Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance: 21 -> 19' Rim impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - we are expecting our MYP in a couple of weeks. A key question is whether to change to smaller rim - for a variety of reasons mentioned on the internet.

Some fundamental questions are:
  1. Given the car has staggered tires. Changing it to 19' standardized wheels - what is the impact on handling / steering / cornering / accelerating ? Am worried about this change messing the car.
  2. Is there any specific re-calibration that is needed?
  3. Can someone give a definitive answer on warranty?

For folks that have done this change - please share your experiences. I am in New Jersey - so if you can share which tire shop you used and where did you buy the 19' wheels that would be super helpful?

Note - in full transparency, we are buying MYP (versus MYLR) only because its available much sooner.
Reason we are buying MYP is because our M3 got totaled in a hydroplaning accident - that is why we are paranoid about tires now!

Thanks!

Perhaps consider buying a MYLR since you really don’t want a MYP. Austin & Fremont are making MYLR so wait times should decrease. To speed up obtaining a MYLR, keep calling to ask if they have any inventory cars in your area which have some or all your desired features. That’s what I did & got a car in a few days. I bet many people start trying to play tax credit games and rejecting their first opportunity to take delivery.

Upvote 0
There are really no issues when going from 21 inch wheels to 19 inch wheels. I got my wheels from sportline. They have a good selection of Tesla wheels at reasonable prices and they often have sales going on. And the difference in the comfort level between the two size wheels is very evident. I am running 38 psi in my tires and that gives me a comfort level about equal to a model three.

Upvote 0
Changing from 21 to 19 on an MYP will of course depend on tires as well as the wheel size. But I stuck with an all-season performance tire (though a different brand), and frankly didn't notice a ton of difference. You do lose a little bit of sharpness in the steering, but you gain a little better ride and a little more protection against blowouts. (And cheaper replacement tires). Maybe I need to lower pressures to get more ride comfort, as Tdriver mentioned.

I don't recall noticing any difference in acceleration on the MYP, though the TSportline wheels I got are quite a bit lighter. I did notice that similar 2" smaller and lighter wheels were quicker on my old M3P than the originals; maybe because that car was quicker and on stickier summer tires (same on both wheel sets).

No calibration done...I just changed Tesla's wheel settings on the infotainment screen.

Warranty? If your new wheel/tires cause problems, Tesla won't warrant that, not that I'd expect them to. Otherwise no changes.

My MYP on 19" Tsportlines:
PXL_20220505_012046721.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Changing from 21 to 19 on an MYP will of course depend on tires as well as the wheel size. But I stuck with an all-season performance tire (though a different brand), and frankly didn't notice a ton of difference. You do lose a little bit of sharpness in the steering, but you gain a little better ride and a little more protection against blowouts. (And cheaper replacement tires). Maybe I need to lower pressures to get more ride comfort, as Tdriver mentioned.

I don't recall noticing any difference in acceleration on the MYP, though the TSportline wheels I got are quite a bit lighter. I did notice that similar 2" smaller and lighter wheels were quicker on my old M3P than the originals; maybe because that car was quicker and on stickier summer tires (same on both wheel sets).

No calibration done...I just changed Tesla's wheel settings on the infotainment screen.

Warranty? If your new wheel/tires cause problems, Tesla won't warrant that, not that I'd expect them to. Otherwise no changes.

View attachment 848766
Thanks!!

Upvote 0
What exactly does the Tire Configurator do these days? When I changed mine from 21" to 19" on my new MYP the rated range didn't change as it did before. Since all the OEM Tesla tires/wheels all come within a faction of an inch of each other (diameter that is) it's not like there would be much speedometer error to address.

And the 18' tires and wheels I bought from TSportLine also have the same 28" (give or take 1/4 inch) diameter as the OEM's. Do I really need to change the setting from 21" to say 19"?

So again what does the new Tire Configurator do these days?

Reactions: MBx4
Upvote 0

View attachment 848766
How do you like Contis? Debating on the same set up you have since Tsport don't have Michelin A/S 4 in stock yet. They say sometime in September but I if I want to take advantage of their Labor Day sale it will have to be the Conti A/S. What size did you go with,40 or 45? Thanks

Upvote 0
The Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus All-Season that I got are 255/45-19.

I put them on pretty much as soon as I got the car, so I can't give a good comparison to the OEM all-seasons. I drove to the tire shop on the OEMs and out on the DWS...and frankly didn't notice a big change right away. (I have usually noticed more change when switching wheel/tire combos in the past).

