Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 MY "Price Adjustment" Math

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's the guy I am thinking of I'm not impressed. Watched parts of several videos and he just repeats the same thing over and over and doesn't really say anything. And he was definitely wrong on it being 2023s that were discounted....

Hope so. I'm waiting and told them so today. We scheduled a drive about a week ago with the intention to buy if the wife liked it (she had already driven a Model 3). Well, she liked it , but at $5k more than 48 hours before.....? No thank you Elon. I will wait.
I spoke to a sales advisor today and he said they have A LOT of Model Y’s in stock so I think it’s safe to assume supply will exceed demand at end of Q2.

Reactions: Royal27
Received a text from Tesla Cherry Hill, NJ after a demo and this was their reply: "Tesla has told us they do not plan changing the price anytime soon so keep this in mind as the registration cost increase and sales tax exemption phase out looms". Maybe I missed an opportunity last week but so be it.

Received a text from Tesla Cherry Hill, NJ after a demo and this was their reply: "Tesla has told us they do not plan changing the price anytime soon so keep this in mind as the registration cost increase and sales tax exemption phase out looms". Maybe I missed an opportunity last week but so be it.
Will see later in the quarter (or year). Marketing strategies frequently change.

I spoke to a sales advisor today and he said they have A LOT of Model Y’s in stock so I think it’s safe to assume supply will exceed demand at end of Q2.

Agree...

Just a matter of how stubborn Elon remains for how long. The wife really wants a Tesla and her driving habits are the poster child for electric so it makes sense for her, at the right price. But there are a lot of other options and an extra $5k really opens it up, especially if other companies continue to make deals.

So any guess what the strategy is here with removing the discounts when they have so much inventory? I know they will probably come back end of quarter but it’s only April and they still need to sell cars between now and end of June.
I'm wondering the same thing. Lots of changes going on atm.

Will be very interesting to see what they do in the coming months. Maybe instead of discounts they're going to do big rebates at end of quarter, so it technically is still the same advertised price (not discounted).

Or perhaps they will just hold firm after laying off 10% of the workers and maybe reduce production.

Last edited:
It’s just more of the same pricing games they play every quarter.

Raise prices early when they’re making a whole bunch of inventory for export and don’t really want to sell many cars in the US in any case.

Cause panic among US buyers wondering what the hell is going on.

Reduce prices like clockwork toward the end of the quarter to stimulate US sales and get all the people that were freaked out at the beginning of the quarter to bite out of FOMO.

This isn’t complicated, folks.

Reactions: E90alex
These are just indirect scare tactics to buy at current high prices. The same MYP this month is ~$8500 more than what I paid last month with price adjustments + the other Tesla incentives.

Come June prices will be back at heavy adjustments.

I though the current up-front tax exemption was good thru the end of the year (unless Tesla decides to opt out, which would be exceedingly stupid.)

Current price for a base MYLR is $47,990 -- exactly what's shown on my order summary from Feb. 2024. I guess the price back then benefited from the temporary February price drop.

Things are right back where they were before, except that I got a smallish $2,450 inventory discount.

I've been feeling a bit bummed about the higher discounts I've been reading about the last couple of weeks, but if the price was $2,000 higher, the net price wasn't much different after all.

Current price for a base MYLR is $47,990 -- exactly what's shown on my order summary from Feb. 2024. I guess the price back then benefited from the temporary February price drop.

Things are right back where they were before, except that I got a smallish $2,450 inventory discount.

I've been feeling a bit bummed about the higher discounts I've been reading about the last couple of weeks, but if the price was $2,000 higher, the net price wasn't much different after all.
The LR AWD gray/black was $44K with the inventory discounts in March.

Reactions: halfhumble
I hope they go back to the $5K discount on MYLR which I was going to buy. Also, here in NJ, they have a "new" MYLR with 50 miles on it at $1000 less than one with no miles. Any big difference between buying one with 50 miles on it, tax credit etc? I assume it is a demo vehicle.

Reactions: Royal27
I hope they go back to the $5K discount on MYLR which I was going to buy. Also, here in NJ, they have a "new" MYLR with 50 miles on it at $1000 less than one with no miles. Any big difference between buying one with 50 miles on it, tax credit etc? I assume it is a demo vehicle.

I'm definitely being patient here. Dropping price $2k less than a week after a $5k increase reeks of desperation to me. Drop back to where they were and I'm in. Anything below that is a bonus.