Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended (Not Mine)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brake lights DO come on during regenerative braking.
Not always, especially when almost stopped the lights often go off. I have watched many 3's with no brake lights on while coming to a slow stop and/or stopped. Guessing they don't have creep on and their foot is just on the gas peddle waiting to get going. Could likely be easily fixed with a software update.

People have to be paying attention to notice brake lights, no matter how large or bright. The Model 3/Y also have the third brake light in rear glass...so I don't think Tesla's implementation raises the chances of a rear-end collision.

To add, rear-end collisions are the most common type of accident in the US (29%). I'd say that distracted driving and a lack of standard collision avoidance is the biggest factor at play here.
I agree, distracted driving is the major cause; however, when driving take note of the most other vehicles much larger brake lights and the tiny model 3's/y's. I'd personally choose to have more light and feel it would have a benefit, especially during the day. I'm currently in bright/super hot AZ and noticed this concern today -- before seeing this post. Tesla easily could have added one more row of tiny LEDs (or even better 2). But oh well, probably was a cost-saving decision.

And yes, the third brake light is there. Not talking about that one. If you had the choice of a model s/y with the current set up or 1/2 additional rows (which would likely easily fit in the current housing) -- which would you choose?

I agree, distracted driving is the major cause; however, when driving take note of the most other vehicles much larger brake lights and the tiny model 3's/y's. I'd personally choose to have more light and feel it would have a benefit, especially during the day. I'm currently in bright/super hot AZ and noticed this concern today -- before seeing this post. Tesla easily could have added one more row of tiny LEDs (or even better 2). But oh well, probably was a cost-saving decision.

And yes, the third brake light is there. Not talking about that one. If you had the choice of a model s/y with the current set up or 1/2 additional rows (which would likely easily fit in the current housing) -- which would you choose?

I suppose it would be difficult to turn down more brake light, but I don't feel the 3/Y is inadequate. The only car I've ever been rear ended in while driving was a Nissan LEAF, and it did not lack for brake light real estate.

I still want a 7-passenger Model Y. I just need to clean up my current financial situation...

When I have passengers in my 7-passenger Model S, I am very careful. If someone tries to come too close, I pull off to the side and let them go by. I also avoid travelling during rush hour. Finally, I keep my speed down to a reasonable level.

Brent

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I still want a 7-passenger Model Y. I just need to clean up my current financial situation...

When I have passengers in my 7-passenger Model S, I am very careful. If someone tries to come too close, I pull off to the side and let them go by. I also avoid travelling during rush hour. Finally, I keep my speed down to a reasonable level.

Brent
I'm thinking maybe the cybertruck with 6 seats is the way to go (at least for me).

I'm thinking maybe the cybertruck with 6 seats is the way to go (at least for me).

From what I understand, you have to be 13 years old to sit in the front seat, its an airbag thing, but I assume that varies from state to state and 13 years old is just a general guideline, and their weight/size should also come into play too.

So wouldn't all under 13 (or the age in your state) have to sit in the back seats? So that is only 3 seats for kids in a CT versus up to 5 in the 7 seater MY or MX? Just making sure you and others thought of that, one reason why the MY or MX may be the better choice over a CT...

From what I understand, you have to be 13 years old to sit in the front seat, its an airbag thing, but I assume that varies from state to state and 13 years old is just a general guideline, and their weight/size should also come into play too.

So wouldn't all under 13 (or the age in your state) have to sit in the back seats? So that is only 3 seats for kids in a CT versus up to 5 in the 7 seater MY or MX? Just making sure you and others thought of that, one reason why the MY or MX may be the better choice over a CT...
Ya. I almost bought the rear seats for my Model S to install.

After seeing rear-end crashes of the Model S and the crumple zone where the extra seats are (cars with the bumper support) - and this picture of the model y -- my kids aren't going anyways in those extra rear seats. High suv/truck + accident = crumbling of the crumble zone.

So to me, the model y is really only 5 seater and the CT is a 6. That's my thinking. Either way, with car seats -- I may be wrong -- but I am guessing that three won't fit in the model Y/CT 1st row since the middle seat is slim. If we have twins next (already have 1) -- then a minivan it will be. Maybe Tesla will have one out by then ;).

I don't like the model X and the rear doors. So it was out from the beginning.

Ya. I almost bought the rear seats for my Model S to install.

After seeing rear-end crashes of the Model S and the crumple zone where the extra seats are (cars with the bumper support) - and this picture of the model y -- my kids aren't going anyways in those extra rear seats. High suv/truck + accident = crumbling of the crumble zone.

So to me, the model y is really only 5 seater and the CT is a 6. That's my thinking. Either way, with car seats -- I may be wrong -- but I am guessing that three won't fit in the model Y/CT 1st row since the middle seat is slim. If we have twins next (already have 1) -- then a minivan it will be. Maybe Tesla will have one out by then ;).

I don't like the model X and the rear doors. So it was out from the beginning.

Had Model S85 seven seater. The car was specially factory reinforced.

I was rear ended by an SUV and it had its face smashed in while I had a couple of scratches on my bumper. There was no crumple zone.

People have to be paying attention to notice brake lights, no matter how large or bright. The Model 3/Y also have the third brake light in rear glass...so I don't think Tesla's implementation raises the chances of a rear-end collision.

To add, rear-end collisions are the most common type of accident in the US (29%). I'd say that distracted driving and a lack of standard collision avoidance is the biggest factor at play here.

I was implying that the pictures posted are during bright sunny days, which would potentially obscure even the LED brake lights behind the raked rear windows. Big bright brake lights, you must admit would help even distracted drivers. That's all I'm saying.

Here are some other rear-end photos I found online:

107555048_10218229021500534_4843342561231801057_n.jpg

HOLY FUDGE!!! Not only is it an AZ car, but its also the same color as mine. My heart skipped a beat there for a second!

I was implying that the pictures posted are during bright sunny days, which would potentially obscure even the LED brake lights behind the raked rear windows. Big bright brake lights, you must admit would help even distracted drivers. That's all I'm saying.

I get your point, but I have had plenty of opportunities to drive directly behind Model 3s in both city and highway driving and never, not once, have I had difficulty seeing the brake lights and knowing they are slowing down. And this is driving around the very sunny Deep South. Of course, I don’t tailgate, ever. Roughly 99% of all rear end accidents are caused either by following too closely or distracted driving. That’s a PDOOMA stat but I’ll bet dollars to donuts it’s pretty accurate. IMO nothing wrong with Model 3 brake lights, but there’s a lot wrong with way too many drivers.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I’ve noticed the Model 3 brake lights are more concentrated, yet have a similar overall brightness as any other car’s. That said, I’m not a fan of the trend, and Tesla isn’t the only manufacturer doing this. There is another brand of CUV with pinpoint brake lights. They are retina-searing at night vs a more diffused brake light.

Reactions: MP3Mike