The weather since I put them on has also been fairly warm and dry, so I can't yet report on how they handle widely varying conditions. They clearly don't have the amazing grip that my M3P's Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires had; not that I'd expect them to. But they do so far seem overall like a pretty good match for the car. I have no complaints, but they haven't amazed me either.

Years ago I had DWS06 on my Roadster (before the "Plus" was available). Again, they didn't have nearly the dry grip that the OEM summer Toyo Proxes had, but I was pretty pleased with them in the winter.

Tirerack likes 'em, for what that's worth. They do note that competitors from major tire makers are pretty close.

Reactions: gabbar75
Upvote 0
This question comes up a lot and I am waiting on my tsportline TSS wheels currently. I went with the TSS in 19" with the OE Continental tires (Not the DWS06).

Many folks complain of the harsh ride on the 21" and I agree though I think there is much more to it. Here are my reasons for switching away from the 21" wheels:

• Ride comfort (better damping, less vibration, and less road noise)
  • Tire options - Lower cost tires with better treadwear warranty, more selection, and able to be rotated to maximize life.
  • wheel protection - less likely to curb, less likely to be damaged by potholes etc.
  • weight and range - the unsprung weight is an issue for comfort and range. The 21" ubers are about 39 lbs each. The Gemini wheels about 29 lbs each. The TSS by tsportline in 19" is about 27 lbs. The lighter wheel will provide a smoother ride and better range.
The cons are looks. The factory 21" wheels look awesome but that is where their practicality ends. Sure they provide a little more traction and better handling but those IMO are really only useful on the track. For a daily driver the four points above are more important to me.

Upvote 1
The type of tire, and make and model of the tire impacts handling, noises, and comfort far more than size differences.
With tires chosen being the same, there are some differences yes. But in general it character of the tire is in the construction, design, and materials.

1. Given the car has staggered tires. Changing it to 19' standardized wheels - what is the impact on handling / steering / cornering / accelerating ?
    Am worried about this change messing the car.

A: Handling: this is more a choice in tire type. If you buy the same exact brand and model of tire in a new size, typically things stay pretty consistent from how it was before. With a sidewall thickness increase, and smaller diameter wheel, there is a slight decrease in road noise, and harshness from impacts. If the new set of wheels are lighter, it will also feel less harsh too, as un-sprung weight typically reduces greatly with smaller wheel sizes as well.
    Cornering (and Braking/Acceleration) are all elements related to overall grip. This also is a function of the tire compound and construction, and intended use by design, so again, if the same tires are used in different size, there will not be a huge change here.

It is just a matter of how much area of the tire is touching the ground
    (Contact Patch - about the size of a postcard) and
    what this tire is made with (Compound - softer the more grippy, but typically constructed with far more robust and harsh belts and sidewalls to withstand large forces. And for harder compound, the opposite is true, where hard rubber won't generate huge loads, so sidewalls and belts, shoulder design will tend to be softer, more compliant, less noisy, and very long lasting and efficient).

So to make a car corner and respond more sharply, at expense of comfort, tire life, and road noise.
    We can choose tires that are designated as "Ultra High Performance, Summer Performance, etc"

And most "All Season, Touring, Economy" labeled tires are ones that tend to have more compliant sidewalls, silent tread, hard compounds and long lasting, long range economy designs overall.

General guideline is to look for a designation on tire catalogs that say "Treadwear" or "UTQG"
    This will be a number typically between 50 and 600 or so.

Racing Track tire will typically have a rating of 50~200.
    Ultra High Performance Street Tire will have a rating of 180~300 or so.
    Sports Street or Touring Tire will be 300~400 or so.
    All Season and Economy Tire will be 400~600.

As you can see, this will be a general but a easy indicator of what the tire's design is targeted for, and what you can expect with character of the tire.
    Lots of things can still vary but generally speaking this is a good way to comparison shop within a certain category of tire.

Exception to this is a dedicated WINTER TIRE, which is typically extremely soft at warm season temperatures, and are designed SPECIFICALLY for use in winter sub-zero conditions and in wet, cold slippery and icy situations. They do not perform well in dry and wear extremely fast in warm and dry weather. These typically do not have a UTQG rate number and do have a "Severe Winter Service" icon or description on the sidewall.
    It's a great tire to have in places with long winters, and for those who can own two separate sets for cold and warm seasons.

