TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y will arrive sooner than expected

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Nuclear Fusion, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Nuclear Fusion

Fremont about to increase production
    Shanghai to be underway this year
    Unlike with other models, 2020 will be an accurate guidance

• Like x 5
  2. mazers

mazers Member

I'm hoping they do! Hoping they start being delivered within a year.

3. vickh

vickh Member

wow. Wonder if the SR will be released sooner too. I hope I don't lose to much in trade in on my new 3

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I hope Tesla underpromises and over delivers with the Y. I'm tired of having every utterance and estimate being taken as gospel by the media, bears, and other pundits.

• Like x 2
  5. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

I think there's a good chance first day reservation holders will see their vehicles in 2019.

EDIT: By that I mean the most important first day reservation holders. In that I fully expect to start seeing Model Y's driving around before Christmas in the Bay Area.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1
  6. jammertwo

jammertwo Member

As soon as I hear about owners getting their Model Ys I'm placing my order. Come on Tesla!

7. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in Lake Charles LA)
    I've been looking at them too. Who knows. May be worth the wait to see what the pickup looks like

8. woodisgood

• Disagree x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I'm still waiting on trailer towing specs (or even proof that it will be approved for US cars).

• Like x 2
  10. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in Lake Charles LA)
  11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I ordered a Model Y last night, just to lock in pricing. Just in case.

• Like x 2
  12. vickh

vickh Member

I wish they brought back the 1k deposit.

13. Nuclear Fusion

Thank you. That is further proof.
    There is no way there is a doubling of Model 3 production, so the obvious explanation is Model Y, which is being made in China
    I just hope Tesla has sufficient longer term lithium supply contracts locked in - it’s the biggest bottleneck, as VAG has discovered
    Also being reported by Teslarati:
    Tesla Model 3 supplier to double parts shipments in Q3, says sources

14. woodisgood

Tesla has something up their sleeves for long-term battery supply. Best guess would be one arm is related to Maxwell, but there might be something related to mining in the works as well. As they said at their inventory day, paraphrasing, "We're not sitting idly by on that front, but we're not going to say anything about it right now."

IF Model Y production comes online sooner than expected, it will be because they made significant progress on battery constraints. Conversely, delays with Y would also most likely be related to battery constraint.

• Like x 1
  15. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

That would still be as expected and not sooner than expected. I understand you meant whisper expectation but it could be better than that this time around. Y production is probably what "can not be specific" meant in Jerome's email.

16. woodisgood

What's with all the disagrees on my post above? Do you people disagree that Model Y's will be sighted on the road before year-end, or was it something else I said?

For the record, the "most important" reservation-holders I was referring to would be fairly high-level employees and/or their families.

• Disagree x 1
  17. Nuclear Fusion

I think there is a distinct possibility of MY on the road before year’s end - Tesla might even push through ‘drip fed’ production because optics matter to company value
    It’s why there would be no problem in ‘hand building’ the first few Semis & Roadsters - optics, optics, optics

18. Nuclear Fusion

Tesla takes up a major shareholding in a lithium & nickel mining company?
    Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they do

19. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

I’m not sure even my most optimistic projections has any Model Ys in anyone’s hands by year end. I’d be happy if they started to ramp in the Spring vs Fall.

Even with all the functional similarities between the Model 3 and the Model Y, I think people are underestimating the juggling they’re going to have to do to free up the space to build the Model Y in Fremont.

• Like x 1
  20. redgt

redgt Member

I didn't give you a thumbs down but the Tesla website says "Production is expected to begin late next year"

You think production will begin one full year early?