Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... that cannot be true. It clearly says "Car price", not "Balance owed". One thing though, I was incorrect in stating that this included the destination charges. Also remember you cannot have one price for the those who reserved on day one and a lower price for folks reserving now.

This is what I see in the details now:

Where are you seeing the details of your order that includes pricing? My summary only includes the total price with configuration information.

Does anyone have any insight from the past, perhaps when taking delivery of their Model 3 when it first came out on the following situation.
I pre ordered the Model Y LR AWD with 19” wheels in Black last spring and the total purchase price including delivery but before taxes is $73,000 Canadian. At that time, autopilot was an option that I did NOT choose to add on.

If one was to go and order the same configuration today, autopilot is standard and black colour is extra fee. The cost is now $75,690 which is almost $2700 higher in cost.

Question : Since autopilot is a standard feature now, do people think Tesla will honour my original purchase price of $73,000 and just delivery me a car WITH autopilot (which I did not purchase as an add-on last spring) ? Or will they disable the autopilot feature prior to my delivery ?

I don't think Autopilot comes as disabled for anyone these days. So you will get Autopilot. But most likely you will be asked to fork the newer higher price. And if that happens then $2700 Canadian is an amazing low price for Autopilot.

One would think Tesla will automatically update the current reservation holders with their new purchase price.

This goes back to Elon's complaining that customers always want to interpret price changes to thier benefit ONLY.

How about if the price went up? Would you enjoy Tesla AUTOMATICALLY updating your price upwards?

If not, then what they did is correct.

Moreover, there was a bump in model 3 prices recently, which was NOT matched in model Y pricing yet, so the current Y pricing is somewhat unfair to Tesla... they regulated excessive demand with that price bump and, definitely, there will be no lack of demand for Y, so that bump is coming...

Question : Since autopilot is a standard feature now, do people think Tesla will honour my original purchase price of $73,000 and just delivery me a car WITH autopilot (which I did not purchase as an add-on last spring) ? Or will they disable the autopilot feature prior to my delivery ?

I would not be too certain that you'll get AP for free if it was not in the contract.

Model 3s purchased without AP(when it was an option) did not get AP added retroactively for free. They still don't have it.

I'd say if they stick to the contract, which says you chose not to pay for it when you had a chance, they should not give it to you. Keep in mind the car price was reduced by AP amount as the result. So, if you want AP then it's $2k, which was later added to the car price.

What makes it more complicated is that the model 3 price went down and then up afterwards, so you can't easily identify the additional AP component in the car price anymore.

If I were you, I'd ask cusomer support, but not trust their answer 100%, because they may not know for sure.

If you want AP, maybe consider updating your order and switch to white color, so there's less extra money to pay?

Otherwise, you may also have an option to buy AP later on the upgrade tab of your Tesla app.

Last edited:
@M3Rider
I agree that I may not get autopilot and agree on not trusting Tesla advisors answers. When I bought my LR AWD 3 in Sept 2019 I was told I would get 2 yr free supercharging and 2 free upgrades. I chose free colour upgrade and declined wheel upgrade. It took 8 email exchanges and right up to the time of my delivery appointment to have the colour upgrade fee removed from my contract. The 2 yr free SC was not added in the contract but I was told not to worry. 2 months later I was told sorry we can’t give you free SC even though I have it on my emails from sales advisor. I have asked the same sales advisor about my LR AWD Y and whether I should just reconfigure my pre-order now and pay the extra cost before there are anymore price increases. I use autopilot 15% of the time and do find it useful. My sales advisor recommends just waiting it out and doesn’t know the answer to my situation.

@M3Rider . . . agree on not trusting Tesla advisers answers . . .

Tesla delivery is just as sleazy as other brand's car dealers except established brands will not lie in writing typically after being sued so many times. The delivery staff at Tesla have PTSD from so many end-of-the-quarter pushes and commission/pay changes. They live in fear of EM and his next tweet they have to decipher in a dumpster fire of direction from management.

• Disagree
Reactions: FalconNinetyD
The price decline is related to when Tesla made white standard like someone else said in this thread sometime in mid-2019. Tesla made some other adjustments at the time like the included Autopilot (if I recall correctly). Customers who changed their order at the time got the new pricing based on the changes. I am pretty sure that if you left the account unchanged Tesla would adjust your order/pricing closer to delivery.

Does anyone have any insight from the past, perhaps when taking delivery of their Model 3 when it first came out on the following situation.
I pre ordered the Model Y LR AWD with 19” wheels in Black last spring and the total purchase price including delivery but before taxes is $73,000 Canadian. At that time, autopilot was an option that I did NOT choose to add on.

If one was to go and order the same configuration today, autopilot is standard and black colour is extra fee. The cost is now $75,690 which is almost $2700 higher in cost.

Potential good news. Just an update to my own post, I logged into my Tesla account today and I now have BOTH the 20” wheels and Autopilot showing up in my vehicle details while still showing my ORIGINAL configuration price of $73,000 Canadian (spring 2019). My spring 2019 configuration was for 19” wheels and no autopilot for $73,000 Cdn.

Hmmm... that cannot be true. It clearly says "Car price", not "Balance owed". One thing though, I was incorrect in stating that this included the destination charges. Also remember you cannot have one price for the those who reserved on day one and a lower price for folks reserving now.

This is what I see in the details now:

View attachment 501916

Anyone get the RWD LR for a base price of $48,500? Maybe there was a price increase because my reservation is coming out to $57,500 and I can't figure out where that extra $500 unless there was an increase based on comparison to other reservations on this board.

I logged into my Tesla account and clicked "Edit Design" for my Model Y configuration, and the same configuration now costs $94,890 CDN compared to my initial configuration in Spring 2019 which is $87,600.

Am I interpreting this correctly? There is a price increase of $7,290 CDN for Model Y configuration if I were to follow-through with any changes?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.42.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.42.01 PM.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.42.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.42.21 PM.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 36
Anyone get the RWD LR for a base price of $48,500? Maybe there was a price increase because my reservation is coming out to $57,500 and I can't figure out where that extra $500 unless there was an increase based on comparison to other reservations on this board.
I have the same question with my order (same price). Did you initially order the 19" wheels? Perhaps they increased the price by $500 when they changed to 20" wheels?

I logged into my Tesla account and clicked "Edit Design" for my Model Y configuration, and the same configuration now costs $94,890 CDN compared to my initial configuration in Spring 2019 which is $87,600.

Am I interpreting this correctly? There is a price increase of $7,290 CDN for Model Y configuration if I were to follow-through with any changes?

In other words, it really does benefit to pre-order?! With a savings of over $7,290 CDN + tax compared to the price now.

• Disagree
Reactions: N.Y.R.