Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no quotes being returned for me on comparethemarket
I'm still able to get updated quotes from compare the market this morning. Have you attempted going to Admiral Insurance directly on their website? Worth bypassing the comparison sites to help troubleshoot the issue. They seem to be providing the most competitive quotes at present. That may change when more insurance companies enter the field.

I think when they say 'Tracker' they mean one the police can track... maybe wrong but being able to track it from your phone is not the same as what the police use.
From Model 3 insurance I believe all the insurers consider the Tesla built in capability as a tracker. Search back on threads, plenty have discussed it with their insurers.

I'm still able to get updated quotes from compare the market this morning. Have you attempted going to Admiral Insurance directly on their website? Worth bypassing the comparison sites to help troubleshoot the issue. They seem to be providing the most competitive quotes at present. That may change when more insurance companies enter the field.
Strange, still nothing for me. None of the information I've provided is out of the ordinary. I've tried Admiral directly but they're not listing MY as an option yet.

Strange, still nothing for me. None of the information I've provided is out of the ordinary. I've tried Admiral directly but they're not listing MY as an option yet.
Yes, how odd. I've attempted the direct approach via the Admiral website and MY not showing as an option. So that issue isn't just affecting you BenjiG! Yet I can get an Admiral quote via a couple of comparison sites

• Has no tracker device fitted
  • Has no alarm
The tracker although its e sim card is at least an ability to track the car incase it was stolen which is better than nothing and gives the insurers a larger amount of cars with a tracking facility which in theory should be cheaper for all, i think with time this should improve.

The car does have an alarm and imo is better than most car alarms, I get the feeling that Tesla security is advanced and they need to catch up.

Also, Pin to drive, which means short of a flatbed nobody is taking the car, even if they steal your phone/keycard.

Flatbed theft isn't nearly so prevalent as simply breaking in and getting a car started with stolen keys or hotwiring.

It'd be interesting to know what the theft/recovery rates are in different parts of the country. I've heard it's worse in the southeast because of people flatbedding a tesla then getting through the channel tunnel before anyone notices (hence the suspiciously cheap parts on ebay), but no figures on it. Stealing a working Tesla.. that's harder because the moment you power it up it tells the mothership where it is.

This is from 2018, and I'm sure it's got better since.. Why it’s almost impossible to steal a Tesla (and get away with it)

I’ve got quotes pretty far out into the galaxy in terms of price on MoneySupermarket, £4K upwards. Currently paying £600 for an A5 in London
I've found quotes via confused.com to work out the cheapest amongst the comparison websites. Admiral insurance are working best for me. I spoke to LV this week, who are currently not quoting for the MY, as I am currently insured with them. Their technical team advised to check next week as there is a chance it could appear on their database. I'm sure more insurance providers will go live for the MY in the next week which will hopefully result in more competitive quotes!

Reactions: ukmy
I've found quotes via confused.com to work out the cheapest amongst the comparison websites. Admiral insurance are working best for me. I spoke to LV this week, who are currently not quoting for the MY, as I am currently insured with them. Their technical team advised to check next week as there is a chance it could appear on their database. I'm sure more insurance providers will go live for the MY in the next week which will hopefully result in more competitive quotes!
I've just got quotes on a MY. Selling a £72k EQC and buying a £58k Tesla and the quotes are £890 and I am currently paying £560. And I am a 50 yr old with no claims or convictions.....bonkers.

I've just got quotes on a MY. Selling a £72k EQC and buying a £58k Tesla and the quotes are £890 and I am currently paying £560. And I am a 50 yr old with no claims or convictions.....bonkers.
Hi, New to the forum, only place I could find any info on Model Y insurance, thanks to which I've succeeded in getting a quote from Admiral. Me 66 yrs old, wifey 70. All clean spotless driving histories. £855.03. Still a bit doubtful, as other insurance companies state that MY hasn't been rated by the insurance gods yet. Has someone dropped the ball?, with maybe 4000 Model Ys at Southampton docks all needing to be insured and driven away and 2 and a bit weeks to go, phew.

Nah it's normal - insurance companies move at the speed of snails on sleeping pills..

When I got my model 3 there were only 2 insurers covering it.. and that was a couple of months after shipping.

DL look to be almost ready (some have managed to get quotes already), that would be 2 for the model Y launch as well.

(Smaller independents like Novo can also give cover although they're not going to be cheap I imagine).

I would suggest that anyone taking delivery of a MY this month gets a quote "in the bag" from a comparison site (Admiral Insurance via confused.com worked best for me). Although more insurers may go live in the next couple of weeks, premiums are likely to get inflated by the short timescale to needing insurance (< 3 weeks). Had a chat with LV yesterday who confirmed as much advising that my existing policy for a car just sold may be worth cancelling rather than waiting too close to my collection date of 26th February.

My quote on admiral (we've already got a multicar policy with them) and it came out at a very respectable £460 (39yo, Cambridgehsire, SD&P, 12k, driveway overnight). My current 2020 Q5 is about £350 by way of a benchmark.
Almost identical situation to me... But you got a much better quote!
38yo, Cambridgeshire, SD&P, 10K, Driveway.
Currently drive a 2018 Q5 & pay £320 with Admiral - MY LR Quote from Admiral was £870!!!!

Reactions: Zanbar
I just contacted Direct line on a web chat - I know these are not always the most accurate advisors - I enquired when they would be offering quotes for Model Y insurance. Their reply was 'We don't cover Tesla Model Y as the vehicle is not meeting our underwriting criteria, we will not cover it'

I'm not sure if that means their not covering it in the short term or they have no intention of covering it.

I have emailed Tesla to see if they are aware of their partner insurer not willing to cover the Model Y. At the moment it seems Admiral group companies are the only option

Reactions: ajbrun
Status
Not open for further replies.