2. Is there any specific re-calibration that is needed?

Cars will only need recalibration if the overall diameter of tire changes. For any new wheel/tire sets, simply check the brand website or other information online to see the diameter. If the difference of this measurement is within about 2-3%, it's usually within the variation range to not cause issues. Most all modern cars do, however, have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors) which do have to be reprogrammed to the car if the existing ones were not pulled from the current set of tires. This is not a huge deal and is easy for a tire shop to do, but they do go INSIDE the the tires so be sure the installer puts on the CORRECT sensor if this is a new set. It is a very expensive and tedious process to remove and replace all of them these days, if they are incompatible and won't talk to the car.

3. Can someone give a definitive answer on warranty?

Typically warranty of tire is by the tire maker, or the tire dealer that sold them to you.
    Not with Tesla unless this is the original set which came on the car at initial delivery.
    Aftermarket wheels are warrantied and serviced by the respective maker as well.

Hope this helps? I'll answer other questions too. :D

Upvote 0
This question comes up a lot and I am waiting on my tsportline TSS wheels currently. I went with the TSS in 19" with the OE Continental tires (Not the DWS06).

Many folks complain of the harsh ride on the 21" and I agree though I think there is much more to it. Here are my reasons for switching away from the 21" wheels:

• Ride comfort (better damping, less vibration, and less road noise)
  • Tire options - Lower cost tires with better treadwear warranty, more selection, and able to be rotated to maximize life.
  • wheel protection - less likely to curb, less likely to be damaged by potholes etc.
  • weight and range - the unsprung weight is an issue for comfort and range. The 21" ubers are about 39 lbs each. The Gemini wheels about 29 lbs each. The TSS by tsportline in 19" is about 27 lbs. The lighter wheel will provide a smoother ride and better range.
The cons are looks. The factory 21" wheels look awesome but that is where their practicality ends. Sure they provide a little more traction and better handling but those IMO are really only useful on the track. For a daily driver the four points above are more important to me.
Very helpful!
I am going for TSV from Tsportline
Why didn’t you go for Continental DWS06? Any special reason?

Reactions: Moto Miwa
Upvote 0

View attachment 848766
Brit here thinking of doing exactly the same. I'm tempted to move from a 2019 M3P to MYP but definitely don't want the 21s as they are too susceptible to damage. I quickly changed the 20s on the M3P to 18" with Michelin Cross Climates and they've served me very well. So you get most of the performance but much more practical.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but before I make the jump, how's it going with the MYP on the 19s please? Not as pretty as the OEMs but still good looking enough and durability is key. Cheers from the UK.

Upvote 0
I'm still very happy with the 19's on my MYP (as noted and pictured above, I have Continental DWS06+ on TSportline wheels). I've had the chance to drive in quite a bit of rain, and some snow and ice, and they've done very well. I just looked the tires over in detail; they've got 5k on them and I can't tell just by looking that there's been any tire wear yet.

On another note, I went from an M3P to an MYP. The Y has some very obvious utility advantages, and the speed is close enough it's not a big deal...but if you throw it hard in to a corner, the MYP is not nearly as well-composed as the M3P. If you drive sensibly on public roads you may never notice the difference, but if you like cornering you may be disappointed.

Upvote 0
I'm still very happy with the 19's on my MYP (as noted and pictured above, I have Continental DWS06+ on TSportline wheels). I've had the chance to drive in quite a bit of rain, and some snow and ice, and they've done very well. I just looked the tires over in detail; they've got 5k on them and I can't tell just by looking that there's been any tire wear yet.

On another note, I went from an M3P to an MYP. The Y has some very obvious utility advantages, and the speed is close enough it's not a big deal...but if you throw it hard in to a corner, the MYP is not nearly as well-composed as the M3P. If you drive sensibly on public roads you may never notice the difference, but if you like cornering you may be disappointed.
Excellent thank you. We're off to the sales centre tomorrow so looking like a done deal. I hear you about the cornering but I guess at my age my boy-racer days are fast diminishing :) - appreciate your help, cheers.

Reactions: ChadS
Upvote 0
I have a ton of my thoughts in this thread.
model-y-performance-on-tst-19-wheels-from-tsportline-pics-attached.263326

After running them now for 9 months, I can say I have absolutely zero regrets. Immediate ride improvement (furthered by the Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers I installed), improved wh/mi, and I do actually really like the look. With a slight lowering, my car actually feels like a tall wagon now instead of a mid-sized SUV.

My other car is a BMW E46 M3 with a lot of modifications, and I've owned many many sports cars, tracked them, etc so I do know my way around handling dynamics. I can say honestly there really isn't any changes in the handling dynamics when switching to 19's.

