Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand how the fanboys got their attitude and how they feel righteous in their opinion and experience. I have my 2015 MS 85D which has been a wonderful experience. My last customer service experience was two years ago and perfect.
I have a close friend who was on the fence about purchase. He has ridden with me many times and I loaned him mine for a weekend and he finally ordered a MY. It was delivered last week. I went over to see it. It is a piece of CRAP. Visual problems all over it. Rattles, strange movements when driving. I felt horrible about my part in convincing him. If you are driving one of the older models, I'm sure you have had an experience like mine and can't believe that quality could have gone downhill that far and customer service become a joke. It's real.

I wouldn't rule out sabotage on the factory floor - that has certainly happened at other auto manufacturers. I remember one incident in particular where a factory worker at GM was found to be tossing bolts into random places so a car would rattle. And apparently, other workers would just be sloppy (because they were unhappy, or incompetent). Certainly, Tesla has the expertise to track who participates in the assembly of every car, have people who do inspections of critical operations, and hopefully, they make an honest attempt to listen to and keep their workers happy.

2018 M3 MR

Just confirmed by Electrek... Tesla says it caught 'malicious sabotage' at Fremont factory - Electrek

Al Prescott, Tesla’s vice president of legal and acting general counsel, wrote in an email to Fremont factory employees obtained by Bloomberg:
“Two weeks ago, our IT and InfoSec teams determined than [sic] an employee had maliciously sabotaged a part of the Factory. Their quick actions prevented further damage and production was running smoothly again a few hours later.

He didn’t elaborate on what form the “sabotage attempt” took, but he said that the employee was terminated. Bloomberg reported:
The employee, who was not named, allegedly sought to “cover up his tracks,” blame a co-worker and destroy a company computer, the email said. “Ultimately, after being shown the irrefutable evidence, the employee confessed. As a result, we terminated employment.”

Prescott added in the email to employees: “We place tremendous trust in our employees and value everyone’s contribution. However, whatever the personal motivations of the attacker were, these are crimes, violations of our code of conduct, and are unfair to other employees,”
The news comes after we learned earlier this year that Tesla and the FBI prevented a $1 million ransomware hack at Gigafactory Nevada.

Just confirmed by Electrek... Tesla says it caught 'malicious sabotage' at Fremont factory - Electrek

Al Prescott, Tesla’s vice president of legal and acting general counsel, wrote in an email to Fremont factory employees obtained by Bloomberg:
“Two weeks ago, our IT and InfoSec teams determined than [sic] an employee had maliciously sabotaged a part of the Factory. Their quick actions prevented further damage and production was running smoothly again a few hours later.

He didn’t elaborate on what form the “sabotage attempt” took, but he said that the employee was terminated. Bloomberg reported:
The employee, who was not named, allegedly sought to “cover up his tracks,” blame a co-worker and destroy a company computer, the email said. “Ultimately, after being shown the irrefutable evidence, the employee confessed. As a result, we terminated employment.”

Prescott added in the email to employees: “We place tremendous trust in our employees and value everyone’s contribution. However, whatever the personal motivations of the attacker were, these are crimes, violations of our code of conduct, and are unfair to other employees,”
The news comes after we learned earlier this year that Tesla and the FBI prevented a $1 million ransomware hack at Gigafactory Nevada.

Oh really? Damn I guess again another reason to check cars that come off the production line. It would have prevented this on his first attempt. The timing for a review coincides perfectly with a roof blowing off a model Y. How about less money spent on social media and more on actual physical checks? I can understand all the stories and elements of truth about a new company about how they are just still figuring things out. But seriously check the cars before they get on that boat because right now this is an issue building up all over the world. Why is it Tesla are so quick to respond to an accident but not for a genuine customer because of bad build quality?

Expect the following posts soon by the usual religious zealots:

It didn't happen- fake video
Every car company has defects
If you want perfection.. buy another brand
Why do people post about all the negative things
OP is a troll
Must be a Tesla short seller
If I didn't see it personally, it didn't happen
That's old news dug up to embarrass Tesla
Click bait
Well known Tesla hater
OP should be banned
FUD
Can we get this whole thread deleted?
It only happened on one car
Why worry, Tesla will fix it!

Did I cover pretty much all the fanboi defensive replies?
Yep, you missed a fairly common one:
"Show me an official Tesla spec that says the roof will stay on the car at any speed"

I don't doubt that this incident actually occurred, and that it is quite disturbing.... That said, as far as we know, this happened to one MY, so it kind of reminds me of the thread about the suspension nuts that was 'stickied' after it first appeared, then 'unstickied' when it seemed that there were only 2 cars noted that actually had the missing nuts, and perhaps another one with loose nuts. So it seems that the actual incidence of 'roofs flying off' - which is now getting major press everywhere - appears to be limited to one MY and not necessarily a trend or something we should all be hugely concerned about.
Unlike Model 3's losing bumpers which was a design issue (apparently driving in the rain tests were left up to the customers, along with winter driving), this seems like a quality assurance issue - you'd think a mature QA process would have had a number of opportunities to catch something as fundamental as whether or not the roof was properly attached. Then again, Elon did say before that "best process is no process", so maybe this explains it.

Yeah what a world we live in. I don't think any other car manufacturer has had to face this before. Crazy times. It would perfectly explain what happened with this roof.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I just read thru this entire stupid screed trying to find out what really happened. Instead, I found a bunch of haters claiming to not be Tesla Fanboi's, yet posting on a Tesla specific site. And all ya'all who are disagreeing with those few who actually posted serious questions about what happened (which STILL hasn't been revealed) are as MUCH of a cult as you accuse the fanboi's of being!

Sheesh