Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Prices starting January 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are still waiting to order in 2023, what are your thoughts as far as prices of MY?

I know amount of tax credit MY quality will be key but assuming $7,500 is available for MY. Would current sticker price go up, down or stay same?

Up until recently I was looking to order in 2023 (to capture tax credit). But recent news of China and economic news, not so sure about making huge investment. My current car works just fine, of course MY would be an upgrade over RAV4.

I'm assuming you are planning to get a MYLR, as MYP will have a very fast turnaround time as some local dealers have it in the existing inventory. So if you place now, you may end up getting within next few weeks. If you order MYLR, then like @exxxviii mentioned treat it as hedge investment. I'm in the same boat. Doing more research to see if 19 vs 20" make sense for the wife or the MYP...

Doing more research to see if 19 vs 20" make sense for the wife or the MYP...
I HIGHLY recommend the 20".

I got the 19", and I thought it is what I wanted for that extra 12 miles of range and possible softer ride. I really wish I had the 20". They look so much better. I am now actively shopping for the best looking wheel covers for my 19" Gemini wheels. And, I could see buying a set of Induction take-offs at some point down the road, when I need new tires.

You could treat it like a hedge investment... Place your order now. It will cost you $250 for the hedge. Then in early 2023, assess MY pricing and decide whether to cancel your original order and make a later reorder or stick with the original.
Good call for anyone who is committed to buy.

Something seems off, Tesla stock is going down like crazy with recent news. Per Troy Teslike, there is almost no backlog (which was as high as 9 months this summer). I am going to let this play out early 2023 and see what happens.

I got the 19", and I thought it is what I wanted for that extra 12 miles of range and possible softer ride. I really wish I had the 20". They look so much better. I am now actively shopping for the best looking wheel covers for my 19" Gemini wheels. And, I could see buying a set of Induction take-offs at some point down the road, when I need new tires.
Thank you for the replied, this makes me lean toward 20". Now the other question is do you ever regard not getting MYP since it's only $4k more ($2k if 20" wheels are selected), but the range kinda put us off, as it's probably 30 miles, then we live in the midwest so winter is another thing... But you get the better brakes, boost, spoiler, matrix headlights, and lower springs, dislike the 21" wheels that come with it as that would required me to purchase 19 or 20" wheels for the winter as 21" are hard to find for all seasons tires and more expensive. I didn't mind driving the MYP as that was one of the car we test drive, wanted to test drive MYLR to see what the difference is with smaller tires and slower car.

I love my Laminars from Rimetrix. So much better looking than the stock cover. IMG_2230.JPG

Reactions: cusetownusa
Thank you for the replied, this makes me lean toward 20". Now the other question is do you ever regard not getting MYP since it's only $4k more ($2k if 20" wheels are selected), but the range kinda put us off, as it's probably 30 miles, then we live in the midwest so winter is another thing... But you get the better brakes, boost, spoiler, matrix headlights, and lower springs, dislike the 21" wheels that come with it as that would required me to purchase 19 or 20" wheels for the winter as 21" are hard to find for all seasons tires and more expensive. I didn't mind driving the MYP as that was one of the car we test drive, wanted to test drive MYLR to see what the difference is with smaller tires and slower car.
Nope, I had no interest in the MYP. I was already a little worried about the harder ride of the Model Y in general, and I did not want to add the MYP's stiffer suspension, larger wheels, summer tires, and inconvenience of offset wheels to the car. Plus, when you add the $2K Acceleration Boost option to the MYLR, it gets pretty close acceleration to the MYP.

Funny thing... The Internet has lots of people selling their used MYP wheels. But almost nobody is selling the 20" Induction wheels. And I have read a number of posts here of people wanting to downgrade their 21" wheels.

Wow, that looks really good. Hmm. I guess I'm back to 19" MYLR and pay for $300 for this hub wheel cover. Are these high quality where it won't break if we removed the hub wheel cover when changing the tires?
I have not had any issues, but only had to remove one of them for a flat tire issue. It was a little stiff, but had no issue removing it. The center cap is a bit tough, but so far so good. Good luck man, you will love the car either way you go.

Funny thing... The Internet has lots of people selling their used MYP wheels. But almost nobody is selling the 20" Induction wheels. And I have read a number of posts here of people wanting to downgrade their 21" wheels.
I think this makes sense. The 20” inductions have to be actively added to the config so buyers are consciously opting for those rims. They wouldn’t want to sell the rims after paying $2k for them. For the MYP, the 21” Uberturbines are included in the package whether you want them or not. Most want the faster acceleration of the MYP and the 21” rims actually slow down the car.

Reactions: exxxviii
For those who are still waiting to order in 2023, what are your thoughts as far as prices of MY?

I know amount of tax credit MY quality will be key but assuming $7,500 is available for MY. Would current sticker price go up, down or stay same?

Up until recently I was looking to order in 2023 (to capture tax credit). But recent news of China and economic news, not so sure about making huge investment. My current car works just fine, of course MY would be an upgrade over RAV4.
Unless they lower the price you are out of luck. For Inflation reduction act SUV is maxed at 65000. Just checked, cheapest model Y is 65990. Same with the model 3. Standard range + is under 55000 which is for sedans

I love my Inductions but warning: they are extremely easy to curb. In fact my wife seems to curb one a couple of times a month and I’m touching them up with paint. Very high maintenance.

If I were to do it again I’d seriously consider going with the 19s, removing the covers, and plasti-dipping the wheels to make them matte black.

Prices won’t change at all until Tesla sees what the tax credit and economy do to demand.

MY is already significantly overpriced for the current market, so no way price goes up.

Government doing the discounting lets them keep prices where they are best case. If things get worse economically they will probably need to reduce prices further but aren’t gonna do that until the end of a quarter when it looks like they’re gonna need to drum up some demand.

Reactions: acpd and Yelobird
Prices won’t change at all until Tesla sees what the tax credit and economy do to demand.

MY is already significantly overpriced for the current market, so no way price goes up.

Government doing the discounting lets them keep prices where they are best case. If things get worse economically they will probably need to reduce prices further but aren’t gonna do that until the end of a quarter when it looks like they’re gonna need to drum up some demand.
I agree. Demand has taken nose dive. Current economic conditions and MY price has lot to with that. With Tax, MY is over $70k. That is insane.

Elon was making money at $51K MSRP so I expect prices will head down soon?
It's all about supply and demand. Up until coupele of months ago Tesla had high demand, so they kept raising prices to see where the backing point was.

European MY Is ~$6k less than US. That is because we in US are willing to pay.

Now globally their demand is going down(mostly due to economic conditions), so price have to adjust. The only wild card is Tax Credit, Tesla will see how the demand is in January and adjust the price accordingly. If I were to guess, prices remain same if demand is high and they go down if demand is soft. Don't see any chance of raising prices.

I love my Inductions but warning: they are extremely easy to curb. In fact my wife seems to curb one a couple of times a month and I’m touching them up with paint. Very high maintenance.

If I were to do it again I’d seriously consider going with the 19s, removing the covers, and plasti-dipping the wheels to make them matte black.
The 20's are no easier to curb than the 19s.

The way I know this is I switched my 20" induction wheels to a set of 19" gemini wheels and had the wheels in profile right next to each other. The inductions do not stick out any further than the geminis. With the geminis you can put covers on them which will get messed up before the wheel gets curbed and they are relatively inexpensive.

I ended up getting a set of powder coated gemini wheels from a seller in Los Angeles for my winter setup and am pretty happy with that as an option.

And yes, this is all getting rather OT.