Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, no, and no.

Fremont and Austin made MY LR and P are all Panasonic 2170 NCA cells

Austin made standard AWD (now discontinued) had Tesla 4680 NMC cells and structural battery pack.

Shanghai and Berlin made MY LR and P use LG Chem 2170 NMC cells.

Fremont and Shanghai made MY RWD use CATL prismatic LFP cells.

There are no LFP cylindrical cells (18650/2170/4680) in any Tesla.

There are no LFP Long Range or Performance models because LFP does not have enough energy density or discharge rate to support long range or high performance.
Thanks for the detailed info. I stand well corrected!

Is LFP really better than nickel batteries? Seems to me that the more energy-dense battery is the better One, and that’s not LFP….
LFP is only superior in terms of less cost and better durability/longevity.

Nickel based batteries are far superior in energy density, which translates to better range and power for the same physical battery size.

But I think they were referring to “better” as in only the China RWD models getting the new M3P chemistry which is a variant of LFP/LMFP and has more energy density (still not near as much as NMC/NCA).

And also other markets seem to get new updates/improvements before the US. Eg: Model Y rear cargo cover, Model Y updated door panels, the entire Model 3 Highland refresh…

I'm about to buy a MY LR. Glad I waited until the recent 2K price drop. But I really wish I could get vented seats. I should wait for the MY refresh, but have no idea when that is coming - it has to be a solid year out. I've heard a lot of complaints about the actual range one gets with the MY LR/P, but am not sure if it is just new comers to EVs or if it is extra sensitive to things like AC and excessive heat (like in Arizona). I have a 2015 Model S 85D and don't pay that much attention to rated range - just which SC I can reach before charging.

I'm about to buy a MY LR. Glad I waited until the recent 2K price drop. But I really wish I could get vented seats. I should wait for the MY refresh, but have no idea when that is coming - it has to be a solid year out. I've heard a lot of complaints about the actual range one gets with the MY LR/P, but am not sure if it is just new comers to EVs or if it is extra sensitive to things like AC and excessive heat (like in Arizona). I have a 2015 Model S 85D and don't pay that much attention to rated range - just which SC I can reach before charging.
Probably early 2025 for Model Y refresh (Juniper).

I find range less and less important as the prevalence of Superchargers increases. Charging performance (peak and curve) and Supercharger location/convenience are what matters more now.

With Teslas, generally take 15% off the EPA range for 70mph 100-0% range. Except the RWD 3 basically hits it’s EPA at 70mph.

+1 I hear ya. This summer has been brutal and I hope it's not a trend.

Do you think white seats would make a big difference with temps?

I find range less and less important as the prevalence of Superchargers increases. Charging performance (peak and curve) and Supercharger location/convenience are what matters more now.

With Teslas, generally take 15% off the EPA range for 70mph 100-0% range. Except the RWD 3 basically hits it’s EPA at 70mph.
Good points re: SC+ RWD 3

EPA range %/ Peak and curve better or similar on the RWD Y?

+1 I hear ya. This summer has been brutal and I hope it's not a trend.

Do you think white seats would make a big difference with temps?
I'm getting white seats. I may look into glass roof tinting. That thing is hot to the touch. 5 or 10 degrees F is enough of a difference for me, white vs black. physics says black absorbs all optical frequencies. I'm not sure if it is the same with the IR frequencies, but sit outside in the sun with a white Tshirt on one knee and a black Tshirt on the other knee and your knees will feel the difference.

I'm not sure if it is the same with the IR frequencies, but sit outside in the sun with a white Tshirt on one knee and a black Tshirt on the other knee and your knees will feel the difference.

I hear ya. Only wear white before and after labor day here in PHX. Esp. lately not sure if I'm getting thin skinned as I'm getting older or it's really getting warmer.

My only concern is keeping it clean with kids