Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y- super charge authentication

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No there's no way to do this besides changing the credit card on file with your account via Tesla.com

In this scenario, let your friend drive the car and charge as needed then go look at your supercharger history in your Tesla.com account, add it up and tell the friend to pay up.

If you're a good enough friend or they are then they should be able to pay up or buy you enough alcohol of your choice.

It would be nice to change credit cards on the fly but it's just a few more clicks that that at the moment.

Tesla is very slow to implement such simple features.

Such simple features? How would you go about doing this?

Some considerations off the top of my head.

1. Where do you store the payment instrument?
2. How do you mark a charging session as completed by someone else?
3. How would you go about contesting incorrectly assigned charges?
4. Who decides who pays and how? If I'm the owner and always get to decide why not just pick the other person when I'm feeling cheap?

Regardless of how simple (or not, in this case) this feature is. You have to think about how often it would be used, which seems like not often. Venmoing someone the $50 in charging they might rack up seems pretty straightforward.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Teslafi is able to keep track of pricing when you factor in what the state fees are. Do a road trip search and the price will be calculated. Or, just charge $20.00 for ever 600 miles.
That's about 3.5 cents a mile.

Such simple features? How would you go about doing this?

Some considerations off the top of my head.

1. Where do you store the payment instrument?
2. How do you mark a charging session as completed by someone else?
3. How would you go about contesting incorrectly assigned charges?
4. Who decides who pays and how? If I'm the owner and always get to decide why not just pick the other person when I'm feeling cheap?

Regardless of how simple (or not, in this case) this feature is. You have to think about how often it would be used, which seems like not often. Venmoing someone the $50 in charging they might rack up seems pretty straightforward.

In fairness, we've had folks lose access to supercharging over an unpaid visit (card rejected the charge for some reason). The process for fixing it was clumsy, time consuming, and even Tesla support was confused.

The easiest fix to both the OP's problem and that (more serious) problem is to allow the user to disable supercharging in the account. Then make the user pay per session from the screen in the car.

I'm sure there are more pressing needs, but there are some pretty good reasons to offer a feature like this.