Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny the things you find out. Chatting with a guy from Tesla UK about the Model Y, and it will be a 2 seater, so will be the new name for the latest Roadster.

This means that I won't be waiting beyond my Model 3 delivery for a smaller version of the X, which some sources said the Y would be. This in mind, I am now seriously looking at the Model S as my next car, as I can't get enough junk into the other Tesla variants, and I don't see a 4x4 pickup coming from Tesla any time soon.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence into an off the cuff comment made by some random Tesla employee, especially if he/she just works at a local sales or service location. They aren't privy to any insider information on future vehicle models any more than we are. Often, their "scoops" come from the same rumor mills we read here, but since they are regurgitated from the mouths of Tesla employees, the rumor is given more weight.

Reactions: Fiver
Funny the things you find out. Chatting with a guy from Tesla UK about the Model Y, and it will be a 2 seater, so will be the new name for the latest Roadster.

This means that I won't be waiting beyond my Model 3 delivery for a smaller version of the X, which some sources said the Y would be. This in mind, I am now seriously looking at the Model S as my next car, as I can't get enough junk into the other Tesla variants, and I don't see a 4x4 pickup coming from Tesla any time soon.

This seems to be a Shakespeare moment - what's in a name?

There have been numerous sources indicating that Tesla is developing a CUV on the 3 platform, including tweets from Elon.

I'm fairly certain that it will be the next car Tesla reveals.

We've all assumed, with little evidence that I'm aware of, that it will be named Model Y.

If your source is correct, and the Y is the second generation roadster that we also knew was coming - but the CUV still comes first with another name, does it really matter?

The roadster II is unlikely to be a roadster. They will more likely build a bigger sporty car on the new platform. A real roadster couldn't use the new battery pack.

But they would be nuts to make that car before a CUV on the model 3 platform.

Just talked to a couple employees at a Tesla Service Center and they said... we are the last to know anything new, sometimes we find out after it has already happened, the forums often know about changes well before we do.... So, with that in mind, probably the last place to get good information about Tesla, is from a Tesla employee :rolleyes:

I am only going on information from the Tesla Sales representative in the UK that is meeting me tomorrow to take the Model S P90DL for a test drive. I know no more than that. It wasn't some bloke from the pub, he is an employee, and hopefully, being in sales, might just know what he is talking about :)

I am only going on information from the Tesla Sales representative in the UK that is meeting me tomorrow to take the Model S P90DL for a test drive. I know no more than that. It wasn't some bloke from the pub, he is an employee, and hopefully, being in sales, might just know what he is talking about :)
So, your sales guy is more reliable than the sales guy in the Model Y is a truck thread?

Not much logic there.

It's not about logic. It's about the public hoping that what they are being told by a Tesla representative is factually correct, after all, I'm about to part with a fair chunk of cash on a Model S (and a 3), so would hope that I was getting the truth about future developments.
If they don't know, then they shouldn't comment.

We can spend all night speculating on who is correct. Only time will tell.

It's not about logic. It's about the public hoping that what they are being told by a Tesla representative is factually correct, after all, I'm about to part with a fair chunk of cash on a Model S (and a 3), so would hope that I was getting the truth about future developments.
If they don't know, then they shouldn't comment.

We can spend all night speculating on who is correct. Only time will tell.
So, whose rep is the more informed rep?

Obviously you've never been a low level employee. They're the last people to know what corporate is doing. I know, I've been a low level employee.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
he is an employee, and hopefully, being in sales, might just know what he is talking about :)
That's what we're trying to explain... just because he's a Tesla employee doesn't mean he knows anything about future products. Maybe if he works for Tesla in Hawthorne, Palo Alto or Fremont, then there's a remote possibility he may be privy to such information. Even then, he wouldn't cavalierly disclose such information to an outsider. A local sales employee wouldn't even have access to such information to begin with.

It wasn't some bloke from the pub, he is an employee, and hopefully, being in sales, might just know what he is talking about
The Tesla showroom and service center of employees are definitely the last people to receive advance notice about new products and product changes, as @EV-lutioin and others have pointed out.

I had a service center employee tell me that their service center found out about the P85D Ludicrous retrofit when a customer called in and asked to schedule it. Unlikely any low-level employee has inside knowledge about future models.
Same for me with the 3.0 updates.
Me: "What can you tell me about the new battery and aero upgrades?"
Store manager (who used to drive a Roadster): "Dear God, what did Elon promise now."
Service advisor: "You're telling me more than I know."

• Funny
Reactions: SΞXY P100D