Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs Jaguar iPace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which one is better looking is an opinion.

No contest IMO
world-premiere-of-jaguar-ipace-electric-suv-concept-vehicle-at-geneva-HT8EHR.jpg

teslay.jpg

Reactions: bay74 and MXWing
The point of a vehicle from the manufacturer's standpoint is to make money by selling it to someone who is willing to pay more than it cost to manufacture for said vehicle.

Getting from A to B is one of the typical tasks of the typical vehicle, yes. It is not the only purpose any vehicle might ever have, nor the sole objective by which they get judged. And certainly the distance between A and B is different for different users.

Anyone who can live with a Nissan Leaf as their primary car can certainly live with an iPace...

You're killing me, Smalls

Based on your "point" no one should be making EVs other than Tesla because all of them paying less than what it cost to manufacture for said vehicle.

Even Tesla themselves are not at macro-view break even. They do make a money on a per-vehicle basis, so the expectation is they will achieve GAAP profitability and S&P 500 inclusion eventually.

A Tesla can realistically, be your ONLY vehicle. If you had a Leaf or an iPace you have to own something OR rely on alternative means of vehicular transportation.

I kept a Volt for YEARS in case I needed the ICE backup. Never needed it - except when driving the Volt.

Jaguar lost 4 billion last quarter. I am thinking the odds of Tata Motors going under are much higher than Tesla.

Go buy your IPace and see how far it takes you. Literally and figuratively.

People. SMH

Bloomberg - jaguar-land-rover-is-headed-for-a-cash-crash

You're killing me, Smalls

Based on your "point" no one should be making EVs other than Tesla because all of them paying less than what it cost to manufacture for said vehicle.

Even Tesla themselves are not at macro-view break even. They do make a money on a per-vehicle basis, so the expectation is they will achieve GAAP profitability and S&P 500 inclusion eventually.

A Tesla can realistically, be your ONLY vehicle. If you had a Leaf or an iPace you have to own something OR rely on alternative means of vehicular transportation.

I kept a Volt for YEARS in case I needed the ICE backup. Never needed it - except when driving the Volt.

Jaguar lost 4 billion last quarter. I am thinking the odds of Tata Motors going under are much higher than Tesla.

Go buy your IPace and see how far it takes you. Literally and figuratively.

People. SMH

Bloomberg - jaguar-land-rover-is-headed-for-a-cash-crash

Go buy my iPace, huh?

I have never said in any way that I preferred an iPace to a Y or my X.

My point had continued to be that the Y is better at some things, and the iPace at others. I personally think the things the Y is better at are more important, but I believe in free will and freedom to choose, and I can imagine people deciding that the things the iPace is better at are more important to them in their situations.

Reactions: cizUK
Go buy my iPace, huh?

I have never said in any way that I preferred an iPace to a Y or my X.

My point had continued to be that the Y is better at some things, and the iPace at others. I personally think the things the Y is better at are more important, but I believe in free will and freedom to choose, and I can imagine people deciding that the things the iPace is better at are more important to them in their situations.

Apologies if it came off as personal, I really meant anyone who decided to get an iPace in the face of overwhelmingly better Tesla offerings.

If I met you in person and you said you got an iPace. I would politely smile, nod my head, feign excitedness and work with you like a child who needs validation.

“oh thats nice”
“You must get a lot of attention”
“very original and edgy not a Tesla bot eh?”
“What a handsome car”
“Look at that frunk! Fits a pack of my wife’s tampons so easily!”

I’d ask to see it, marvel at all the knobs, and controls.

Once I got back to my 3 though, I’d hug the wheel and reassure my 3 I’m not an idiot and would never trade him away for a Jaguar.

Please don’t let my children know they have free will.

They don’t think they do, and it’s better that way. (For now). They might get strange ideas like thinking an IPace is cool or something.

Last edited:
Interesting. To my eye it's, surprisingly, more garish than a Fisker.

Trust me, you are in the majority.

It’s not a crime to be challenged at recognizing aesthetics.

Trivia: even babies prefer attractive things over non attractive things.

I’m pretty confident even infants would prefer the Y over the iPace.

Also learned a new word. No idea what garish meant until I looked it up. I would of used gaudy but those are synynoums!

In Chinese culture, only tuhao would buy this thing. It translates to roughly “tacky rich” lmao.

Last edited:
Apologies if it came off as personal, I really meant anyone who decided to get an iPace in the face of overwhelmingly better Tesla offerings.

If I met you in person and you said you got an iPace. I would politely smile, nod my head, feign excitedness and work with you like a child who needs validation.

“oh thats nice”
“You must get a lot of attention”
“very original and edgy not a Tesla bot eh?”
“What a handsome car”
“Look at that frunk! Fits a pack of my wife’s tampons so easily!”

I’d ask to see it, marvel at all the knobs, and controls.

Once I got back to my 3 though, I’d hug the wheel and reassure my 3 I’m not an idiot and would never trade him away for a Jaguar.

Please don’t let my children know they have free will.

They don’t think they do, and it’s better that way. (For now). They might get strange ideas like thinking an IPace is cool or something.
I actually did drive my 3 to an iPace test drive.... and I did hug my wheel and reassure my 3 when I drove home. :)

Here's a One Take review of the I-PACE by Matt at The Smoking Tire. His big dislike is the CCS charging infrastructure plus really slow infotainment. There are a few Tesla nuggets, including the I-PACE "doesn't feel like things were left out and memes were put in".

Now confirmed Model Y will be able to tow.

Those pulling for the iPace are looking more and more foolish.

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

We need all the brands with emerging EV designs to participate. It’s going to take all these promised examples coming in 2020 to fill the demand. Once the “public gets it” we will see them eat up the VW ID series and Hyundai Kona etc.

If Electrify America actuallly builds out its infrastructure, Tesla continues to add chargers and continues to offer every car manufacturer access, and ChargePoint etc would put in thousands more terminals, we’d be ready.

As it is we aren’t building out the charging infrastructure fast enough. Even the Tesla destination chargers can be used by every make with a TeslaTap adapter. Put 20 of those at every Walmart and Target in the USA far away from the entrance, with an additional charger at every handicapped spot so disabled people always have access at their usual spot.

I believe the “gas station mentality” is a thing of the past.

At least it needs to be.

If a popular grocery store chain in our region (since there’s few national stores) like HEB, Publix, Safeway, and Giant Eagle were to decide to participate on a serious level, that would spur EV adoption.

One or two L2 destination chargers at a business is cute, but when will businesses get serious? Put in 20-30 chargers in the farther away parking spots. Not up front.

Everyone that owns an EV needs to talk with employers about workplace chargers as well. Why not?

Charging Partners | Tesla