Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear bench creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
having had ~10 visits by rangers and to SC regarding squeeks and rattles, the only thing I can tell you is:

good-luck-with-that-batman.gif

you can try to:
wrap that latch as in the post above with electric tape - this might sort it.
you can try felt pads / felt tape at touching points.

or you can use rags at the potential areas in order to try to eliminate it. you might even have some elegant solution as I did:

UAVlBaM5jq10SUHY2ZtGAr3HamIsKWL-JPVx6qgIqNoiZDsaMDiLiooLA67OMgyodmwMrpdtprNrsRMYEja5Ax-aYVlDHGpMF_jF2Dks3W5Sv2i_YwdRP1bmnwsoBZdPts8KaSLt2AP6c7kksFKhgZbpo_XmEtnobSPkdNdubFF_NYXFBEH6CztvGgytfMnutBuPdOokzTnJr19Ljuy2wY3lLMbfOaWxN7zN8Q3tuCZdrw37_QRkTdn5weoUrneFEXurdV57S0O6NaLTq3gshzzYaL4tQFTHeYyjovjTMQ-v2tXRMh8t5nvbPiB7JYYTzIi60HPmPV2_vDLvoXeFOmRm2_Me4LeWQsSmOddXxXyR-Oqh0RX4gan13ZXwgcqes-FvIk6-YXWiVH871nJ_SAZyk_cTzkZ1YtKHwP37LLThfqPdVUTBkcZU_G6dwQT0ruMiNDEf-1wUaCY--etky3rb92B7mEZCTLP86wl1TaZe5kA-QHjrC4Ple8JLuYUipp2k0FMA-5Wec23LikMh3D3Y-Rddxde7-w4FugBvO4aZxNgIO5WHbg7k09tq2nmmOfXHkdAH4FSiYVw9aZhDM1F5rqqugPBBoJ_JIWYOPILfHYA4HLFb2Bb8BB7sD4r5KdDc2s_mAc4CNPwySKH7oH5eC3cZa75oBR-StszY4EMVS89rHoZs0-0_fIG_8qknpp5n6uIgTzJ5d-VjMUibOuSTsj6beL-6JagkRS_O1AA3t_sTfWKIOoPYeQXjU8CO8RR0kGSHamR4nxNsUXRX2qqGcRjNKJnA3kuBMo6w_kpYy7TGJouGFvS_QgYOd32Tx_PLHpKuDZrXyBO4FO7KPKQg52OIK_KPdO27txNo5O1WoQQSqR8WuNtzWXQGw7XkwRP_ILS-RXHhh7_qj-lzHlWyRcXqlJQ6YeIm2VMgSQS4AilLIXiNiPdGwT7EUto9QOQRyxq2WmF6bvvv_75J=w727-h969-s-no

50k+ car I mind you :D

I took mine in for a service. They seemed to have fixed the issue at the back, but after a while of travelling on the rough terrains that are London streets, the creaking has come back again! I don't know what they did to temporarily fix the creak in the back back (the creaking that happens when turning into a bump at an angle, where the car is twisting like @jonahjones mentions above), but it's certainly come back again.
they most likely used some lubricant.
I've got small creaks and rattles throughout the whole car now and it's really peeving me off.

The other creaks/rattles are coming from the various places, mostly door panels and the plastic lining around the roof (the ones with lighter shade material). Short of doing it myself (which i have no clue how to do so will have to invest time and effort), I don't know what else to do. Is there a service that can basically tape everything together properly?
there is flex in the seat at 60/40 fold. it causes "leather" between those part to touch and rub each other. this is what causes the rattle/squeak in some cases.
in other cases- there is plastic "sleve" on the folding seat hinge (because "O" ring which holds it is large diameter than the fold hinge/bolt which holds seats at the bottom ("Tesla - what tolerances?"). it slips out and you can get some clanking noise as well.
you can use the "wedge" at the bottom of the seat, from the boot side, to keep it steady...

jesus, what I haven't tried...

Shames me to be thinking of that in a 55K car... I love it to pieces otherwise.
don't even start...
one forum user told me "just increase music volume" ...

at some point I was thinking to spray it whole with an expanding foam...

