Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Sun Shade Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok - I purchased the Glass Roof Sun Shade from Tesmanian and I'm very happy with it. I'm 6'5" (195 cm) and I still have a couple of inches above my head, even with it sagging 2-2.5". I haven't installed the magnets yet; I think I'll try to fashion a stave like @PCTAZRichard did if I get around to it, but I don't drive with the windows open so it really isn't a big deal for me.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
That's new from when I bought mine. Still, it doesn't look much different from what I have already. I can not see where this wouldn't sag in the middle.

One of the reasons I bought what I did when I did was because Tesla didn't have a Model Y shade yet!
a 'non-sagging' fabric sunshade for the Model Y is like a perpetual motion machine, IMO. You can claim you have one but until you actually show me it works you're lying!

Fundamentally, the curvature and size of the roof mean any fabric shade will sag to some degree unless it is braced.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
Has anyone tried this one from Tesla? Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade
I bit the bullet and bought it. NO SAG! It fits well and I've had it up for about a week and there is no "sag" at all. Obviously, it doesn't "curve" with the lines of the glass, but it is taut and you don't even notice it's there unless you look up. It hasn't been hot yet, so I can't speak to temperature mitigation, but I'm happy with the fitment so far.

I bought the model from Tesla, and will return it today. It's not anything special, sags in the middle (several inches), no magnets, and is basically the same china-made shade found elsewhere but with a Tesla label attached - for $120! Not worth it to me.

It has been reported that the fabric of the Tesla sunshade for the Model Y's glass roof matches the fabric of the Tesla sunshade for the rear hatch glass window. If that matters to you then perhaps the Tesla sunshade is the one to buy.

I've been driving Teslas in the California sunshine for years. The idea of needing a sunshade never crossed my mind. The roof has excellent heat reflection and though my head in very close to the roof (6'4") I have never felt that my head was hot. I think a lot of this is that people THINK they should be hot, and THINK they'll need a sunshade, so they buy one. In my experience over ten years of Teslas is that a sunshade is NOT NEEDED. Instead of worrying about how the sun shines in (I can look directly at the sun easily) I can look up and enjoy the view of trees that pass over me, or watch birds fly or look at cloud formations. I would not ever waste my money on something that hides the view and does nothing for car comfort.

Reactions: sevusal and SWIPE
I've been driving Teslas in the California sunshine for years. The idea of needing a sunshade never crossed my mind. The roof has excellent heat reflection and though my head in very close to the roof (6'4") I have never felt that my head was hot. I think a lot of this is that people THINK they should be hot, and THINK they'll need a sunshade, so they buy one. In my experience over ten years of Teslas is that a sunshade is NOT NEEDED. Instead of worrying about how the sun shines in (I can look directly at the sun easily) I can look up and enjoy the view of trees that pass over me, or watch birds fly or look at cloud formations. I would not ever waste my money on something that hides the view and does nothing for car comfort.
The glass has very good IR blocking but the next time you’re in the sun, take your hand and feel the glass - it will be very hot, almost too hot to touch. No matter how much IR protective film they laminate into the glass if it gets hot it will radiate heat into the cabin. In MN the reverse is also true - when it’s 0 degrees outside, the glass will actively cool the air next to it. Both conditions require the heat pump to work harder.

I am bald on the top my head. Summer 2020, no sunshade. Summer 2021, fabric shade ($50). When the sun is above the tree line, shining down I notice the improvement in comfort right away. The sunshade diffuses the direct rays of the sun. The sun does not feel as intense. I leave the sunshade installed all of the year (I'm too lazy to remove it.)

If you live anywhere with even moderate heat, a sunshade is absolutely necessary on this car unless you do short trips from one covered parking area to another. If the car is ever parked outside in temperatures of 90 or above, do yourself a favor and get one. It will definitely help with radiated heat from the sun soaked glass.

The Tesla shade does have one advantage over the other ones I have seen and tried, and it's that you don't loose the view by putting it in place:
OEM Roof Shade.jpg

My concern was that it may not block the heat as effectively with all of the holes in it, but this weekend will be the first heat I have a chance to test this out...

If you live anywhere with even moderate heat, a sunshade is absolutely necessary on this car unless you do short trips from one covered parking area to another. If the car is ever parked outside in temperatures of 90 or above, do yourself a favor and get one. It will definitely help with radiated heat from the sun soaked glass.

The Tesla shade does have one advantage over the other ones I have seen and tried, and it's that you don't loose the view by putting it in place:
View attachment 784395

My concern was that it may not block the heat as effectively with all of the holes in it, but this weekend will be the first heat I have a chance to test this out...
It looks like there's barely any sag

It looks like there's barely any sag
It does sag a bit, but nearly as bad as the Tesmanian one I have.

I do have to say though, after using for a day when it's just starting to get warm here, this one does very little to stop radiated heat compared to the 3rd party versions without the holes. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, and it's the price to pay to keep the view. Since I still have the other one, I will most likely use the opaque barrier that comes with that one above this once we get over 100 here.

It does sag a bit, but nearly as bad as the Tesmanian one I have.

I do have to say though, after using for a day when it's just starting to get warm here, this one does very little to stop radiated heat compared to the 3rd party versions without the holes. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, and it's the price to pay to keep the view. Since I still have the other one, I will most likely use the opaque barrier that comes with that one above this once we get over 100 here.
Damn, kinda sad to hear it doesn't really stop the heat. Not sure if I should just tint the sunroof or not.

Damn, kinda sad to hear it doesn't really stop the heat. Not sure if I should just tint the sunroof or not.
I'm not sure what kind of heat reduction people are expecting, but I have the Tesla sunshade on the roof, my side and back windows tinted with ceramic tint 5% (limo). I have my windshield tinted with ceramic as well and my car still gets hot (hottest I've seen is 109)....as expected...when sitting in full sun for hours at a time with the windows up. It's the sun people. If you want to keep your car cool, you'll have to find some shade to park in.

Reactions: jcanoe
The glass has very good IR blocking but the next time you’re in the sun, take your hand and feel the glass - it will be very hot, almost too hot to touch. No matter how much IR protective film they laminate into the glass if it gets hot it will radiate heat into the cabin. In MN the reverse is also true - when it’s 0 degrees outside, the glass will actively cool the air next to it. Both conditions require the heat pump to work harder.
See above - One of the big benefits of the sunroof shade is to block the radiant heat coming from the hot sunroof glass.

• Informative
Reactions: Teslu
Not sure how much it really helps but my screen also has a reflector on top of it. Think it comes with the Tasmanian shade IIRC. So you have the mesh under a separate reflective (ish) silver layer. It doesn’t have much mass, and it makes noise if you drive with the windows down but I suspect it does a better job at keeping the cabin cool. I have them braced up against the glass as well.