Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so it has been raining in seattle and i also did a thorough car wash..checked that compartment in the front and it is still dry.

however...my front ultrasensors have stopped working..
It's strange that we're not seeing this issue widely reported in the US. Is there any difference between vehicles for NA vs international? My understanding was that these were all from Fremont.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue, but im not sure if it's related. I have water ingress in the passenger footwell, apparently due to the HVAC inlet sucking in water resting on top of the new HEPA filter box nearby under heavy acceleration. Service have not confirmed yet if this is a defect/design issue or fitment issue.
Interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue?

Upvote 0
it was coming out of the air outlet and to the left side of that, between the carpet wall and the plastic. I just got the car back from service today, so far so good but ive not fully tested it yet after having it sit in the rain

@Scottdrummer please do keep us posted. Also, if you're able to provide info on what they did (or maybe images of the invoice with your personal info blacked out) that might be helpful for others having the issue.

Reactions: plibby1985
Upvote 0
@Scottdrummer please do keep us posted. Also, if you're able to provide info on what they did (or maybe images of the invoice with your personal info blacked out) that might be helpful for others having the issue.

The invoice was pretty vague
"Re-sealed interior of duct area and verified water it properly draining, reinstalled components and performed an extended validation test drive"
However, from talking with the service rep, he said it was the HVAC inlet vacuuming in water from the top of the filter box

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
2021 MYP here. Three months old. Today for the 2nd time the floor in the back seat is soaking wet. We had heavy rain the past 24 hours but no flooding where I park. I don't remember if the weather was rainy the 1st time I noticed water back there. I removed the floormat and the carpet is wet all the way across, from left to right doors, and mainly just adjacent to the seat. Where your feet would go, and under the front seats, are bone dry. Front carpet is bone dry as well. Any idea where this water is coming from?

Interesting fact: my rear floor mats are water proof, yet not only is the carpet below them wet, the top surface of the mats are also wet. My windshield sunscreen, which I keep folded and lying flat on the rear seat floor mat, is soaking wet. What's happening here?
I have also been experiencing this same issue. Only when driving in heavy rain. We live in Pacific Northwest and only noticeable during the heavy rains.. When first noticed this in Feb/Mar 2021. Our local SC could not find or duplicate the issue. I discovered another Tesla owner with exact same problem and his SC did find the issue and fixed it for him. He said it was a sealant missing during production. I haven't gone back yet to my SC but will. Have you had your problem resolved now?

Reactions: 777Path
Upvote 0
2021 MYP here. Three months old. Today for the 2nd time the floor in the back seat is soaking wet. We had heavy rain the past 24 hours but no flooding where I park. I don't remember if the weather was rainy the 1st time I noticed water back there. I removed the floormat and the carpet is wet all the way across, from left to right doors, and mainly just adjacent to the seat. Where your feet would go, and under the front seats, are bone dry. Front carpet is bone dry as well. Any idea where this water is coming from?

Interesting fact: my rear floor mats are water proof, yet not only is the carpet below them wet, the top surface of the mats are also wet. My windshield sunscreen, which I keep folded and lying flat on the rear seat floor mat, is soaking wet. What's happening here?
Whitecat, Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same issue with a UK (China built) car.

Upvote 0
To anyone who is experiencing the water intrusion issues: Do your Y's have that odd rectangular gap on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield? Maybe 3/4" long and about a 1/4" wide? Most all of the Y's, 2020-2022 have that, and no service center can yet explain what the gaping hole is for, or does for the car. Just appears that water can just run right into the car.

Upvote 0
To anyone who is experiencing the water intrusion issues: Do your Y's have that odd rectangular gap on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the windshield? Maybe 3/4" long and about a 1/4" wide? Most all of the Y's, 2020-2022 have that, and no service center can yet explain what the gaping hole is for, or does for the car. Just appears that water can just run right into the car.
Photo? Don't see a gap on mine.

Upvote 0
This? I have it on my driver side too. But my window seal is good here so I’m not getting any intrusion. (As far as I know).

Attachments

• 95AD19C0-F7CF-4E35-851E-32A129CFE971.jpeg
    95AD19C0-F7CF-4E35-851E-32A129CFE971.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 9EFD18C6-0A46-41B5-9B4C-E2902CB25C91.jpeg
    9EFD18C6-0A46-41B5-9B4C-E2902CB25C91.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
Whitecat, Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same issue with a UK (China built) car.
Since I posted that in September 2021, it has never happened again. I have thought about it often. The most "reasonable" explanation is that the rear windows were not fully closed. How that could happen, if it happened, without me receiving notifications etc etc, I do not know. I can only say that despite being parked outside 24/7 and being in rain all the time, I have had no further problems. I wish I could help you, good luck.

Upvote 0
Since I posted that in September 2021, it has never happened again. I have thought about it often. The most "reasonable" explanation is that the rear windows were not fully closed. How that could happen, if it happened, without me receiving notifications etc etc, I do not know. I can only say that despite being parked outside 24/7 and being in rain all the time, I have had no further problems. I wish I could help you, good luck.
I have found it is easy to accidentally press the window buttons with my left arm when entering and exiting the Tesla Model Y.

Upvote 0
I have also been experiencing this same issue. Only when driving in heavy rain. We live in Pacific Northwest and only noticeable during the heavy rains.. When first noticed this in Feb/Mar 2021. Our local SC could not find or duplicate the issue. I discovered another Tesla owner with exact same problem and his SC did find the issue and fixed it for him. He said it was a sealant missing during production. I haven't gone back yet to my SC but will. Have you had your problem resolved now?
Since experiencing my water intrusion, I have had many occasions to drive in heavy rain. Yet the problem has not reoccured. I can say that the times I found the back seat carpet fully drenched with water, it was after the car had been parked overnight.

Upvote 0
I have found it is easy to accidentally press the window buttons with my left arm when entering and exiting the Tesla Model Y.
I personally am pretty "OCD" about checking to make sure windows are closed and doors are locked, and maybe mid-2021 was prior to Tesla adding a notification to the app that windows/doors were open? Maybe that's what happened, your suggestion is certainly possible.

Upvote 0