Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towing - Experiences Post here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received that chain hanger and tried it out this weekend. It’s ok and will do the job on my setup. I wish it was an inch or so shorter. I had to do a half twist of only the links coming from the clasp end to get it high enough so it doesn’t rest on the plastic. Over all for $8 it’ll do.
64229D1F-62A2-4BD1-9DA0-AC18898B2A75.jpeg C55DE8EC-A104-446E-8EFC-D4C5B698504A.jpeg
D9D481B6-9FEB-4E11-8B9F-41B3C07CC483.jpeg

Whats the Wh/Mi you been getting pulling the utility trailer?

It’s hard to say. I only towed it a few miles to donate some kitchen cabinets to our local Habitat For Humanity ReStore. That’s not far enough to get a good baseline. Based on my experience with the Model X and various ICE towing vehicles I expect to get about 50% of the vehicle’s rated range. On a long trip I expect to stop every 120 miles or so to charge. That will still give us some buffer on the battery level. In the MX (75D) 120 miles was taking the battery down well below 20%, which made charging stops longer. In some areas this made it feel a little dicey. The Superchargers on the route between Harrisburg, PA and Rochester, NY, for example, are spread far apart. I expect that same route in the Model Y with a trailer to feel more comfortable in regards to range anxiety. Fingers crossed anyhow.

It’s hard to say. I only towed it a few miles to donate some kitchen cabinets to our local Habitat For Humanity ReStore. That’s not far enough to get a good baseline. Based on my experience with the Model X and various ICE towing vehicles I expect to get about 50% of the vehicle’s rated range. On a long trip I expect to stop every 120 miles or so to charge. That will still give us some buffer on the battery level. In the MX (75D) 120 miles was taking the battery down well below 20%, which made charging stops longer. In some areas this made it feel a little dicey. The Superchargers on the route between Harrisburg, PA and Rochester, NY, for example, are spread far apart. I expect that same route in the Model Y with a trailer to feel more comfortable in regards to range anxiety. Fingers crossed anyhow.
Thx for info, do you plan on disconnecting trailer to be able to supercharge?

Thx for info, do you plan on disconnecting trailer to be able to supercharge?

Yes. We have yet to use a Supercharger that allows us to pull through and charge. That would be amazing. We’ve charged sideways a few times when there was nobody else charging, and with the intent to move if someone else showed up to charge. Unhooking doesn’t take us long. While I’m disconnecting the chains and wiring harness my wife is placing the wheel chocks. By the time she’s done with that I’m already cranking the tongue up.

Yes. We have yet to use a Supercharger that allows us to pull through and charge. That would be amazing. We’ve charged sideways a few times when there was nobody else charging, and with the intent to move if someone else showed up to charge. Unhooking doesn’t take us long. While I’m disconnecting the chains and wiring harness my wife is placing the wheel chocks. By the time she’s done with that I’m already cranking the tongue up.
Thx...also, are you using a brake controller? If so, what model and does it plug in as easily as stated in the manual?

so lately I've been sidetracked looking at info on the Audi E-Tron.
So looking just now for videos or info relating towing experiences with it.....
found this report form Norge
The very first test of three electric cars with caravans
interesting test with an Audi, an X, and a Mercedes all towing an identical camping trailer.
But what I found more interesting is that like every other report I've seen about towing they aren't seeming to mention handling.
It's 99% about range.

Anyway, in this report they contridicted slightly about weight...once they said 1,500KG, then later the guy said a different number. Regardless...same ballpark.
but I caught
no mention of tongue weight
no mention of load in the car
no mention of handling the bumps, swaying, etc...
braking performance...or even if the trailer had brakes (I'd imagine these did in Europe)
no mention of how well the suspension handled it....squatting etc. Didn't look like much, but since they didn't really focus on it, it's hard to know for sure if the cars squatted a bit or unloaded the steer axle to a noticeable degree.

Those are the things that I'm personally more interested in than range. I know range will take a hit....call it 50%...no suprise there.

Reactions: MP3Mike
so lately I've been sidetracked looking at info on the Audi E-Tron.
So looking just now for videos or info relating towing experiences with it.....
found this report form Norge
The very first test of three electric cars with caravans
interesting test with an Audi, an X, and a Mercedes all towing an identical camping trailer.
But what I found more interesting is that like every other report I've seen about towing they aren't seeming to mention handling.
It's 99% about range.

Anyway, in this report they contridicted slightly about weight...once they said 1,500KG, then later the guy said a different number. Regardless...same ballpark.
but I caught
no mention of tongue weight
no mention of load in the car
no mention of handling the bumps, swaying, etc...
braking performance...or even if the trailer had brakes (I'd imagine these did in Europe)
no mention of how well the suspension handled it....squatting etc. Didn't look like much, but since they didn't really focus on it, it's hard to know for sure if the cars squatted a bit or unloaded the steer axle to a noticeable degree.

Those are the things that I'm personally more interested in than range. I know range will take a hit....call it 50%...no suprise there.
It seems likely that handling and sway are correlated with vehicle weight, just as with most tow vehicles. Since they're all in the same weight range, I would guess there's limited difference in those. Whether or not the trailer fits within the slipstream of the vehicle matters a little, and again - specs are pretty close across these three vehicles. They are all constrained in what they can tow, and in all cases, as far as I can tell, the tow capacity is less than the vehicle weight. So it covers a lot of towing concerns by that constraint alone.

My feeling is that range is actually one the things that has the biggest variance between models due to tuning efficiencies. I've been told that the Raven motors are going to be more efficient at high draw than are the motors in my 2016 Model X. Will that vehicle have a different multiple for towing than my existing X? Hopefully I'll know in a month or so.

Regardless, if you want to know about the Y towing experience, the likelihood is that it's going to have a little more sway susceptibility and more difficulty braking (without trailer brakes) due to the GVWR of the Y vs. something like the X or the other vehicles in your link.

yes, I reckon sway is more of a function of the trailer's weight and balance....
but weight of the car is a primary handling variable for sure. According to the numbers I've found the Audi has a higher curb weight than even the X....and even a wheelbase almost as long as the x

Seems to me lots of other variables though too....
wheelbase
track
the distance from the hitch to the rear wheels even
the car's stability control system perhaps...that one is a bigger mystery to me.