Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR gone from options and LR dropped 1K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I want it to go through. I've been on the fence between the 3 and the Y, thinking I might order in March or April. Then the tax thing came up, so figured I'd want to get that if it passed.

Worst case: they accept my deposit and deliver the car quickly. I miss out on the tax credit and pay $41,990 for a SR Model Y when I could have had a LR AWD for about the same after tax credit.

Best case: they accept my deposit, deliver the car after the tax credit is effective. I get a SR Model Y for $34,990 net after tax credit.

Your loss scenario is possible but not likely unless your Trump. The retired scenario is the same. Most people in retirement still have significant tax obligations as they draw SS, pensions and money from 401k’s. I also find many people don’t understand how a tax credit works. Your tax withholdings are irrelevant. All that matters is federal tax due not what you will owe or be refunded after filing.

:raises hand:
I just did my taxes and we have a tax liability of $3k for 2020 (family of 6, 7 seater is perfect for our 2nd car). We can easily afford a $40k SR (could afford a MYP for that matter) And if they pass the expanded child credit this year we won’t have any liability for 2021 and therefore the EV credit would be useless for us.

Also, my father-in-law lives on $30k a year and uses already taxed retirement savings to pay cash for a new tundra every three years.

I dunno, try it;)

Really glad they were here asking the Q! Because of this brilliant individual asking the question, I realized I still had a configuration tab open on my laptop. I was able to successfully place an order for SRY through that (but I had to force “order with card” to load by opening another tab and pretending to reserve a LRY). Whew. Really really really happy. Was worried I was never going to be able to afford a Y. Wondering if I’m the last one to get a SRY order in.

Reactions: mcmcn
I was hoping to order a SR MY at some point this year as it is perfect for me, the extra storage of the Y with enough range for my needs (my commute to work is not long at all and I do not go on road trips / rarely go on long distance drives I wouldn't be able to do both ways that I would need to charge the SR or charge more than once) but it looks like that won't be happening. Maybe this might end up being a blessing in disguise, I am hopeful for the $7k tax credit to go through and if so I will probably just end up getting the LR AWD as the $7k credit would make the price difference much more manageable. I keep considering a SR+ M3 instead for the lower price but I really can't go back to not having a hatchback, coming from a CR-V and having found the large storage space to be very important to me in a car I feel like I would have a tough time going to the M3 which, while not having a tiny amount of storage, I prefer the larger volume to fit things like band equipment comfortably in one trip.

I am sure there were a good amount of people who are in my boat who were planning on getting a SR MY at some point who now can not, I just find it incredibly strange how short production was. Sure Tesla might have seen there wasn't as much demand for the SR but I can't imagine basing the entire lifetime of a new trim off 2 months of orders. Maybe a SR+ MY a la the SR+ M3 could be in the works, or even a LR RWD MY (which would probably be my choice of trim if it ever came to exist) could be something they're working on even though they repeatedly claim they are not making one, but I am not holding my breath for that to happen sadly. I just find it so strange how quickly they have apparently killed off the SR MY, I feel like it could have been Tesla's best bet for getting more customers as an affordable electric hatchback for families. Maybe I'll have to call up my local Tesla location and ask them about any existing inventory they have and push my purchase up, but I feel like I should just wait it out and see what their plan with this decision is if there will be anything to replace this trim or if they're only going to produce and sell the LR MY or MYP.