Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Sway Bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at rear sway bar options for my MYLR. I came across this:

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 10.45.50 PM.png

I am guessing Performance Y gets a 25.2mm rear sway while others get a 23.6mm rear sway? Has anyone gone from a nonperformance sway to a performance one?

I am trying to go OEM+ route and nothing aggressive while reducing understeer. From my previous cars, I always upgraded the rear to a thicker bar and loved the balance.

From the looks of it, are rear sway bars on these cars not difficult to install?

I can confirm that my MYP rear bar is the thicker one. I measured it at 25.4mm at the middle when I pulled my OEM one out. Sway bars are extremely easy to install. You'll spend more time pulling the darn plastic underbody covers off than you will installing the bars. 🤣

They only sell as a set? Won't sell just the rear one?
Unplugged sells Front/Rear as a set only, but there are other brands that offer individually:

Reactions: BC-LR and TGuy2024
They only sell as a set? Won't sell just the rear one?
If you go to the Unplugged Performance website, under the Model 3 suspension, they do offer just the rear bar. My understanding is that the rear bar between the M3 and MY are the same in terms of fitment (difference in diameter size). You may want to call to confirm with them, but I suspect that the Race & Competition bar (the site would not specify the exact measurement, just that it "exceeds 25mm") offered on the M3 are the same as the ones they offer for the MY rear, but only as a set. The UP front are the same diameter for the M3 and MY at ~31mm, but the UP MY rear measures ~27mm. I suspect that the "exceeds 25mm" for that UP M3 rear bar is the same one they use for the UP MY set.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGuy2024
Great post with all those links!

I notice some of those aftermarket rear bars are skinner than the stock rear bar for the Y. How do they work?
You might be looking at the wrong data. Or assuming everyone wants stiffer when some want a bit more rolly poly offroad.

If not I can tell you how they could work. Not all steel is equal. A skinnier bar would need a much higher spring modulus though.

If you go to the Unplugged Performance website, under the Model 3 suspension, they do offer just the rear bar. My understanding is that the rear bar between the M3 and MY are the same in terms of fitment (difference in diameter size). You may want to call to confirm with them, but I suspect that the Race & Competition bar (the site would not specify the exact measurement, just that it "exceeds 25mm") offered on the M3 are the same as the ones they offer for the MY rear, but only as a set. The UP front are the same diameter for the M3 and MY at ~31mm, but the UP MY rear measures ~27mm. I suspect that the "exceeds 25mm" for that UP M3 rear bar is the same one they use for the UP MY set.
So this:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 10.41.43 AM.png

Correct?

Reactions: awd_rails
Great post with all those links!

I notice some of those aftermarket rear bars are skinner than the stock rear bar for the Y. How do they work?
Targeted for Model 3, but will fit Model Y. You'll see sizes. adjustable vs non-adjustable all over the board, as driving styles and preferences differ among owners.

I don't want to to install a set of swaybars and expect rail-like handling out of the box. IMHO, a proper coilover setup will not only offer a much better ride/feel, but outperform leaps & bounds of what swaybars can offer.

I am not a track guy.

In my previous FWD car, I switched to the skinniest possible front bar and a thick rear bar - it drove amazingly for many years.
In my last BMW, I kept the stock front non-sport bar and ran an M3 rear bar in the back - Again, amazing balance...used for many years

Trying to see if I can balance my MY a bit more also...

I am not a track guy.

In my previous FWD car, I switched to the skinniest possible front bar and a thick rear bar - it drove amazingly for many years.
In my last BMW, I kept the stock front non-sport bar and ran an M3 rear bar in the back - Again, amazing balance...used for many years

Trying to see if I can balance my MY a bit more also...
It's slightly beneficial in the MY due to its taller height, but as a first mod - won't feel much performance gains as changing wheels/tires or better suspension components like coilovers, harder bushings or even adjustable control arms.