Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • We know the new 3D6 rear motor since Q3/2021, when it was first installed in the MIC M3P 2021. I've also gathered my measured data and published performance specs of this motor here. In the Performance you will see that the motors will go to their absolute maximum technical limits, if the battery provides the power (M3P Bat Power Limit 430 kW / 1300'ish Amps)
  • We have data from the German Model Y Performance which has the same battery pack (5L), motors (3D3/3D6 and drive unit (CAT3). The numbers have been below the M3P 2019 - 2022 with Panasonic battery packs and also below the US Model Y Performance with Panasonic battery pack. It is only safe to say, that the Model 3 Performance with LG battery pack will perform as the German Model Y Performance in regards to its power vs speed curve.
  • The battery pack is always "held back" in a Long Range, since without boost it will never go above 970A, where the Performance is in the region of 1200-1300A. Acceleration boosted Long Range can also go above 1200A on short bursts.
Looking at some 1/4 mile times for MIG and US cars there is less than 0.1s between them so we aren’t seeing differences in the real world it seems. 3L with the less powerful motors vs 5L with the more powerful motors as a system doesn’t appear to have a notable gap in performance.

It wasn’t clear on the motor graphs but is there cat. 2 and cat. 3 variant data?

Last edited:
Not at all. The motors cannot consume more power than the battery can supply.

However whether this is 411kW, 416kW or 433kW absolute max (and less in the real-world) it’s more than sufficient to achieve the rated performance.
The power output from the motor is not the power consumption and it also varies by rpm. I wonder what this is for the motors as it may go some way to explain the lack of difference in performance.

Looking at some 1/4 mile times for MIG and US cars there is less than 0.1s between them so we aren’t seeing differences in the real world it seems.
The very best time I know from a MIG MYP 2022 is 12.1s were there are several 11-12s times from US cars, but that is no the point. The main focus should not be the times we see at 90%+ SoC, but the ones we see at maybe 70-75%. This were a hot Panasonic starts to drop below its 430kW power limit, were the LG starts to drop from 100% straight away. Were there are some 3,8s runs in the MYP with LG5L, there are only 4,2s runs at 70-80% SoC. The LG can provide the power to meet the advertised numbers. The key question is, for how long?
What does 3L and 5L stand for?
The battery packs. More info can be found here - use caution it's in German ;-)
The power output form the motor is not the power consumption and it also varies by rpm.
Yes and I can imagine that the 3D6 is a little more efficient, hence more power to the wheels and less heat. We should be mainly talking about peak power in the region of 80-90kph though. This is the only value that can be well compared if we dont want to go into a complex integrate calculation of the power curve ;-)

Reactions: Lindenwood
The very best time I know from a MIG MYP 2022 is 12.1s were there are several 11-12s times from US cars, but that is no the point. The main focus should not be the times we see at 90%+ SoC, but the ones we see at maybe 70-75%. This were a hot Panasonic starts to drop below its 430kW power limit, were the LG starts to drop from 100% straight away. Were there are some 3,8s runs in the MYP with LG5L, there are only 4,2s runs at 70-80% SoC. The LG can provide the power to meet the advertised numbers. The key question is, for how long?

The battery packs. More info can be found here - use caution it's in German ;-)

Yes and I can imagine that the 3D6 is a little more efficient, hence more power to the wheels and less heat. We should be mainly talking about peak power in the region of 80-90kph though. This is the only value that can be well compared if we dont want to go into a complex integrate calculation of the power curve ;-)
The full rpm power curve for the cat 2 and cat 3 should clear up a lot of things. Looking through the data you linked to it appears the cat 3 is consuming the same amount of power (based on same voltage and amps) but is outputting about 6.8% more power.

The full rpm power curve for the cat 2 and cat 3 should clear up a lot of things. Looking through the data you linked to it appears the cat 3 is consuming the same amount of power (based on same voltage and amps) but is outputting about 6.8% more power.
Drive Unit Cat 2 and 3 are completely identical in the real world as it is both the 3D3/3D6 motor combination and both motors are ready to use their max power limits of 630Ax335V and 840x320V. I really dont know why they are rated at different maximum power, when all values are overshot by far. I've test run my Model 3 Performance 2022 (DU CAT2) and another users MYP 2022 (DU CAT3) and the DU CAT2 in my car sends more power to the wheels, because the Panasonic delivers more power.

