Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y refresh items!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it already hardwired? I thought Elon is quoted saying they couldn't engineer a fake leather heated steering wheel. Of course, this doesn't explain why x and s have heat or how my fake leather 12 v heated steering wheel cover hasn't disintegrated yet. Heated steering wheel is the thing I'm wishing for most! It should be a priority for tesla, since I'm pretty sure all northern latitude drivers have a similar sentiment. They could at least make a non vegan heated steering wheel an option in the meantime.

The problem is the fake leather. My S has heated steering wheel, and lots of cow hide. Even my wife's Model X with "vegan leather" has a leather steering wheel that is heated. The only reason that the leather was removed was a small but vocal minority of vegans on this and the old Tesla site forum having a cow (pun intended) about the use of leather (a material that has been used for all of the history of humanity in every culture and ever area of the world) in their cars.

I'm not critiquing vegans per se, you have to stand up for what you believe, I guess, but the result has been bad for those of us less . . . sensitive.

When you coat your steering wheel with plastic, you can't heat it, because it will get tacky.

The problem is the fake leather. My S has heated steering wheel, and lots of cow hide. Even my wife's Model X with "vegan leather" has a leather steering wheel that is heated. The only reason that the leather was removed was a small but vocal minority of vegans on this and the old Tesla site forum having a cow (pun intended) about the use of leather (a material that has been used for all of the history of humanity in every culture and ever area of the world) in their cars.

I'm not critiquing vegans per se, you have to stand up for what you believe, I guess, but the result has been bad for those of us less . . . sensitive.

When you coat your steering wheel with plastic, you can't heat it, because it will get tacky.

Well, they have heated pleather seats. I wonder why the same material won't work for the wheel. Maybe not durable enough? Anyway, my burger loving self would prefer real leather all around!

Regardless of how they do it, I really can’t see myself buying a Tesla unless they add a heated steering wheel. I put up with it in my $22k Mazda but a Model Y is just a bit pricier.

Before anyone asks, no, gloves thin enough to drive with don’t work when it’s well below zero. The steel inside a steering wheel has significant thermal mass that doesn’t warm quickly with cabin preconditioning.

Regardless of how they do it, I really can’t see myself buying a Tesla unless they add a heated steering wheel. I put up with it in my $22k Mazda but a Model Y is just a bit pricier.

Before anyone asks, no, gloves thin enough to drive with don’t work when it’s well below zero. The steel inside a steering wheel has significant thermal mass that doesn’t warm quickly with cabin preconditioning.

Plus, how am you supposed to work the controls in the car with gloves, given that everything is controlled through a giant touch screen? (capacitive gloves aren't warm enough)

Reactions: rxlawdude
Even if the side mirrors dim now that doesn't change the fact the visibility is too narrow. Either way I would have replaced with the wide angle 3rd party mirror - you can see so much more!

I don't really care about the scrolling wheels on the steering wheel but I really wish mine had a USB slot in the glovebox.

Isn't that because convex mirrors are not allowed by the NHTSA? It's also the same body that is holding up any chance of eliminating the side mirrors to begin with.

Well, they have heated pleather seats. I wonder why the same material won't work for the wheel. Maybe not durable enough? Anyway, my burger loving self would prefer real leather all around!
Heated pleather seats have some cushioning. A steering wheel has no distance between the elements and the pleather.
LEATHER, on the other hand, is fine with a little warmth.

Last edited:
Heated pleather seats have some cushioning. A steering wheel has no distance between the elements and the pleather.
LEATHER, on the other hand, is fine with a little warmth.

Sorry, but the idea that synthetic material can't stand up to a 100-120 degree F heating element is silly. Car interiors routinely get to 160+ degrees in the summertime. And the coil material is going to be insulated from the outer cover in either instance.

There will always be improvements. In fact, in comparison to all other carmakers, Tesla makes way more software updates to keep cars relevant.

The only hardware feature that I really wish I had in my Y is the heated steering wheel. I wish the holiday update included a heated steering wheel since all cars already had it hardwired. Oh, well...

well, software updates are there for all of us and that's the power of Tesla, something even VW said they are copying openly.

As for hardware, that's the tough piece to swallow. At least in the traditional car maker, hardware changes might be expected yearly and you know they might be coming and have a choice to wait... with Tesla, you just never know.... maybe a good surprise when you take delivery.

Totally agreed on the heated steering wheels. Even Mazda CX5 has them..... $35k vehicle...

