Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Spoiler, Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a rear spoiler for my 2021 Model Y. Unfortunately already have a couple paint chips from exposed area so looking at the spoiler to cover as well as prevent happening again. I'm looking for recommendation on best spoiler (basic matte or matching gloss black to car). In my research, I noticed there are wide range of prices but they all seem to be applied the same or similar as far as I can tell. My major concern is the spoiler delaminating or eventually starting to come off and I don't want to overspend on something that will not last. Appreciate any input.
Thanks, Brian

Sadly, that ship has sailed.

I need a video to show how to re-install a spoiler after it failed to hold first time.
This should include advice on the adhesive to use. If you run across one please let me know.😀.
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove the tape carefully. And those 3M red tapes they sell in home depot will hold up well enough. When we design spoiler, we usually leave 0.8mm on the spoiler to install tape, so use the tape that has around 0.8mm thickness shall work(not exactly sure about other vendors' spoiler, it shall be similar.)

Upvote 0
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove the tape carefully. And those 3M red tapes they sell in home depot will hold up well enough. When we design spoiler, we usually leave 0.8mm on the spoiler to install tape, so use the tape that has around 0.8mm thickness shall work(not exactly sure about other vendors' spoiler, it shall be similar.)
Thank you v. much. My spoiler is a Tasmanian which, with shipping, set me back $200 plus import duty on top.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did extensive research into the matter of foam tapes for mounting spoilers a couple of years back. Here I impart my wisdom willingly, without reservation.

3M is the standard for mounting tapes. There are other manufacturers of mounting tapes, but 3M is the most popular, with the most available information and supply. Therefore, I only looked into 3M tapes. There may be other tapes that work just as well or better, but I didn’t look into those.

There are essentially two different classes of 3M mounting tapes suitable for automotive use: Acrylic Foam and Acrylic Plus. Both have a foam core with two adhesive sides: the liner side is designed to adhere to clearcoat paint and the non-liner side to LSE/MSE surfaces. LSE/MSE means Low/Mid Surface Energy, which are just classes of materials such as plastics and various composites that are difficult to adhere to. Here’s an explanation:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding...ence-of-adhesion/categorizing-surface-energy/

This use of differentiated adhesive sides and stability characteristics of the foam core is what determines which tape is best for a given mounting purpose. Here’s a brochure of 3M automotive tapes:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1512486O/attachment-brochure-final-pdf.pdf

In general, we want to use Acrylic Plus tape because of a more stable foam core that does not stretch as much under equivalent pulling-away load, and the adhesive is more aggressive. There are two product series of Acrylic Plus tapes: EX4000 and PT1000. The datasheet below for EX4000 shows that while PT1000 offers slightly superior absolute hold strength, EX4000 has much faster adhesion times when used on LSE paint surfaces - such as those treated with a hydrophobic coating:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...sensitive-acrylic-plus-tape-series-ex4000.pdf

So it may take PT1000 series up to 10 days to reach full bond strength on LSE paint surfaces while EX4000 series fully bonds within 20 minutes. Clearly, we would like to use EX4000 series if given the choice, but PT1000 series is also a good choice if the car has non-treated conventional clear coat. These tapes come in three thicknesses, you can find these part numbers on eBay being sold in large rolls of various widths. Buy the width that fits your project:

0.76mm (0.8mm) - EX4008
1.14mm (1.2mm) - EX4011, PT1100
1.52mm (1.5mm) - EX4015, PT1500

In terms of thickness, the general guideline is that there must be about 0.5mm compressibility of the foam since the adhesive is pressure activated. Most trim parts have a small lip that is intended to hide the mounting foam and make the part as flush as possible. Remember, the tape has a foam core and will compress when pressed down. It’s important that the foam is taller than this lip by about 0.5mm. Without this clearance, it may be impossible to exert the pressure necessary for a full adhesive bond. So if the lip is 0.6mm tall, choose the 1.2mm tall tape. If the lip is 1mm tall, choose the 1.5mm tape. The 0.8mm tall tape is only good for mounting emblems, lettering, or any other trim piece that has little or no lip at all. Using the 0.8mm tape on a part with a 0.6mm lip will result in a partial bond because there won’t be enough pressure.

3M also sells Acrylic Plus tapes in blister packs under the following part numbers

1.2mm:
06382 (½ Inch x 20yd)
06383 (⅞ Inch x 20yd)
06384 (½ Inch x 5yd)
06386 (¼ Inch x 20yd)

1.5mm:
06397 (½ Inch x 10yd)
06395 (⅞ Inch x 20yd)

It is unclear whether these tapes are the EX4000 or PT1000 series and I didn’t look too deep, since the rolls are available on eBay with specific part numbers. Regardless, if you have access to these, they should be good to use, just treat them like PT1000 tapes and be mindful if the paint surface is hydrophobic or not.

