Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spare Tire problem solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These spare tire threads are great but no thought on securing the spare tire and jack in the vehicle.
All the effort on superficial covers (which is important) yet everything is loose inside. These things need to be secured.

We are talking about mitigating danger and risk. A loose tire and jack is just trading one failsafe for another... and the risk of launching unsecured objects inside a vehicle is greater than the risk of flatting out.

This is a not often discussed but very real danger and having an unsecured tire and jack increases your chances of serious injury and worse.

Lightly tossing a jack into someone's head is going to be serious. You would never do it. That jack, or tire, will keep travelling at 30-60mph (or whatever speed you're going) if your car slams to a stop.
There is good reason spares are bolted to the floor and jacks are locked into metal brackets, all underneath a cover or underneath the vehicle.

I just really emplore you to secure all these objects, even if it's ugly. Figure out a clean way later but secure it now.
Not to the seat back,
not to grocery bag hooks or trim panels,
loose under a cargo floor is not secured
If it's not going to hold you down, it won't hold a tire down.
Remember, a collision can turn a 200g mobile phone into a missle.

secure to metal using rated straps or retention that is capable of holding 100s of lbs.
bungee cord isn't it
friction straps aren't it

**I'm off the soap box**
In a perfect world sure. In reality, my Yeti cooler, luggage, etc.. are free to fly around in a crash - it's a risk we all assume every day when we carry things in our vehicles. Not everything gets bolted down.

Eto Demerzel: You've made excellent points, and I agree with you, but as Dennisis points out, luggage, coolers, etc., even the OEM rear floor of the MY are free to fly around in an accident. It's an assumed risk.
I will do my best to secure my spare and jack. No need to add to the risk.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
These spare tire threads are great but no thought on securing the spare tire and jack in the vehicle.
All the effort on superficial covers (which is important) yet everything is loose inside. These things need to be secured.

We are talking about mitigating danger and risk. A loose tire and jack is just trading one failsafe for another... and the risk of launching unsecured objects inside a vehicle is greater than the risk of flatting out.

This is a not often discussed but very real danger and having an unsecured tire and jack increases your chances of serious injury and worse.

Lightly tossing a jack into someone's head is going to be serious. You would never do it. That jack, or tire, will keep travelling at 30-60mph (or whatever speed you're going) if your car slams to a stop.
There is good reason spares are bolted to the floor and jacks are locked into metal brackets, all underneath a cover or underneath the vehicle.

I just really emplore you to secure all these objects, even if it's ugly. Figure out a clean way later but secure it now.
Not to the seat back,
not to grocery bag hooks or trim panels,
loose under a cargo floor is not secured
If it's not going to hold you down, it won't hold a tire down.
Remember, a collision can turn a 200g mobile phone into a missle.

secure to metal using rated straps or retention that is capable of holding 100s of lbs.
bungee cord isn't it
friction straps aren't it

**I'm off the soap box**
Serious question - How does the tire make it past the rear headrests to injure humans?

Not sure what the point of all this “what if” stuff is. So what have you all done with your 1 or 5 gallon buckets of paint from Home Depot? Or anything else you’ve carried in your vehicle? Are you saying you always bolted it down securely just in case? Please, I don’t believe it. We all live with a little risk and could always do everything more safely. All this hand wringing is hypocritical at best.

Reactions: Resist
I don’t think that is the point they are trying to make.
Correct. I would never advocate anyone not wear seatbelts and I wasn't trying to imply anyone anyone else was doing so either. Rather I was actually illustrating jcanoe's point (in response to the question "How does the tire make it past the rear headrests?") about what becomes a projectile in a rollover. If a larger, heavier human can somehow make it all the way to the back past multiple seats and headrests, that relatively small tire can certainly come forward.

On the flip side, we worked a major rollover on I-95 one day that led to the front wheels (wheel, brake, steering joint, the works) being completely torn off. All passengers were wearing their belts. They were bruised some but no major injuries. The fact that they were all belted in led to some amazement--we were so used to people not being strapped in that it was kinda like "holy crap, they actually wore them! See, they work!""

Last edited:
Not sure what the point of all this “what if” stuff is. So what have you all done with your 1 or 5 gallon buckets of paint from Home Depot? Or anything else you’ve carried in your vehicle? Are you saying you always bolted it down securely just in case? Please, I don’t believe it. We all live with a little risk and could always do everything more safely. All this hand wringing is hypocritical at best.
Hypocritical? Of course. We're all hypocrites.

Eto Demerzel's post was far from being hypocritical, and for sure wasn't "hand wringing." He posed legitimate questions that many here had probably never considered.

Auto manufacturers have to accept liability for their products. They hold themselves to a higher standard of responsibility than the average consumer. Thus the secured wheels/jacks/etc, and (tying into another thread), the often debated tire/wheel load rating for Tesla vehicles.