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I’ve tried everything and have finally cracked the case. In my case, the rattle was the rubber seals moving against each other. I adjusted the bump stops but never cured it. Instead of using a silicone spray, use this from Halfords. Spray onto a cloth and rub all over the rubber seals all over the car (not just the boot). A month later still no rattles :)

Reactions: duncans and Danno_
I seem to have 2 issues with creaking....
First from the back bench and the only fix I have come up with so far is to adjust the back bench seats so that are not in the reclined position but the back are more upright (fortunately very rarely have anybody in the back of my car)

Intermittently the door seals, specifically I think its the rubber against the windows (???) creak. Anybody else tot this and an easy fix?

I generally have music playing, so that's a workaround but on the odd occasion I don't or have somebody else in the car...its bloody annoying!! Never had thees issues with my M3.... bloody Shanghai gigfactory.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I seem to have 2 issues with creaking....
First from the back bench and the only fix I have come up with so far is to adjust the back bench seats so that are not in the reclined position but the back are more upright (fortunately very rarely have anybody in the back of my car)

Intermittently the door seals, specifically I think its the rubber against the windows (???) creak. Anybody else tot this and an easy fix?

I generally have music playing, so that's a workaround but on the odd occasion I don't or have somebody else in the car...its bloody annoying!! Never had thees issues with my M3.... bloody Shanghai gigfactory.

I had the same issue, and concur with @Jason71. I used this one as posted here Model Y rear bench creaking

Most of the constant creaking how now gone! (still get the odd small/minor rattles on certain surfaces from other parts of the car but they're few and far between, it was the creaking that was really doing my nut in so i'm glad it's mostly resolved).

Reactions: pgh69
I had the same issue, and concur with @Jason71. I used this one as posted here Model Y rear bench creaking

Most of the constant creaking how now gone! (still get the odd small/minor rattles on certain surfaces from other parts of the car but they're few and far between, it was the creaking that was really doing my nut in so i'm glad it's mostly resolved).
I happen to have a bottle of this Autoglym in the garage so I’m going to give this a go too. I’ve sorted some of the squeaks/rattles but there is definitely some creaking going on. 4 hour journey to North Wales last week was a real world test of my sanity.

Reactions: QuanTim and pgh69
So I spent half an hour last night using the Autoglym on all of the boot and door seals. Coating both the seal and the corresponding plastic it seals against.
Bugger me if the car wasn’t whisper quiet this morning on my commute!

Autoglym Vinyl And Rubber Care, 500ml - Fresh Lemon Scented Interior Car Cleaner Spray Designed To Protect Your Dashboard and Other Interior Plastics https://amzn.eu/d/62OeRef

95% cured, with only huge unusual body motions getting a slight creak out of the boot.

This clearly shows it’s the seals making the noises in my instance.

It’ll be interesting to see how long the treatment lasts. But given the cost, I’ll happily include this in a regular cleaning regime.

NB I’d already tried Gummie Phlefge on the boot to no avail.

Reactions: QuanTim
It’s laughably simple. I’ve spent far too long looking for a solution and had the rear seat up, front seat apart, lay in the boot pushing a prodding!
Fingers crossed it lasts.
I had the same reaction! I even had the Tesla service guys look at the car for a whole day!

I almost couldn’t believe the creaking was because of the darn seals! And yeah like you, I’ll just include in regular clean. It brought the pleasure of driving back for me.

I had the same reaction! I even had the Tesla service guys look at the car for a whole day!

I almost couldn’t believe the creaking was because of the darn seals! And yeah like you, I’ll just include in regular clean. It brought the pleasure of driving back for me.
I even had a shock absorber replaced but I think that was needed because it sounded like someone jumping up and down on a pogo stick when I was on bumpy roads.

Had my Y a grand total of 1 day. Already have a rattle behind me to the left somewhere (ish). Tempted to force all passengers to sit in the back until we can accurately locate it
Rear seat belts and front passenger seat belts are a source of noise. Plug them in if not in use and see if that makes a difference. Rear head rests can also rattle. I would then move on to check boot lid bump stops and rubbers as mentioned by others above...

Reactions: Mrklaw
I've just found this thread after another full hour of researching creaks, rattles and the like on my MYLR. How nice to see a familiar name @QuanTim !

I had tried Gummi Pflege on all the door seals but no luck, in fact the rattles came back with a vengeance. I will order some AutoGlym if that's worked for you guys and see if that fixes the issues for me.

@yessuz I'm also having the issue where the leather from the seats is rubbing together on any sort of road surface really - but it's particularly annoying on super smooth roads and I can still hear squeaking/rattling! What's the fix for this, any ideas? I think it's at the 60/40 split.