Last thing: you must use a bonding promoter with the EX4000 and PT1000 tapes for the non-liner side that goes onto the trim piece. 3M sells the bonding promoter as part number 06396. You can find eBay sellers selling these either in 25-count boxes or as multiples of individual packs. Each packet will treat 150sq inches so you don’t need a lot of packs. One pack would certainly be enough for a spoiler. Remember, this is applied to the trim piece such as spoilers or body cladding, *NOT* the car paint. You brush the promoter onto the surface of the trim piece where the tape will be mounted, and let it dry, then mount the 3M tape.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Upvote 0
I did extensive research into the matter of foam tapes for mounting spoilers a couple of years back. Here I impart my wisdom willingly, without reservation.

3M is the standard for mounting tapes. There are other manufacturers of mounting tapes, but 3M is the most popular, with the most available information and supply. Therefore, I only looked into 3M tapes. There may be other tapes that work just as well or better, but I didn’t look into those.

There are essentially two different classes of 3M mounting tapes suitable for automotive use: Acrylic Foam and Acrylic Plus. Both have a foam core with two adhesive sides: the liner side is designed to adhere to clearcoat paint and the non-liner side to LSE/MSE surfaces. LSE/MSE means Low/Mid Surface Energy, which are just classes of materials such as plastics and various composites that are difficult to adhere to. Here’s an explanation:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding...ence-of-adhesion/categorizing-surface-energy/

This use of differentiated adhesive sides and stability characteristics of the foam core is what determines which tape is best for a given mounting purpose. Here’s a brochure of 3M automotive tapes:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1512486O/attachment-brochure-final-pdf.pdf

In general, we want to use Acrylic Plus tape because of a more stable foam core that does not stretch as much under equivalent pulling-away load, and the adhesive is more aggressive. There are two product series of Acrylic Plus tapes: EX4000 and PT1000. The datasheet below for EX4000 shows that while PT1000 offers slightly superior absolute hold strength, EX4000 has much faster adhesion times when used on LSE paint surfaces - such as those treated with a hydrophobic coating:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...sensitive-acrylic-plus-tape-series-ex4000.pdf

So it may take PT1000 series up to 10 days to reach full bond strength on LSE paint surfaces while EX4000 series fully bonds within 20 minutes. Clearly, we would like to use EX4000 series if given the choice, but PT1000 series is also a good choice if the car has non-treated conventional clear coat. These tapes come in three thicknesses, you can find these part numbers on eBay being sold in large rolls of various widths. Buy the width that fits your project:

0.76mm (0.8mm) - EX4008
1.14mm (1.2mm) - EX4011, PT1100
1.52mm (1.5mm) - EX4015, PT1500

In terms of thickness, the general guideline is that there must be about 0.5mm compressibility of the foam since the adhesive is pressure activated. Most trim parts have a small lip that is intended to hide the mounting foam and make the part as flush as possible. Remember, the tape has a foam core and will compress when pressed down. It’s important that the foam is taller than this lip by about 0.5mm. Without this clearance, it may be impossible to exert the pressure necessary for a full adhesive bond. So if the lip is 0.6mm tall, choose the 1.2mm tall tape. If the lip is 1mm tall, choose the 1.5mm tape. The 0.8mm tall tape is only good for mounting emblems, lettering, or any other trim piece that has little or no lip at all. Using the 0.8mm tape on a part with a 0.6mm lip will result in a partial bond because there won’t be enough pressure.

3M also sells Acrylic Plus tapes in blister packs under the following part numbers

1.2mm:
06382 (½ Inch x 20yd)
06383 (⅞ Inch x 20yd)
06384 (½ Inch x 5yd)
06386 (¼ Inch x 20yd)

1.5mm:
06397 (½ Inch x 10yd)
06395 (⅞ Inch x 20yd)

It is unclear whether these tapes are the EX4000 or PT1000 series and I didn’t look too deep, since the rolls are available on eBay with specific part numbers. Regardless, if you have access to these, they should be good to use, just treat them like PT1000 tapes and be mindful if the paint surface is hydrophobic or not.

Last thing: you must use a bonding promoter with the EX4000 and PT1000 tapes for the non-liner side that goes onto the trim piece. 3M sells the bonding promoter as part number 06396. You can find eBay sellers selling these either in 25-count boxes or as multiples of individual packs. Each packet will treat 150sq inches so you don’t need a lot of packs. One pack would certainly be enough for a spoiler. Remember, this is applied to the trim piece such as spoilers or body cladding, *NOT* the car paint. You brush the promoter onto the surface of the trim piece where the tape will be mounted, and let it dry, then mount the 3M tape.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Excellent! Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
Because this is very similar to our old version, and as well the OEM version.
In the past, most of the spoilers on the market, including ours were mostly made out of injection molding, it tended to change its shape a little bit as time move along, for spoilers, a slight shape change could have a huge effect when its installed.
so a couple of months ago, we remade all of our moldings, and use blow-molding technic to produce them, even though the production cost is higher on our end and buyers might rarely notice this by the image when they choose spoilers online since the design is the same, but this new molding and technic to produce could make sure the shape of it won't change, and making our OEM spoiler and V2 duckbill spoiler fit like a glove.
and more importantly, I'm here to back our products, if any issue, always dm us here directly, i check this forum everyday, and i could make sure things goes perfect.
Do you feel like your version will stay on well in both heat and cold?