We consumers make our own compromises, all the time. (We eat food from the depths of our refridgerators that is WAY beyond the "expiration date.")

Eto Demerzel's post simply pointed out a compromise that we're making with our unsecured spare tires. The safety risk is real, but is one that many here are willing to take.

It isn't "hand wringing."

It isn't "hand wringing."
In your opinion. But a spirited defense I grant you. But this isn’t the first time the perils of not bolting down your spare were posted. The same argument could be made for any unsecured item we transport, a daily occurrence we all make. What makes the spare so much more special? I’m simply pointing out there are hazards everywhere and this one isn’t unique. But I understand if others disagree for some reason, this is a public forum.

Last edited:
Yes, I do strap down all heavy cargo. I come from doing extensive offroad travel and camping. The idea of leaving a full cooler loose inside a passenger compartment is insane to me. People have died and been severely injured from loose cargo. Happens all the time.

I've been in recovery situations and objectively rough conditions and safety is always the #1 priority. I've never heard anyone say, "you're hand wringing. You're overreacting or that's dumb" when it comes to any common safety practice. Never. I have seen people seriously injured and heard of deaths from ignoring it.

And HELL YES I secure 5 gal buckets or 1 gal cans if they are in the passenger compartment of my suv. 5gal is almost 60lbs. - that's 1200lbs of potential kinetic force flying through the cabin. At the bare minimum I don't want it rolling around or accidentally spilling.

Newton's first law. Objects in motion, stay in motion. In a crash, you stop but ice cooler has 20x the force of gravity behind it. 30lb cooler = 600lbs of force towards the dashboard.

All i'm saying is it's something to consider that is not addressed here. It seems like something people just don't consider, but maybe should.

To actively disagree and say it's dumb to secure cargo "because everyone does it" is laughable. But you do you. Never said otherwise.
*and you can disagree and feel it's fine to not be concerned. Absolutely your choice. The topic should be weighed, so that people can make that choice.

If *anyone is interested, of course google it, but here's a start- there are thousands of examples and warnings about this.

Last edited:
Eto Demerzel: Thanks for your follow-up post. This thread has almost devolved from a discussion into an argument, which is pointless, when anyone reads your thoughtful, defensible posts.

Following safe practices isn't hand-wringing.

Yes, I do strap down all heavy cargo. I come from doing extensive offroad travel and camping. The idea of leaving a full cooler loose inside a passenger compartment is insane to me. People have died and been severely injured from loose cargo. Happens all the time.

I've been in recovery situations and objectively rough conditions and safety is always the #1 priority. I've never heard anyone say, "you're hand wringing. You're overreacting or that's dumb" when it comes to any common safety practice. Never. I have seen people seriously injured and heard of deaths from ignoring it.

And HELL YES I secure 5 gal buckets or 1 gal cans if they are in the passenger compartment of my suv. 5gal is almost 60lbs. - that's 1200lbs of potential kinetic force flying through the cabin. At the bare minimum I don't want it rolling around or accidentally spilling.

Newton's first law. Objects in motion, stay in motion. In a crash, you stop but ice cooler has 20x the force of gravity behind it. 30lb cooler = 600lbs of force towards the dashboard.

All i'm saying is it's something to consider that is not addressed here. It seems like something people just don't consider, but maybe should.

To actively disagree and say it's dumb to secure cargo "because everyone does it" is laughable. But you do you. Never said otherwise.
*and you can disagree and feel it's fine to not be concerned. Absolutely your choice. The topic should be weighed, so that people can make that choice.

If *anyone is interested, of course google it, but here's a start- there are thousands of examples and warnings about this.
All valid points, no arguing here. A bit evangelical but valid, never said otherwise. My point was in practice how would you actually secure, without bungees, all these things you transport in your vehicle? I don’t see it but don’t doubt your sincerity. And don’t bother posting google searches.

"evangelical"???

Discussing facts isn't being "evangelical," simply stating facts.
Fair enough, passionate if you refer. How exactly would you secure a Yeti cooler and large suitcase in the back of the MY without bungees? Because I’m on a trip now with these and see no way to do it to the level you’re advocating. The physics are obvious, thanks, now give a solution that doesn’t involve a roof rack or hitch.

Fair enough, passionate if you refer. How exactly would you secure a Yeti cooler and large suitcase in the back of the MY without bungees? Because I’m on a trip now with these and see no way to do it to the level you’re advocating. The physics are obvious, thanks, now give a solution that doesn’t involve a roof rack or hitch.
Or your spare tire you admit you have yet to secure?

I'm in the process of installing a strap, connected to the rear cross beam, to at least secure the spare and jack.

You're correct about coolers/suitcases, which I had earlier agreed with. I guess the only real solution would be to weld in a roll bar/cage behind the 2nd row seat!

We're all hypocritical, for sure.

Reactions: Dennisis