In fact, theoretically you may gain some handling due to the reduction in unsprung mass. You do end up running less wide of tires, but you can simply just spec wider tires if you need the extra contact patch.

I can't say I honestly notice any difference in acceleration. From a launch, it's still fast as balls, and traction/stability control will take care of any slip of course. On the freeway and at speed, obviously there is zero difference in putting torque down to the wheels.

Tires are cheaper, even for the high end tires that I personally prefer.

It's a modification that I highly recommend. TSportline is where I would personally go, and I do like their tire+wheel packages just for convenience as the TPMS is already installed, and you just pop old wheels off and the new wheels on. Totally plug and play.

If you want to spec your own tire size/brand/model, you can buy the wheels, and swap the TPMS from your old wheels over, or buy a set of TPMS from TSportline if you want to sell your old wheels. I ended up selling my Uberturbines with a few hundred miles on them and zero wear for $1900 at that time.

Reactions: spon88
Upvote 0
Excellent thank you. We're off to the sales centre tomorrow so looking like a done deal. I hear you about the cornering but I guess at my age my boy-racer days are fast diminishing :) - appreciate your help, cheers.

I'm 69 and miss the cornering from my '18 M3. Currently driving a '22 PY, June build. The ride is much better, even with the 21" wheels. Wish I had the new comfort suspension and 4680's with front casting, but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
I have a ton of my thoughts in this thread.
model-y-performance-on-tst-19-wheels-from-tsportline-pics-attached.263326

After running them now for 9 months, I can say I have absolutely zero regrets. Immediate ride improvement (furthered by the Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers I installed), improved wh/mi, and I do actually really like the look. With a slight lowering, my car actually feels like a tall wagon now instead of a mid-sized SUV.

My other car is a BMW E46 M3 with a lot of modifications, and I've owned many many sports cars, tracked them, etc so I do know my way around handling dynamics. I can say honestly there really isn't any changes in the handling dynamics when switching to 19's.

In fact, theoretically you may gain some handling due to the reduction in unsprung mass. You do end up running less wide of tires, but you can simply just spec wider tires if you need the extra contact patch.

I can't say I honestly notice any difference in acceleration. From a launch, it's still fast as balls, and traction/stability control will take care of any slip of course. On the freeway and at speed, obviously there is zero difference in putting torque down to the wheels.

Tires are cheaper, even for the high end tires that I personally prefer.

It's a modification that I highly recommend. TSportline is where I would personally go, and I do like their tire+wheel packages just for convenience as the TPMS is already installed, and you just pop old wheels off and the new wheels on. Totally plug and play.

If you want to spec your own tire size/brand/model, you can buy the wheels, and swap the TPMS from your old wheels over, or buy a set of TPMS from TSportline if you want to sell your old wheels. I ended up selling my Uberturbines with a few hundred miles on them and zero wear for $1900 at that time.
Excellent information thank you. I've just pressed the button on a MYP and trading in the M3P direct with Tesla. I've already got my eye on the TSportline rims but will have to take a shipping and import tax hit to bring them over to the UK. Worth it though. Not so sure about losing the ultrasonics but I'm assured the upcoming TeslaVision will more than compensate. Our Tesla journey continues. Cheers from over the pond.

Upvote 0
Excellent information thank you. I've just pressed the button on a MYP and trading in the M3P direct with Tesla. I've already got my eye on the TSportline rims but will have to take a shipping and import tax hit to bring them over to the UK. Worth it though. Not so sure about losing the ultrasonics but I'm assured the upcoming TeslaVision will more than compensate. Our Tesla journey continues. Cheers from over the pond.
I hope that's the case. I'm not personally sold on TeslaVision being able to do the job that USS does SO well, and honestly, I kinda don't understand it other than cost savings (for the manufacturer). If it ain't broke, and actually works fantastic, then why fix it...

But hey, we will see.

Upvote 0
I hope that's the case. I'm not personally sold on TeslaVision being able to do the job that USS does SO well, and honestly, I kinda don't understand it other than cost savings (for the manufacturer). If it ain't broke, and actually works fantastic, then why fix it...

But hey, we will see.

Personally, I think it's a big mistake removing it and especially removing it before the software fix is in place. It's something that makes me want to keep my '22 PY and forget about a newer one with 4680's, front casting, structural pack, powered frunk, newer cameras, etc. I use the USS every day backing into my garage. I really don't trust the SW fix using cameras to catch everything.

Upvote 0