Upvote 0
Do you feel like your version will stay on well in both heat and cold?
Duckbill Review Youtube
OEM Review Youtube with dry fit test
If the installation is proper, and follow our instruction, it won't be an issue.
Our spoilers have a pretty nice reputation, and you could also check out reviews under our product page and compare it with other vendors.
unfortunately, most of our spoilers are currently out of stock (they will be back in stock in around 10 days), because our sales on spoilers grow by a huge amount previously and the production got delay.
The best thing is, I check the forum almost everyday(except for weekend), and if there is any question on the products or issue with the products, Owners could always contact with me easily, and i will always try my best to make sure things goes perfect for Owners.

Upvote 0
Duckbill Review Youtube
If the installation is proper, and follow our instruction, it won't be an issue.
Our spoilers have a pretty nice reputation, and you could also check out reviews under our product page and compare it with other vendors.
unfortunately, most of our spoilers are currently out of stock (they will be back in stock in around 10 days), because our sales on spoilers grow by a huge amount previously and the production got delay.
The best thing is, I check the forum almost everyday(except for weekend), and if there is any question on the products or issue with the products, Owners could always contact with me easily, and i will always try my best to make sure things goes perfect for Owners.
Thanks, still trying to decide if I put one on my Model Y, but I’ll take a good look at yours if I do. It gets relatively hot in the summer and cold in the winter in Central Oregon, so was interested to see if there would be temperature issues with the spoiler flexing or changing shape which would cause it to come off

Reactions: AOSK
Upvote 0
Thanks, still trying to decide if I put one on my Model Y, but I’ll take a good look at yours if I do. It gets relatively hot in the summer and cold in the winter in Central Oregon, so was interested to see if there would be temperature issues with the spoiler flexing or changing shape which would cause it to come off
I think in this case, there is two thing we need to consider.
first is, the installation process, the install must be done very carefully and strictly follow the instruction to install the spoiler.
second is like what you said, if the temperature will change the shape of it, or the spoiler itself is not strong enough.
in the second case, there are usually two methods to make an ABS material spoiler, Injection molding and blow molding. we used to make some ABS spoiler using injection molding a few years ago, the issue with this method is that the spoiler will change shape slightly when its cold down and release from the mold, and it has a limited surface to install tape and contact with the trunk surface. (our product page has an image compare these two manufacture method). And we now use blow molding technic to manufacture all of our spoiler, this technic is of course more expensive in production cost and molding cost, but the advantage is that, the spoiler has larger contact surface with the trunk surface, and every spoilers we produce will have exactly same shape when its cold down and release from the mold to make sure the perfect fitment, and its much stronger than injection molding spoiler.

Upvote 0
Duckbill Review Youtube
Is the regular rounded spoiler OEM style version 2 also or only the duckbill version is your latest blow molding manufacturing? I prefer the regular rounded or OEM style but your link on Amazon appears to show it only having the glossy black version. There's no option for carbon fiber or matte finish.

Upvote 0
Question regarding the Tesla OEM carbon fiber spoiler.

Tesla's website indicates you order it and then a service center installs it for the (high) price. Can you do that concurrent with your order of a new Model Y? In other words, can you get a new car and have them install the OEM spoiler when you pick it up?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I’ve had my MYP for about a month now and the Tesla Mobile Service guy came by last week to install a new spoiler and it took him all of 20 minutes and that included removing the old one so it really can’t be a difficult job. Ideal temperature is appropriate and applying a pre-taping type of bonding agent which he said helps the tape hold. That’s about it though.

Reactions: fredzos
Upvote 0
Is the regular rounded spoiler OEM style version 2 also or only the duckbill version is your latest blow molding manufacturing? I prefer the regular rounded or OEM style but your link on Amazon appears to show it only having the glossy black version. There's no option for carbon fiber or matte finish.
Yes, all of our spoilers now use blow molding manufacturing technic including the OEM one and other spoilers that we made for other cars.

We stop manufacturing regular injection molding one around one and a half years ago already(cant remember the exact day). and we dispose of tons of injection molding spoilers at that time, it was a real pain.

Reactions: gleearch
Upvote 0
Yes, all of our spoilers now use blow molding manufacturing technic including the OEM one and other spoilers that we made for other cars.

We stop manufacturing regular injection molding one around one and a half years ago already(cant remember the exact day). and we dispose of tons of injection molding spoilers at that time, it was a real pain.

What material is your spoiler made of? ABS with carbon fabric texture?

Upvote 0
Just finished installing the Tesbros Model Y carbon fiber spoiler. No "coatings" of any type, so I washed, alcohol rubbed, dried thoroughly, then installed according to the video. Interesting that there is only one installation cover tape inside rather than 2 strips. I used all the supplied detail tape to hold it in place overnight. I think the result so far is great - very tight fit all around. The only issue was that the locator tapes (at the ends) seemed to be for another model, but still worked OK as it was easy to "split the difference" at each end of the spoiler,
I'm researching now how best to provide UV protection for the spoiler only - any ideas?

Upvote 0