Looking at some 1/4 mile times for MIG and US cars there is less than 0.1s between them so we aren’t seeing differences in the real world it seems. 3L with the less powerful motors vs 5L with the more powerful motors as a system doesn’t appear to have a notable gap in performance.

It wasn’t clear on the motor graphs but is there cat. 2 and cat. 3 variant data?
These cars are INCREDIBLY consistent if all parameters are held the same. I typically only see a few hundredths variation in times over the 1/4 mile. 0-60 mph times I see about .01 difference typically.

If someone is running .1 seconds faster in the 1/5 mile with these cars then I would consider that to be a significant difference.

Reactions: Lindenwood
These cars are INCREDIBLY consistent if all parameters are held the same. I typically only see a few hundredths variation in times over the 1/4 mile. 0-60 mph times I see about .01 difference typically.

If someone is running .1 seconds faster in the 1/5 mile with these cars then I would consider that to be a significant difference.
We are talking not on a drag strip here. In less than ideal road conditions numbers can be much less consistent.

Reactions: kessel_run
Drive Unit Cat 2 and 3 are completely identical in the real world as it is both the 3D3/3D6 motor combination and both motors are ready to use their max power limits of 630Ax335V and 840x320V. I really dont know why they are rated at different maximum power, when all values are overshot by far. I've test run my Model 3 Performance 2022 (DU CAT2) and another users MYP 2022 (DU CAT3) and the DU CAT2 in my car sends more power to the wheels, because the Panasonic delivers more power.
How are you measuring the motor output in these conditions?

How are you measuring the motor output in these conditions?
Just logging Scan My Tesla Numbers. So, when I say 430kW, then this is peak Bat Power in SMT, not me owning a Dyno or similar. It really only is comparing BMS numbers from the same manufacturer and guessing that they are all off by the same amount to real wheel power.

In this case the motors and inverters are identical. It is just a different chassis and battery pack. I also use dragy as a secondary tool for measuring the 0-100 / 100-200 and 1/4mile times.

Just did a 9,4s 100-200 with my 2022 M3P which is the fastest result of a M3P in the database. This was at 90% without heating up the pack first, so it might get even better. I am pretty sure that part of this good result is down to that new 3D6 rear motor, that our US friends don't have access to (yet).

Just logging Scan My Tesla Numbers. So, when I say 430kW, then this is peak Bat Power in SMT, not me owning a Dyno or similar. It really only is comparing BMS numbers from the same manufacturer and guessing that they are all off by the same amount to real wheel power.

In this case the motors and inverters are identical. It is just a different chassis and battery pack. I also use dragy as a secondary tool for measuring the 0-100 / 100-200 and 1/4mile times.

Just did a 9,4s 100-200 with my 2022 M3P which is the fastest result of a M3P in the database. This was at 90% without heating up the pack first, so it might get even better. I am pretty sure that part of this good result is down to that new 3D6 rear motor, that our US friends don't have access to (yet).
Would be good to get some back to back dyno comparisons on the wheel outputs on a 2022 M3P cat 2 and cat 3.

Do we really think that the 3D6 makes 6.8% more mechanical power for the same electrical power as the 3D1?

It does seem to have more high speed torque from the improvement in 100-200kph time.
It consumes the same amount of power despite the higher output. Different magnets, tolerances and casing can have significant impact on the power output. What is the difference between these motors?

We are talking not on a drag strip here. In less than ideal road conditions numbers can be much less consistent.
Dragstrip doesn’t even seem to matter with the Model 3 Performance for traction. I never have had it break loose even on regular streets. Dragstrip is necessary because running these speeds on regular streets just isn’t a prudent thing to do.

I honestly think the wheels or more specifically their moment of inertia is more relevant for acceleration than even the motors or battery will be. All of the data I have seen indicates that wheel+tire weight is the most significant factor for improving 1/4 mile times.

Dragstrip doesn’t even seem to matter with the Model 3 Performance for traction. I never have had it break loose even on regular streets. Dragstrip is necessary because running these speeds on regular streets just isn’t a prudent thing to do.

I honestly think the wheels or more specifically their moment of inertia is more relevant for acceleration than even the motors or battery will be. All of the data I have seen indicates that wheel+tire weight is the most significant factor for improving 1/4 mile times.
It affects the tyre grip in a linear way so exact comparisons would have to be done on the same piece of road. It won’t break grip as it controls the traction. Plus I can only find 2 data points for Berlin made cars and 100s for US ones. The data varies wildly as you can imagine on the US ones, some more than 4s to 60 and 13s 1/4 mile times.

Reactions: kessel_run