Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear seat rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yfanal

Feb 20, 2022
China
Hello everyone, I have been troubled by the rattles of the rear seat for a long time. Whenever passing through bumpy roads, there is always a small, cluttered noise from the right rear of the vehicle (passenger side), as if this 3 months old model Y is an old car that has been driving for more than ten years, which is very annoying. I spent several weeks driving more than 200 kilometers on private roads, constantly testing, looking for the source of the noise, and finally suspected that the three plastic blocks on the top of the rear seat were vibrating and causing the noise, but today I used a screwdriver against the plastic block to stop it vibrating however didn't seem to fix the problem, and I'm frustrated. I recorded a video, does anyone have a similar situation? Please help me, this noise is driving me crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_8199.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 837
I thought the rattles/squeaks were coming from my rear seats and found it was coming from the headliner above the seats became loose and was sagging. Pushed it in back and got it to snap back in place and haven’t heard since. Felt like a detective the last couple of months trying to figure out where it was coming from.

• Informative
Reactions: e645824
Had the same problem. There is a TSP to install clips that add a slight gap between the rear seats. Apparently some seats were "overfilled". Tesla shop in Savannah took FOUR HOURS to locate to clips and install them. The absolute worst place to go.

i am having very similar rattle noise to yours, been back to tesla 6 times , they replaced the seat belt tensioner, and entire rear driver seat...the rattle is still there

i tried dynamiting the sub area, along with the upper hatch.....shoved some paper towel in between the lower seat covers (black rings) and still unresolved

getting extremely frustrated

really dont know what it is, driving me nuts

Had the same problem. There is a TSP to install clips that add a slight gap between the rear seats. Apparently some seats were "overfilled". Tesla shop in Savannah took FOUR HOURS to locate to clips and install them. The absolute worst place to go.
Where does one get these clips to install for squeaky rear seats? Right now I’m stuffing microfiber cloth between seats. Seems to be helping.

Maybe you're hearing rattling from the rear seatbelts bumping up against the side plastic? If so.... check out this thread, discussing a 3D-printed seatbelt guide (including posts from the creator, with link to their etsy store) - 3D-printed rear seat shoulder belt guides, great $20 mod | Tesla Motors Club

In case you want to jump straight to the creator's post, with link to store: 3D-printed rear seat shoulder belt guides, great $20 mod | Page 2 | Tesla Motors Club

I just installed the seatbelt guides a few days ago. They shift the belt to align with the seat and remove all plastic-contact rattling.

Hello everyone, I have been troubled by the rattles of the rear seat for a long time. Whenever passing through bumpy roads, there is always a small, cluttered noise from the right rear of the vehicle (passenger side), as if this 3 months old model Y is an old car that has been driving for more than ten years, which is very annoying. I spent several weeks driving more than 200 kilometers on private roads, constantly testing, looking for the source of the noise, and finally suspected that the three plastic blocks on the top of the rear seat were vibrating and causing the noise, but today I used a screwdriver against the plastic block to stop it vibrating however didn't seem to fix the problem, and I'm frustrated. I recorded a video, does anyone have a similar situation? Please help me, this noise is driving me crazy.
Hi same with me, had this rattle in my car when going down local roads and over bumps. The car seemed fine on the motorway. Anyway I’ve managed to fix it now and it was very simple.
Put your rear seat belts into the fixing as though there is a passenger there. Also lift your 2 rear head rests up very slightly. Now drive your car and hopefully you will find the rattles disappear. Let me know if it works. By process of elimination it will be one of these causing your issue

Reactions: Ts91
If it's a squeaking type of noise, mine was caused by the two back seats rubbing against each other. I "fixed" that by setting the recline of the two back seats at different levels.
I have exactly same issue, when I fold the middle seat down, there is no noise but when all three seats are up, they rub and make noise. I am going to do what you suggested but they recline only a little and my family likes them reclined all the time.

I wonder if Tesla fixed this issue for anyone? What was the fix from them?