Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y washing question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with the comments here, I'm glad im not the only one and funny I have blue paint too. This is what a "brand new model y" is looking like
20230805_153622.jpg
20230803_125919.jpg

Attachments

• 20230803_130039.jpg
    20230803_130039.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230803_125957.jpg
    20230803_125957.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230803_125857.jpg
    20230803_125857.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 40
In terms of keeping the car looking clean longer, and making it easy to clean, look into ceramic coating. I’ve done it myself on my last five cars now and it’s a life changer if you like to have a clean car. Combined with Optimum No Rinse quick washes in the garage it’s a whole new world if you come from the old school of traditional waxes and washes.

The products available now for ceramic make DIY easier than ever because they’re very forgiving. But just like painting, prep is key — clay bar/polish/paint cleaning recommend.

Hi all. I am absolutely in love with my new model y long range with blue exterior. Most enjoyable car I have ever driven. The only issue I have is that more than any car I have ever owned, it seems the model y exterior is so hard to keep clean. It shows every speck of dirt and water spots are extremely common and tough to clean. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I welcome any ideas or insights you have.
Easy answer, you picked the wrong color.

I love the dark red and blue cars as much as anyone. Bought a new dark blue car in ‘87, it was showing dust before I finished drying it. Never again, since that car I’ve always purchased white grey or silver.

Boring but clean.

In terms of keeping the car looking clean longer, and making it easy to clean, look into ceramic coating. I’ve done it myself on my last five cars now and it’s a life changer if you like to have a clean car. Combined with Optimum No Rinse quick washes in the garage it’s a whole new world if you come from the old school of traditional waxes and washes.

The products available now for ceramic make DIY easier than ever because they’re very forgiving. But just like painting, prep is key — clay bar/polish/paint cleaning recommend.
What products do you recommend for the ceramic coating? Is there a prep process you like to follow? Thanks!

Have you ever owned a dark color car? I've had several. I swear, I can detail a dark car, and before I have all the supplies put away, the car seems to have a coating of dirt/dust on it. I'm not joking!
So, sorry, it's your new-car joy of dark/shiny paint, and the reality that it shows dust/dirt very quickly after washing.
not just dark color cars. I have a white one and I literally just finished washing the car and I ran my fingers over the trunk and I can feel the dirt just collected again.

What products do you recommend for the ceramic coating? Is there a prep process you like to follow? Thanks!
(Optional) Iron remover
Clay bar (clay mitt actually is much easier to handle/not drop)
Polish (with a polishing machine) — 2 stage, one cutting polish and one optical/finishing polish
Paint cleaner (to remove all polish residue and oil)

And now you’re ready for ceramic.

For my previous four cars, I used CQuartz UK. It’s a good product and I’ve had good results with it, but it can be a bit on the tricky side to work with. I’ve wound up with high spots/rainbow spots on a couple cars because I wasn’t fast enough removing it or it was unhappy about the temperature or something.

For the MYP that I took delivery of yesterday, I decided to try something different and wound up buying Gyeon Mohs Evo. It certainly went on easier than CQuartz UK, and reviews of it seem very positive. If you decide to try this yourself, you might look at Gyeon Pure because it’s probably easier application for a newbie.

Oh, and like the above posters have said — my blue paint was atrocious from the factory. Worst factory paint I’ve ever seen. And it has weird splatters/blemishes that can’t be polished out.

Totally agree here, ceramic is the way to go. I have own many cars in my lifetime and the Tesla was my very first experience with ceramic and I’m a believer. My self car washes are fast and easy and less frequent.

not just dark color cars. I have a white one and I literally just finished washing the car and I ran my fingers over the trunk and I can feel the dirt just collected again.
Of course. I should have clarified, after washing/detailing a dark car, you can immediately SEE the dust/pollen on the car within a few minutes.

It just doesn't show up as well on light colored cars.

