Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks much better from the back and with large black wheels. I love the the aeros on my 3 but they look absolutely ridiculous on the Y. That gap...

I expected that aftermarket replacement wheel covers for the Model 3, which would sacrifice just a tiny bit of increase in drag for much better appearance, would be pretty popular. But so far I haven't seen any report of anyone selling those.

And yeah, that's something that Tesla really ought to work on improving. I'm all for the form following function school of design, but those are just fugly.

This will be better with rear wheel drive with the mattress battery overhead with an extra 20 miles of range.
Elon and people like me don't want rollover potential of high center of gravity. Other car drivers don't seem to mind as much, and they roll over more. Elon wants a safe car as well as that safety rating, so he'll stick to low rollover potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
and i don't normally like black vehicles.

vddHiKy.jpg

OK, so playing with the configurator images in GIMP...

Wheelbase: 628.3 px for the Model Y, 614.8 px for the Model 3
Wheel diameter (front wheel, known to be 18"): 120.0 px for the Model Y, 124.8 px for the Model 3

So, some of the third row space? It's coming from longer wheelbase. I'd estimate 3060 mm or so, which actually makes it longer wheelbase than the Model X. (There is some room for significant error here, though, and small parallax shifts can create big errors.)

At least 300k buyers per year will want a RWD Model Y.

That is why they are building it and at that scale it would be stupid not to make it.

Most crossovers in the USA are sold as front wheel drive.

This will be better with rear wheel drive with the mattress battery overhead with an extra 20 miles of range.
What? SUVs are AWD. Who would buy the FWD versions? It snows in the rest of the country...

Lots of people buy the FWD versions of crossovers today. (And there's been plenty of RWD SUVs in the past, too.)

Look at the back of, say, an older Ford Escape some time in traffic - a STI or a Model 3 is low enough that you can see the rear subframe easily. Most of the time, in my area, I see a big hole in the rear subframe where a rear diff would be.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
no $1000 reservation deposit. $3200CAD to actually order the car that wont be in peoples hands until October 2020. ummmm....

My wife wanted to place a reservation.. but we aren't giving Tesla $3200CAD interest free for a year and a half!
The USD$2,500 for reserving the Model Y is way more than the USD$1,000 to reserve the Model 3 in March of 2016.

Edit: someone said Tesla is combining the "Configuration" and "Reservation" fees for Model Y compared to what we experienced for Model 3 Reservations ($1,000 reservation + $2,500 order fee).

Last edited:
Reactions: McFlurri
autopilot or any other self driving feature should not be allowed to exceed the speed limit.
safety first. speeding is dangerous

Let's play a little mental game. Let's say you have a road that has a speed limit of 60mph. So by your logic, driving 61mph on that road is dangerous, but driving 60mph is not. Now, let's say you change the speed limit to 50mph. Is driving 60mph on the exact same road now suddenly dangerous?

Still no word on the liftgate/hatch. Have to assume it's powered.
I assume this means powered...

Tesla.com:

"Easy access to the trunk makes loading and unloading convenient"

"The liftgate opens to a low trunk floor that makes loading and unloading easy and quick."

why no sig red option? not doing the sig color on the first 1000 anymore?
They didn't do Sig Red on the M3...