Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Safety Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blind spot detection. I don't trust the existing warning system that is supposed to tell you when you hit your turn signal if someone is your blind spot. This is a huge miss.

Also that birds eye view for parking that BMW has had (for like 5+ years now) would have been awesome on this car.

Mercedes has that neat audio feature where the speakers emit a high pitched noise to close your eardrums prior to a airbag deployment. That would have been nice.

I agree about the blind spot detection system, that is what I miss most from my ICE. Maybe I'll get used to using the side cameras, but it isn't intuitive when you're supposed to be looking at your side mirrors.

My biggest concern is that the bumper doesn't protect the rear portion of the car from a rear-end collision, meaning that the force of larger vehicles (full-size SUV's, pickup trucks?) will be "higher" than the bumper, causing the impact forces to be dispersed through the rear hatch and places unintended.

They had an issue with this type of stuff (submarining, also) years ago when SUV's first started getting popular - smaller cars like Civics & Corollas were hitting "under" the bumpers on SUV's and causing significant damage to the undercarriage/exhaust components.

You guys saw the article of a Tesla Model Y being smashed where the 7 seaters were? First totalled Model Y? New Tesla SUV severely damaged in rear-end collision - Drive Tesla Canada

5 star safety rating or not, I don't think any body can survive that

I fixed your post.

[Insert non-Tesla luxury brand here] is not one of the safest cars in the world. Also, there may be safety features that may not be included without a pricey upgrade package or do not exist yet. Please post your comments.

To be fair OP (bot or not), a back-up camera and ultrasonic sensors are no replacement for radar-based rear cross traffic alert, because the latter can detect approaching vehicles way beyond the field of view of the camera or the range of the ultrasonics. RCTA is very useful for backing up when sandwiched between two large SUVs or pick-ups. I have it on my Outback and it's the only safety feature that Subaru does better than Tesla.

Exactly. My other cars had it and I loved it. Hopefully Tesla comes up with something that helps even though not quite as wide a field of view as Radar based.

Recently they added the side cameras on backing up, which is fantastic.

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads. We know what Tesla’s do and don’t do. Take it or leave it.