All those steps in prep for a real ceramic coating (removing all previous sealants, waxes, etc with clay bar, 2 stage polish, paint cleaner) is just too much effort for me. Previously, using carnauba wax, sealants, etc. last a month or two but now it seems there are ceramic DIY products that are easy to use without extensive prep - now these don't last as long but some claim up to a year and I'm happy with a ceramic wax coating that lasts just half a year; I can put up with something as easy as wiping on a ceramic treatment on a wet car from me just washing it and then drying it - and needing to do that just twice a year.

The only question I have is how long should I wait on the paint of a new Tesla vehicle (Model Y LR) to be seasoned or dry before putting on any ceramic coating. The concern bring that putting on any ceramic coating in effect seals in the new paint that still needs to be cured.

I've read on new cars 30 - 60 days to let new paint cure and that's with cars in showroom and dealer lots; while for Tesla, cars are being delivered to customers right after they are made.

For those who have done DIY on a Tesla, how long did you wait? Or if you had professional PPF and or ceramic coating on a newly delivered Tesla - how long did the professionals have you wait before applying their coatings?

All those steps in prep for a real ceramic coating (removing all previous sealants, waxes, etc with clay bar, 2 stage polish, paint cleaner) is just too much effort for me. Previously, using carnauba wax, sealants, etc. last a month or two but now it seems there are ceramic DIY products that are easy to use without extensive prep - now these don't last as long but some claim up to a year and I'm happy with a ceramic wax coating that lasts just half a year; I can put up with something as easy as wiping on a ceramic treatment on a wet car from me just washing it and then drying it - and needing to do that just twice a year.

The only question I have is how long should I wait on the paint of a new Tesla vehicle (Model Y LR) to be seasoned or dry before putting on any ceramic coating. The concern bring that putting on any ceramic coating in effect seals in the new paint that still needs to be cured.

I've read on new cars 30 - 60 days to let new paint cure and that's with cars in showroom and dealer lots; while for Tesla, cars are being delivered to customers right after they are made.

For those who have done DIY on a Tesla, how long did you wait? Or if you had professional PPF and or ceramic coating on a newly delivered Tesla - how long did the professionals have you wait before applying their coatings?
I did a DIY ceramic coat on my blue MYP about a month after it arrived. I used Avalon King products that the coating is holding up great. I did two coats over all paint, glass, lenses, and wheels. Prep was a wash, clay bar, IPA wipe down. That was March of 2022 and I just applied their "boost" last weekend after a wash. It really holds up wheel, and I drive my MYP through a high quality wash (not touchless) about 3x a month (The horror!). Paint is still very glossy and shiny, and I have no complaints.

I recently went to a Porsche Club tech day at "The Rag Company" HQ here in Boise. They did full demo of ONR using a member's Cayman. Their process is to take a bucket with 4 gallons of warm water. Add about four capfuls of ONR. Then add some of that solution to a hand pump sprayer. Use the pump to saturate the entire car, and then go over it with a wash mitt dipped in the bucket (with a grit guard). Then a final spray from the pump sprayer and dry the car with a good quality microfiber towel. This method works great, and I use it on my Boxster S to clean the entire car/wheels in about 15 minutes.

For my MYP, I did an Avalon King DIY ceramic coat and it gets driven through a good quality car wash every week or so. The coating is a year old and holding up great. I don't do the ONR rinse-less wash on this car since it's my daily driver. Being dark blue, it's got a few swirls but still looks great. I'm not going for "show car" paint car on my daily MYP. I'll save the muss/fuss for the Porsche.
What's a grit guard? I'm about to get a new Model Y to take advantage of the one-time FSD transfer, and I had to buy a dark color (blue) because the only light color Tesla sells is white (which I dislike). My 2018 Model 3 was silver.

What's a grit guard? I'm about to get a new Model Y to take advantage of the one-time FSD transfer, and I had to buy a dark color (blue) because the only light color Tesla sells is white (which I dislike). My 2018 Model 3 was silver.
A grit guard is an insert that fits in the bottom of your 5 gallon bucket. It lets all the grit settle to the bottom and not foul up your wash mit.

1692121881906.png