Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance with really heavy Wheels/Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a set of TSW 21x10.5 rims average 33 lbs, some BBS forged come in at 29.5, which is crazy because 20x9 are 10lbs less. A 21" tire is ~28lbs so even a "lightweight" setup is 57.5-61 lbs, for the rear size at least.

So that puts the OE rear ones at roughly 40lbs. Which is more but not absurd since they're mainly made to look good, not really be "performance " minded as they stated in the video.

So a set of TSW 21x10.5 rims average 33 lbs, some BBS forged come in at 29.5, which is crazy because 20x9 are 10lbs less. A 21" tire is ~28lbs so even a "lightweight" setup is 57.5-61 lbs, for the rear size at least.

So that puts the OE rear ones at roughly 40lbs. Which is more but not absurd since they're mainly made to look good, not really be "performance " minded as they stated in the video.
I ordered the PUP, but I'm thinking that I might not keep the tires. I need to swap them for snow tires for the winter, and when it's time to swap back, I might go for something a little smaller and more efficient.

I ordered the PUP, but I'm thinking that I might not keep the tires. I need to swap them for snow tires for the winter, and when it's time to swap back, I might go for something a little smaller and more efficient.

I wonder if 18’s will work for winter wheels? I had 21” wheels on my 2016 XC90, the dealer sold me 18’s for a winter setup. Worked great. I’d like to do the same with the MY.

I run 18's for winter tires on my Model 3 mainly for pothole resistance but also for better range. You might have an issue on the Model Y Performance because of the bigger brake calipers. But there are some third party 18" wheels that fit the Performance Model 3. Sorry, I don't recall which but I do remember seeing reports of them fitting. The good thing is you won't need winter tires for a long while so you can wait and see as others test the market.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I run 18's for winter tires on my Model 3 mainly for pothole resistance but also for better range. You might have an issue on the Model Y Performance because of the bigger brake calipers. But there are some third party 18" wheels that fit the Performance Model 3. Sorry, I don't recall which but I do remember seeing reports of them fitting. The good thing is you won't need winter tires for a long while so you can wait and see as others test the market.

If an 18" wheels fits on the M3 PUP it will fit on the MY PUP, there have already been video's of people doing this on YouTube. Rotor size is the same on the M3 PUP as all MY's, not just performance ones as rotors are the same no matter which MY you buy (feel free to verify in the manual, that's where I saw they were all 14").

I wonder if 18’s will work for winter wheels? I had 21” wheels on my 2016 XC90, the dealer sold me 18’s for a winter setup. Worked great. I’d like to do the same with the MY.

Yes, 18" wheels will fit. The same guy from OP's video is in this video with his Model Y and some aftermarket 18" wheels on it. He also takes it around the track in the same 18" wheels in the second video below:

I am getting the MY PUP, I do love the look of the 21" wheels, think they look really good really.. but yeah the weight is crazy. My plan is to downsize eventually to a lighter 19" or 20" wheel with all seasons most likely. But ill probably get the full life out of the 21" wheels until then. I do wish they would have kept the wheel sizes the same for all 4 corners.. really didn't see the need for them to stagger it.

If an 18" wheels fits on the M3 PUP it will fit on the MY PUP, there have already been video's of people doing this on YouTube. Rotor size is the same on the M3 PUP as all MY's, not just performance ones as rotors are the same no matter which MY you buy (feel free to verify in the manual, that's where I saw they were all 14").
The offset for the aero 18's may be different. Tsportline commented on it a couple of days ago. I can't find the post today.

I wish there was an option for the 19" wheels on the MY performance package. Opting for the performance Y without the performance package without any reduction in price is more Tesla price gouging.
I agree. If I was getting the Performance, the cheapskate in me would have to get the package as well -- mostly for the brakes and suspension. There seem to be enough people on here that love the Uberturbines though, so I'd just sell them immediately or trade them out with someone who has the 20's. Alternatively, I'd sell them immediately and buy some aftermarket 19s or 20s that were more to my liking. But that's just me and I don't really like the look of the uberturbines, the weight, and just wheels that big in general.

Who am I kidding, I wouldn't get the performance model to begin with.

Reactions: Electric Steve

I believe the issue on the performance models is the size of the red performance caliper. This prevents using the oem 18" aero wheels on the performance cars, along with the extra lip in the centre hub on the rear of the M3P they point out in the video. It's only certain aftermarket 18's that work on the M3P if I might be correct. So there might be more aftermarket 18's that will fit the Y, if only because of the lack of the M3's extra lip. But I could be wrong.

We will be building a set of 21" Forged wheel for Brian's Model Y performance from i1Tesla to address the wheel issue. Here is what he dislike about the OEM 21" beside the heavy weight. "The wide wheel on the narrow tire"

For those who owned a Model 3 might know it is a common issue with 235 tire on 8.5J, slight stretched tire causing them to curb fairly easy (edge of the wheel is sticking further out than the tire) 255 tire on 9.5J = 235 tire on 8.5J

To get both weight down and add more sidewall protection, we will be building a set of 21" that is 0.5J narrower, square setup with staggered offset.

This setup will save approx. 41% unsprung weight comparing to stock 21".

More info coming soon.
91057562_2658667877577338_4787852515913760768_n.jpg