Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tradein

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to pick up my new Model Y on Friday. I got the email to accept my trade in offer and pay balance. So I went into my account, looked at everything and accepted the final trade in of my Model 3 and paid my balance. 2 hours later I get another email saying I need to pay off my balance. What? I now owe another $2700. I called and turns out that someone looked at the account after I accepted and paid the balance and realized that the offer was good for 30 days which was June 20 expiration. How is this legal? The email said accept your offer which I did. I talked to the local office and they realize that it shouldn’t have been done that way but oh well, we’re Tesla! I don’t know if I’m going to keep the car or not at this point. This isn’t right. Not a way to run a company.

I am scheduled to pick up my new Model Y on Friday. I got the email to accept my trade in offer and pay balance. So I went into my account, looked at everything and accepted the final trade in of my Model 3 and paid my balance. 2 hours later I get another email saying I need to pay off my balance. What? I now owe another $2700. I called and turns out that someone looked at the account after I accepted and paid the balance and realized that the offer was good for 30 days which was June 20 expiration. How is this legal? The email said accept your offer which I did. I talked to the local office and they realize that it shouldn’t have been done that way but oh well, we’re Tesla! I don’t know if I’m going to keep the car or not at this point. This isn’t right. Not a way to run a company.
Wow that was pretty slimy for Tesla To do that. Did your original trade in value show on your MVPA? If so I do not think they can change once you have accepted that. May I ask what your original trade value was? You can reject your delivery and reschedule it and try and sell your car yourself. If you have a CarMax near you can get an offer from them to compare with Tesla. Tesla low balled me on my MS trade in and I sold myself for 3000 more Tesla’s offer. If you do go to for your MY make sure you inspect the car throughly. I ended up rejecting my 1st MY delivery, accepting my 2nd, only to return the car because I missed so many problems with with car. Hope yours works out

I have a 2018 Model 3 Mid Range and they offered $40,100. And yes the MVPA showed that. But then they changed it. I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. I made an appointment with CarMax for tomorrow but at this point and with how bad the Model Y’s fit and finish seem to be right now, I may back out.

Same thing happened to the guys over in the Texas thread. It's certainly some huge BS that they do that. MVPA accepted and everything. Just pulled the rug right out from under them. They never even offered to make it right either, just a "yeah you are right we shouldn't have done that. Still want your car or not?"

I have a 2018 Model 3 Mid Range and they offered $40,100. And yes the MVPA showed that. But then they changed it. I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. I made an appointment with CarMax for tomorrow but at this point and with how bad the Model Y’s fit and finish seem to be right now, I may back out.
I would check with Car Max, depending on your color, miles, cond , wheels and if you have FSD, 40k isn’t too far off. I still think if you had already accepted their original offer on your MVPA, they cannot change it without your consent. Based on my Experience with my MY I would definitely delay until they address their problems with production. There will definitely always be another MY for you. Hope it all works out for you

Right before the pandemic pause, Tesla offered me $31k for my 2019 model 3 mid range plus. This week the updated offer was only $28k. I’m keeping the car and selling it instead of trading in when I pick up my model Y. So, $40k for a similar 2018 is a real good deal to be honest, so you had good luck previously. Just providing some trade in values for others to reference.

Early Vins were bad. Two this week, white Y Ps delivered, both none of the standard issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: empiredown
Like others are reporting our original trade amount that we accepted was deducted from the total price. We were invited to make final payment before delivery and it showed the balance in our account. This is automatic as soon as they put the MVPA in your account. I almost paid it, but figured I’d just bring a check to delivery. Then the MVPA disappeared along with the trade amount, saying that trade evaluation was in progress. I had to send in new pictures. Tesla lowered their trade offer by almost 25%. I had to decline. FWIW, the trade amount never showed on the MVPA, as it’s not supposed to. The fine print for trade also says they can reevaluate the trade offer when receiving the vehicle and the amount is not guaranteed. That’s really for when you show up with a cracked windshield, chipped paint or hail damage they can offer you less.

I think given the situation and how many of us were given quotes just before Tesla shut down for COVID, I think it’s really crappy they didn’t try to honor most of those quotes as they started back up. Also frustrating because the used car market is hot right now.

Reactions: Bentesling