Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Model X: interior and comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to get people’s take on how the interior quality and ride comfort between MY and MX. I don’t need MX size and like the SUV attributes of MY.

I own MS, is Model Y interior quality and ride is comparable to MS?

thanks

The wheels and tires your vehicle is riding on will have a pretty big impact on this, and a significant amount will also come down to personal preference, so you should definitely go test drive one. I have owned X, 3, and Y, and driven several Model S as well. I personally prefer the Model 3 and Y (which are extremely similar) as far as seats, cabin design, and ride style.

I had a 2016 X P90D and now a MY Performance. The seats in the Y are more comfortable than my X. The interior space seems to be about the same. The ride on my Y is rougher but I have the 21 Uberturbines. On my X I had the smaller wheels, I think they were 20's. Overall I like th Y better. And as a bonus I can actually lock the car and leave without fear of the Falcon Wing doors self opening for no reason. That was a huge problem and the reason I sold my X. I understand it is still happening for some people.

I had a 2016 X P90D and now a MY Performance. The seats in the Y are more comfortable than my X. The interior space seems to be about the same. The ride on my Y is rougher but I have the 21 Uberturbines. On my X I had the smaller wheels, I think they were 20's. Overall I like th Y better. And as a bonus I can actually lock the car and leave without fear of the Falcon Wing doors self opening for no reason. That was a huge problem and the reason I sold my X. I understand it is still happening for some people.
What's the difference in acceleration like from a stop between the two cars?

Thanks for this feedback, very helpful. I think I am more toward the Y now with smaller size and lower cost

Reactions: LasVegas2019
I had the opportunity to drive 30 miles in a new Model Y 10xxx vin, AWD non-performance after driving the same route in the Model 3. There was definitely a notable increase in rear seat ride stiffness compared to the 3. Not bad but noticeably stiff, the 19 inch tires were at 42psi all around same as the 3. I'm not sure what factors are influencing this: increased weight of the vehicle, the design for future 7 passengers, or a 300 pounds trailer tongue weight etc..

I had the opportunity to drive 30 miles in a new Model Y 10xxx vin, AWD non-performance after driving the same route in the Model 3. There was definitely a notable increase in rear seat ride stiffness compared to the 3. Not bad but noticeably stiff, the 19 inch tires were at 42psi all around same as the 3. I'm not sure what factors are influencing this: increased weight of the vehicle, the design for future 7 passengers, or a 300 pounds trailer tongue weight etc..
Did you have passengers with you by any chance? I came across this snippet from MotorTrend that says the ride should be softer with more passengers:
Over potholes, rough roads, and especially highway expansion joints, the Model Y PUP's lowered suspension and big rolling stock mean most impacts are met with some gut jiggle and a firm kick in the rear. To Tesla's credit, the ride is by no means punishing—you're neither flinching before bumps nor wincing after them—it's just firmer than most other vehicles in its class. Interestingly enough, Tesla engineers say the Model Y's suspension is set up to ride firmer with a solo driver on board and that it'll become softer and more compliant with passengers in the cabin. For social distancing reasons, we haven't yet tested this claim.

No just driver and me in the vehicle at the time. I think you are correct, the spring suspension has to be capable of the maximum load capacity plus trailer tongue weight. This makes it stiff with light loads like a pickup truck ride with no load in the bed.

Dual rate springs can help or of course air suspension would be optimal for large load range variations.