Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Price Increase (Mar 10)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the Model Y price increased by $1k for the long range AWD. Or another way of looking at it is there's been a sale price over the last 4 weeks to boost sales within the quarter.

Attachments

• MY.JPG
    MY.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 100
Not surprising that the price has increased given some of the vehicle updates made to the Model Y since last year including:
Laminated front windows
Heated steering wheel
Projector headlamps
5% larger capacity battery pack
I disagree, they reduced the price after all those upgrades, why lower it then? I think it really was about making the numbers work for the qtr.

Not surprising that the price has increased given some of the vehicle updates made to the Model Y since last year including:
Laminated front windows
Heated steering wheel
Projector headlamps
5% larger capacity battery pack

The 'battery increase' is strictly rumor.....
Perhaps @jcanoe means the software change that added range to the existing battery for 3 & Y.

Perhaps @jcanoe means the software change that added range to the existing battery for 3 & Y.
Yes, maybe jcanoe is referring to those software update you mention, but i think jacanoe is really talking about an increase in kwh of the battery itself.
This morning i googled about increased battery size in MY and could only find this 'rumor' report from Torque news:
but now i have dug a little further and see that Electrek reported in November that Model 3 got increased battery size: Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery pack in Model 3, thanks to new cells - Electrek
Some other post i stumbled on was from Torque News about made in china Model 3s delivered in germany recently have the larger 82kwh battery. Sorry, cant find it again, just now.

So, I'd be interested to see if anyone on this forum can provide a link to a reputable source that reports MY sold in US and Canada has definitly had an increase in battery size to 82 kwh.

I'm not sure how to interpret these results. In testing submitted to the EPA for the 2021 Long Range Model Y, Performance Model Y the battery charge to depletion test results were:

Long Range Model Y: 77.7kWh
Performance Model Y: 81.05kWh

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51237&flag=1
Thanks for posting that link. To be clear, are you saying that this somehow relates to the size of the battery for LR MY being produce now, as compared to LR MY sometime last year? As i understand it, this document doesnt address that question. This 49 page technical document reports only on testing for one long range MY and one Performance MY in September 2020. At any rate i did scan thru the 49 pages and couldnt find the page with the numbers you mentioned. Could you please provide page numbers so i can find your numbers?

The main numbers i found that relate to 'battery size' where that the weight and volume of the battery packs in the two cars were the same: 480kg and .400 cubic meters. page 17.

Thanks for posting that link. To be clear, are you saying that this somehow relates to the size of the battery for LR MY being produce now, as compared to LR MY sometime last year? As i understand it, this document doesnt address that question. This 49 page technical document reports only on testing for one long range MY and one Performance MY in September 2020. At any rate i did scan thru the 49 pages and couldnt find the page with the numbers you mentioned. Could you please provide page numbers so i can find your numbers?

The main numbers i found that relate to 'battery size' where that the weight and volume of the battery packs in the two cars were the same: 480kg and .400 cubic meters. page 17.
Starting about 18 pages in (sorry, the pages are not numbered sequentially starting with page 1) there are two pages that provide a summary of test results for the Long Range Model Y and the Performance Model Y. Just search for "charge to depletion".

The newer ~82kWh capacity battery pack versus the older ~78kWh capacity battery pack is already being used on the 2021 Model 3, 2021 Performance Model Y. It makes sense that eventually all Model 3 and Model Y battery packs in the US and Canada will include the newer battery pack design. I have no way of knowing how this is related to the cost of the cells but prices for nickel, cobalt and lithium are all rising.

I did not mean to create a controversy regarding the older and newer battery pack being used in the Model Y. The OP is about the $1,000 price increase. Some of the enhanced features of the 2021 Model Y must have added to the cost of manufacturing. The laminated front glass and the heated steering wheel are two prime examples.

The Model Y has been out for about one year. Although Tesla introduces updates and enhancements throughout the life of the vehicle Tesla may periodically update pricing when necessary. Typical automobile manufacture year-over-model-year price increases of ~$500 are not unusual. That's all I am trying to point out.

Last edited:
Tesla adjust prices all the time. This could be supplier cost increases, trying to hit a revenue target for the quarter, higher demand than expected, etc.
Well, the demand thing isn't really a cause to change it, as anyone who ordered before the $1k price drop (like me) got the decrease, and anyone who ordered while the price was lower would still get to keep that lower price (if past history is consistent). So, they really aren't hitting anyone except folks that order from here on.