Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance being delivered with A/S tires not summer tires!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

esteed

OD 10/25, MYP, MSM/Black, no tow, no FSD, DD 12/21
Oct 27, 2021
Cottage Grove, MN
So I live in Minnesota where we get the occasional snow, ice and other crappy road conditions that summer performance tires don’t really like. I ordered my MYP back in late October and was reminded that they come with summer performance tires. Needless to say I went out and purchased some new rims and all season tires to put on right after delivery.

Fast forward to about four days ago. I was reading some of the Facebook forums and I saw people posting about taking delivery of their new performance model Y. Someone asked what kind of tires came with it and to my shock they said Michelin pilot sport 4 A/S tires!! The only two that I saw for sure were in Las Vegas and Hawaii. Go figure, two places where you really wouldn’t want an all season tire. Meanwhile I sit up here in the frozen tundra and I’m being told that they are still being delivered with performance tires.

Has anyone seen this elsewhere that I have not heard of? I’m torn on whether I would want to keep the staggered set of all season tires if they came that way from the factory versus the wheels and tires that I bought in a square configuration that I can rotate.

Has anyone seen this elsewhere that I have not heard of?

How about another thread here?

How about another thread here?

Gah lol I remember seeing that now that you pointed it out. Again- another climate where those tires are wasted..

Reactions: jjrandorin
I was just teasing a bit. TMC is very large so it can be hard to find threads. Thats a really good all season tire, but I wonder what tesla is doing for people like where I live (in southern california). I have been driving on summer tires all year round for like 15 years, as where I am it never gets below 42 for any real length of time.

I have been driving with Michelin PS4S tires on my model 3 Performance since Dec of 2018 (not the same set though, lol). Anyway, I have always wondered how someone who got real, actual, "winter" dealt with buying a performance car that came with summer tires. Having a spare set on hand for delivery seems like a lot of gymnastics.

I was just teasing a bit. TMC is very large so it can be hard to find threads. Thats a really good all season tire, but I wonder what tesla is doing for people like where I live (in southern california). I have been driving on summer tires all year round for like 15 years, as where I am it never gets below 42 for any real length of time.

I have been driving with Michelin PS4S tires on my model 3 Performance since Dec of 2018 (not the same set though, lol). Anyway, I have always wondered how someone who got real, actual, "winter" dealt with buying a performance car that came with summer tires. Having a spare set on hand for delivery seems like a lot of gymnastics.
I think that it's par for the course w/ any sports oriented car. Anyone driving an 11 second car should know what's involved imo.

Ha no worries the teasing was warranted. I remember reading that thread I just couldn’t recall where.

The pisser is that all the deliveries I’ve seen get A/S tires are in climates that don’t need them. I’m ready for the season, I have wheels and A/S tires ready to install day of delivery. It would be a nice surprise to see A/S tires show up with my MYP though!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Ha no worries the teasing was warranted. I remember reading that thread I just couldn’t recall where.

The pisser is that all the deliveries I’ve seen get A/S tires are in climates that don’t need them. I’m ready for the season, I have wheels and A/S tires ready to install day of delivery. It would be a nice surprise to see A/S tires show up with my MYP though!
Not sure you’re understanding what the pirellis summers are like in cold temps, but if you drive the car in temperatures under 50 degrees, the rubber turns into a hockey puck. Under 40 degrees it’s even worse. It’s a legit hazard for highway driving at or below those temperatures. That’s a healthy chunk of the US in winter and why AS4’s are starting to make it on the cars. That and Michelin finally is producing OEM sizes.

Reactions: omegafiler
Not sure you’re understanding what the pirellis summers are like in cold temps, but if you drive the car in temperatures under 50 degrees, the rubber turns into a hockey puck. Under 40 degrees it’s even worse. It’s a legit hazard for highway driving at or below those temperatures. That’s a healthy chunk of the US in winter and why AS4’s are starting to make it on the cars. That and Michelin finally is producing OEM sizes.
Oh I definitely do get it. I've never owned a car with dedicated summer tires but I've heard you absolutely cannot use them in winter conditions. My whole issue was that I was told when I ordered the car (and they're still standing behind it) that it would come with summer tires. Because of that, I went out and bought a tire/wheel package with A/S tires to be installed the day I pick up the car. Now I'm hearing that people here and there have started to receive the car with A/S tires already on them instead of the summer tires. I don't know if it's a stop-gap measure because they're having problems sourcing the P-Zero's or if it's the new direction they plan on going. Either way, if mine shows up with A/S tires then there was no reason for me to buy any in the first place. Communication tesla... tire options are kind of a big deal when you're talking about a dedicated summer tire that's worthless in the midwest winters.

Oh I definitely do get it. I've never owned a car with dedicated summer tires but I've heard you absolutely cannot use them in winter conditions. My whole issue was that I was told when I ordered the car (and they're still standing behind it) that it would come with summer tires. Because of that, I went out and bought a tire/wheel package with A/S tires to be installed the day I pick up the car. Now I'm hearing that people here and there have started to receive the car with A/S tires already on them instead of the summer tires. I don't know if it's a stop-gap measure because they're having problems sourcing the P-Zero's or if it's the new direction they plan on going. Either way, if mine shows up with A/S tires then there was no reason for me to buy any in the first place. Communication tesla... tire options are kind of a big deal when you're talking about a dedicated summer tire that's worthless in the midwest winters.
I’m with you, it’s quite frustrating and it seems the service advisors have no inside knowledge compared to our App information. I drove through the Portland Tesla lot for the 3 MYP’s awaiting delivery and 2 had AS4 tires and 1 still had the Pirelli Summers. So who knows..

You will get what they have available to them at the time, remember, there is a shortage of a lot of stuff right now. I live in Montreal Canada, needless to say we have pretty decent cold winters with a fair amount of snow. Just received my Model S LR on Dec 28th with high performance Pirelli P zero tires yet the LR seems to come normally with AS tires, the Plaid gets the P Zeros. I had winter tires on dedicated rims waiting for the car so in my case I preferred this. Bottom line is you will get what they have on the shelf.

I live in Toronto. I get it. I’ve been watching threads too. I asked my sales advisor and she said I’m likely to get the summer tires. Not only do I need to buy replacements, it’s impossible reselling summer tires in an area with a cold weather climate.

I wish that they would match the type of tire based on the climate of the purchaser!

I’m with you, it’s quite frustrating and it seems the service advisors have no inside knowledge compared to our App information. I drove through the Portland Tesla lot for the 3 MYP’s awaiting delivery and 2 had AS4 tires and 1 still had the Pirelli Summers. So who knows..
My understanding is that until very recently there were no AS tires that fit the staggered setup on the MYP.

Reactions: Redline_
It’s not cut and dry on fire allocation. They are suppose to be retrofitting MYP’s with Michelin A/S vs Perelli based on geography. Doesn’t always see to be the case, but less MYP’s are getting delivered in the PNW with Pirelli’s. I can’t speak to MYLR versions. The tires are now available is a manufactured available sizing which has been in the works for apparently 2 years.

Reactions: Redline_
It’s not cut and dry on fire allocation. They are suppose to be retrofitting MYP’s with Michelin A/S vs Perelli based on geography. Doesn’t always see to be the case, but less MYP’s are getting delivered in the PNW with Pirelli’s. I can’t speak to MYLR versions. The tires are now available is a manufactured available sizing which has been in the works for apparently 2 years.
MYLRs come with A/S in both 19 and 20 inch wheel configs.