Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y will arrive sooner than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://electrek.co/2019/07/11/tesla-supplier-hints-massive-model-3-production-increase/

A Model 3 supplier saying they're doubling parts orders? And Y shares many parts with 3....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Thank you. That is further proof.
There is no way there is a doubling of Model 3 production, so the obvious explanation is Model Y, which is being made in China
I just hope Tesla has sufficient longer term lithium supply contracts locked in - it’s the biggest bottleneck, as VAG has discovered
Also being reported by Teslarati:
Tesla Model 3 supplier to double parts shipments in Q3, says sources

Thank you. That is further proof.
There is no way there is a doubling of Model 3 production, so the obvious explanation is Model Y, which is being made in China
I just hope Tesla has sufficient longer term lithium supply contracts locked in - it’s the biggest bottleneck, as VAG has discovered
Also being reported by Teslarati:
Tesla Model 3 supplier to double parts shipments in Q3, says sources

Tesla has something up their sleeves for long-term battery supply. Best guess would be one arm is related to Maxwell, but there might be something related to mining in the works as well. As they said at their inventory day, paraphrasing, "We're not sitting idly by on that front, but we're not going to say anything about it right now."

IF Model Y production comes online sooner than expected, it will be because they made significant progress on battery constraints. Conversely, delays with Y would also most likely be related to battery constraint.

Reactions: KJD
What's with all the disagrees on my post above? Do you people disagree that Model Y's will be sighted on the road before year-end, or was it something else I said?

For the record, the "most important" reservation-holders I was referring to would be fairly high-level employees and/or their families.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
What's with all the disagrees on my post above? Do you people disagree that Model Y's will be sighted on the road before year-end, or was it something else I said?

For the record, the "most important" reservation-holders I was referring to would be fairly high-level employees and/or their families.
I think there is a distinct possibility of MY on the road before year’s end - Tesla might even push through ‘drip fed’ production because optics matter to company value
It’s why there would be no problem in ‘hand building’ the first few Semis & Roadsters - optics, optics, optics

Tesla has something up their sleeves for long-term battery supply. Best guess would be one arm is related to Maxwell, but there might be something related to mining in the works as well. As they said at their inventory day, paraphrasing, "We're not sitting idly by on that front, but we're not going to say anything about it right now."

IF Model Y production comes online sooner than expected, it will be because they made significant progress on battery constraints. Conversely, delays with Y would also most likely be related to battery constraint.
Tesla takes up a major shareholding in a lithium & nickel mining company?
Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they do

I’m not sure even my most optimistic projections has any Model Ys in anyone’s hands by year end. I’d be happy if they started to ramp in the Spring vs Fall.

Even with all the functional similarities between the Model 3 and the Model Y, I think people are underestimating the juggling they’re going to have to do to free up the space to build the Model Y in Fremont.

Reactions: KJD

I didn't give you a thumbs down but the Tesla website says "Production is expected to begin late next year"

You think production will begin one full year early?