Reactions: Protect1989
Sorry, but the idea that synthetic material can't stand up to a 100-120 degree F heating element is silly. Car interiors routinely get to 160+ degrees in the summertime. And the coil material is going to be insulated from the outer cover in either instance.

Totally, my MB has "MB-Tex" ie, syn leather, the heated seats goes way hotter than the steering wheel that has real leather wrapping.

Does anyone have a sense of the center console might get updated soon? Placing MY order and don’t want to slightly miss out on new console.

That's exactly the boat I'm in; even though I have a M3P order pending, I am still on the fence if I'd rather go with the MYP instead, esp since I prefer the Y's design/proportions a little better. The updated center console would help with that decision.

Anyone know if there is a way to purchase the upgraded items? The only item I think I would like for now is the Door Open button. I understand the current MY has a labeled and lighted buttons. Getting tired of telling people how to open the door.

Actually, AFAIK, the Model S, at least as of the early 2020 Model Year, DOES come with a vegan, heated, steering wheel. This is from the website today:

Cold weather features including heated seats for every passenger, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters

Source: Model S

And, yes, slaves have "been used for all of the history of humanity in every culture and ever [sic] area of the world" so, using your "logic," we should keep using slaves . . . . And then there's women as property, with no rights, as well, and that it's "safer to be thrown free in an accident" so we should get rid of seat belts too?

Get informed, now please.

Leather is an evil substance for those that ignorantly buy it, the animals that suffer for it, and the planet, our only one, that is being destroyed by it. You appear to not know, or just don't give a darn; either one is not a good look.

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Transportation exhaust is responsible for 13% of all greenhouse gas emissions. [.i]

Greenhouse gas emissions from this sector primarily involve fossil fuels burned for road, rail, air, and marine transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Environmental Protection Agency. "Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions Data".

Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Goodland, R Anhang, J. “Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change were pigs, chickens and cows?”

Goodland, Robert & Anhang, Jeff. "Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change are...cows, pigs and chickens?". WorldWatch. November/December 2009

Hickman, Martin. "Study claims meat creates half of all greenhouse gases". Independent. November 2009

Hyner, Christopher. "A Leading Cause of Everything: One Industry That Is Destroying Our Planet and Our Ability to Thrive on It". Georgetown Environmental Law Review. October 23, 2015. (New)

Methane is 25-100 times more destructive than CO2 on a 20 year time frame.

Shindell, Drew T, et al. "Improved Attribution of Climate Forcing to Emissions". Science. 326, 716 (2009)

Vaidyanathan, Sayathri. "How Bad of a Greenhouse Gas is Methane? The global warming potential of the gaseous fossil fuel may be consistently underestimated". Scientific American. December 22, 2015.

Actually, AFAIK, the Model S, at least as of the early 2020 Model Year, DOES come with a vegan, heated, steering wheel. This is from the website today:

Cold weather features including heated seats for every passenger, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters

Source: Model S

And, yes, slaves have "been used for all of the history of humanity in every culture and ever [sic] area of the world" so, using your "logic," we should keep using slaves . . . . And then there's women as property, with no rights, as well, and that it's "safer to be thrown free in an accident" so we should get rid of seat belts too?

Get informed, now please.

Leather is an evil substance for those that ignorantly buy it, the animals that suffer for it, and the planet, our only one, that is being destroyed by it. You appear to not know, or just don't give a darn; either one is not a good look.

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

Transportation exhaust is responsible for 13% of all greenhouse gas emissions. [.i]

Greenhouse gas emissions from this sector primarily involve fossil fuels burned for road, rail, air, and marine transportation.

Environmental Protection Agency. "Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions Data".

Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Goodland, R Anhang, J. “Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change were pigs, chickens and cows?”

Goodland, Robert & Anhang, Jeff. "Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change are...cows, pigs and chickens?". WorldWatch. November/December 2009

Hickman, Martin. "Study claims meat creates half of all greenhouse gases". Independent. November 2009

Hyner, Christopher. "A Leading Cause of Everything: One Industry That Is Destroying Our Planet and Our Ability to Thrive on It". Georgetown Environmental Law Review. October 23, 2015. (New)

Methane is 25-100 times more destructive than CO2 on a 20 year time frame.

Shindell, Drew T, et al. "Improved Attribution of Climate Forcing to Emissions". Science. 326, 716 (2009)

Vaidyanathan, Sayathri. "How Bad of a Greenhouse Gas is Methane? The global warming potential of the gaseous fossil fuel may be consistently underestimated". Scientific American. December 22, 2015.

This was a super unnecessary tirade. Wow.