awakening for me. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Attachments

• 20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
My only regret with respect to my Model 3 is getting the LR rather than Performance. That’s why I’m getting the MYP now.

Note: My friend has the Model 3 Performance and he hasn’t had to change his tires any more than I have with the LR. It all comes down to how you drive.
Same exact situation here. Loved the 3LR, but always wished I went for the 3P. Especially with the MYP only $5k more than the MYLR right now, it was easier to justify than when I was making the same decision on the 3.

of course the EDD is falling right on the brink of the Austin ramp, so time will tell how that plays out. If the curb weight drops as much as we hope with the move to the structural 4680s, it will be close to the curb weight of the 3. That should help quite a bit with more nimble handling and livelier acceleration when poking the throttle at any speed. Seems like it will potentially be the best of both worlds in that case.

I currently drive M3P. We were shopping for an SUV for my wife to replace her ML350. My wife landed on MY after test driving my friend's MY. First, we ordered MYLR at the end of December with a July date. A week later, she changed her mind to get MYP, and we updated our order on January 04. Our delivery dates changed a couple of times, and now it says February 18 to March 04.

After driving M3P for 2+ years, we were skeptical about MYP, especially the tires. But love the ride and the look of the performance. I did blow both my left side tires and rims after hitting a pothole (it was more like a manhole). Three cars in front of me went over that hole and blew their tires. Other than that, I haven't had a single problem with my tires. Of course, the range is a different story :)

I just placed an order for a MYLR but am still contemplating between MYP vs MYLR. MYP looks nice and fast but MYLR is still plenty fast. I grew up with Nissan Leaf so I am more conscientious with range than performance. I plan to take mine to snow so 20in wheels might be a better option. I still have 6 months to change my mind…