Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y top glass replacement, Massachusetts

Poweroftwo

Oct 29, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a 2' crack in the top glass of my model Y. I used the Tesla app to schedule and appt but was later told by the first 2 service centers I was scheduled at (Watertown and Dedham), that they don't replace the top glass. They suggested I use Safelite Auto glass. After a few calls I found out that Safelite will also not replace that section of glass. I did get referred to Peabody Tesla and they do replace that section and have the glass in stock. I wanted to post this so others form Massachusetts can hopefully go directly to Peabody and avoid the hassle. It would be very nice for the app to limit appointments to service centers that can do the work.
I'm scheduled for next week. This damage is covered by insurance (seems to be a rock chip that started the crack). Normally you would just go to the glass shop, they would do the replacement and bill insurance directly (at least that's how it works in MA). The service center doesn't deal with insurance so I will have to pay them directly and be reimbursed by my insurance. I have let my insurance company know about the damage and will update this post on that process as I go through it.

Poweroftwo

Oct 29, 2018
Massachusetts
We have generally had good experience with service, both remote and at the dealer (my wife has a 3). But they aren’t conveniently located and as there are more Teslas on the road they won’t be able to keep up without opening more service centers or certifying other mechanics

Poweroftwo

Oct 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Tesla Peabody took in the car today. They were going to have me wait (about 3-4 hrs for top glass replacement) but as i had another issue (squeek in L rear) they gave me a loaner. Just saw updated on my app that car will be ready tomorrow.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC